Model Zone in Administration & to close

Mike

This news really saddens me, it seems impossible for bricks and mortar stores to compete as viable businesses nowadays, especially in the more "niche" markets like ours :(

Neither surprised nor terribly bothered.....Never actually set foot in Modelzone as there isn't one in the area. :shrug:

Stores like these contributed to closing down all the traditional LMS in my area and now it's their turn.....C'est la vie! :whistle:

• Like 2

Found this interesting comment which sums up their problems by their former Chief Exec

ModelZone founder and current chief executive of Hawkins Bazaar David Mordecai said: “It is owned by private equity and I don’t think they understood the niche market. Before I left a year ago, ModelZone was doing well and continuing to show like-for-like growth. Since then the owners thought they could go mass market but it meant they didn’t offer model enthusiasts the product they wanted.”

So hopefully they may survive by cutting shops and focusing again on what they are supposed to, buts thats for the Administrators to work out once they are formally appointed.

The one in Chester is my last link with Arts & Crafts... a model shop I grew up with. They moved premises, then sold out to MZ some years back

Great service when it was the Arts and Crafts Studio. All the staff in a shirt and tie and when you bought a kit they carefully wrapped it in their branded paper like a Christmas present.

I thought Modelzone was the retail outlet for Amerang.

It used to be, but a management buy out in 2009 saw it become a stand alone company.

Does that mean they are both in administration?

Julien

I would't have to mean that Julien as they would be sister companies with a common owner, and distinct legal entities. But if MZ Ltd is in trouble I doubt that will be very good for Amerang.

Pat

Two thoughts...

A. It's ironic on the same day that Britmodeller announces its 11000th member. So this proves there is * some * interest

In modeling out there.

B. Whilst they may (I stress,may) have failed at bricks and mortar retailing, they've also failed on the internet side with a woeful website (most things out of stock whilst it's still in the stores),Useless search facility and mostly standard RRP prices. Not even the usual 10% off offered by Wonderland,Relish etc.

However HMV, Game and Jessops have made it back albeit with a smaller presence so maybe some hope - although both the product and target-market demographic are a bit different.

Here's hoping.

Edited by sennapod

Website is down

"On 25 June 2013, Richard Michael Hawes, Nicholas Guy Edwards and Robert James Harding of Deloitte LLP were appointed Joint Administrators of Modelzone Holdings Limited, The Amerang Group Limited, Modelzone Limited and Amerang Limited (together the "Companies"). The affairs, business and property of the Companies are being managed by the Joint Administrators. The Joint Administrators act as agents of the Companies only and contract without personal liability. The Joint Administrators are authorised by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW). All licensed Insolvency Practitioners of Deloitte LLP are licensed in the UK"

Not the best news we could have asked for, is it? Cue a short term glut of Hasegawa kits, then a shortage until the new importer gets their feet under the table. :hmmm:

Will they be cheaper or more expensive? We'll have to wait & see.

I think it'll depend on the Administrators' plan of action. I'd maybe expect a few days of closed doors initially, with a possible re-opening if they decide that selling them as a going concern is the best course. If they decide to asset strip to feed the creditors, then the shops might close for good at any point.

Of course, I'm just postulating, because we truly don't know at this juncture. :shrug:

Does anyone know if they were run as shops owned and run by the chain, or whether they were franchises? It'd never crossed my mind until now.

So where will we buy exhorbitently priced Hasegawa kits from now then?

I hope Modelzone comes out of this in some recognisable shape. I don't see any natural buyers for the chain - too big for Hannants to absorb?

Trevor

Apparently MZ's founder is interested in buying it back. Only source is in Retail week.
It'll be interesting to see what happens but I'm massively saddened by it, the lads in the Sunderland store are absolutely fantastic.

Not the best news we could have asked for, is it? Cue a short term glut of Hasegawa kits, then a shortage until the new importer gets their feet under the table. :hmmm:

Will they be cheaper or more expensive? We'll have to wait & see.

Hasegawa kits more expensive? Could that be possible....??!! :blink2: :yikes:

I'd intended to pre-order some of the to be re-released Fujimi kits they listed a week or so ago, but they'd all gone by the time I got around to it. Glad I dawdled now....

This news really saddens me, it seems impossible for bricks and mortar stores to compete as viable businesses nowadays, especially in the more "niche" markets like ours :(

Yet in the U.S. they manage to keep quite a few of their LMS's going, wonder where it went wrong in the U.K.?

Remembering the haemorrhage of LMS,s started in the late 60's, early 70's.

Number of thoughts,

1. Lack of stock knowledge.

2. Lack of customer service.

3. Lack of stock.

4. Lack of training.

5. Don't give a damn attitude.

6. Poor management.

7. Greedy people at the top (knowing now the principle shareholders are a banking group :shutup: !!! )

8. or simply, too many lookers and not enough buyers?

• Like 1