Model Zone in Administration & to close

Mike

Cheers for looking, still can't justify the high price even with 30% off for the redbull, I'm a classic F1 man at heart. And the Ferrari I picked up the other day if its the 312.

9688407782_912064cba7_c.jpg

Untitled by robinecs, on Flickr

That's some of my build stash waiting for the winter, of which 4 of the kits (and the diecast) came from modelzone so I'll be sad to see them go.

Without acting like a vulture, I wonder if I could have got the saab Draken reduced more. I've wanted that kit since I laid eyes on it months ago. It was only £26ish but I still think it could be had for cheaper. I would have probably bought it today but I must keep money for the new Chester le street shop, I hope I'll get one at the new shop.

Sod it prowler, didn't know they were going down the tubes. Now what i ask?

Depends on where you live, by the look of things.

Some places are catered for, others not so much....

Then there's this "internet" thing that's doin the rounds.

for me, it'll be t'internet, mostly. but i'm a lazy git, & traveling & me are not happy bedfellows! *sigh*, bed...!

went to coydon mz yesterday,and what as sad sight it was,kit floor shut and all stock upstairs, railway dept blocked off, and cabinets emptied ready to be sold very little in the way of kits to be seen its teir last day today i think, rumours continue that wh smith have bought the mz name,i dont know what to make of that tbh...i think remaining stock will be moved into the old allders store to be sold off.i will pop into bromley store today for the last time.

• Like 1

WH Smith's going into the modelling buisness? - Actually that's not a bad idea, at least it would get the modelling magazines off the bottom shelf (my poor knees aplaud that idea) as they would be better co-located with the kits.

Afternoon, All.

I would like to echo Cockney Col's sentiments... very best of luck to all MZ staff in finding new jobs in these very difficult times. Your old employer will be missed by a lot of us and it's sad to see MZ go down the tubes, despite the way the stores were going. I hope that there is some truth in the rumours about W.H. Smiths taking the business over, but I wouldn't hold my breath over that one. I guess this is a very sad reflection of how the high-street retail business is going now.

Cheers.

Chris.

Went for my last visit to the MZ in Kingston today very sad to see it go as i just remember it being Beatties all those years ago. Got a 1/9 Bane figure and a Star Trek shuttle, My son is upset he liked going into MZ and pestering me to buy him model helicopters etc.

Richard

visited croydon mz yesterday and bromley mz for the last time today,bought a 1/72 airfix bf109 trop as a goodbye purchase,both shops looked pretty sad,staff cool though,rumour of a new shop in croydon opening,by who i do not know may just be a rumour, new model railway shop already open in sidcup,and doing very well by all accounts ,some old mz stock maybe sold on the old allders grounds in croydon,but most stock i believe will be resold to other shops.the end i suppose?.....

• Like 1

WH Smith's going into the modelling buisness? - Actually that's not a bad idea, at least it would get the modelling magazines off the bottom shelf (my poor knees aplaud that idea) as they would be better co-located with the kits.

Well are they? Who says?

It's only pipe dreaming on my behalf, but Smiths sell stationary - in most cases a wide range of stationary. If they started selling paints & brushes from Hornby alongside stationary, then a few kits would be the next logical step. Our branch of The Works started stacking Revell & Airfix, I often step inside to see how they have been selling & can see that most of the stock has sold and been replaced, so it is selling. No reason why Smiths can't. Much like they used to, mind you that was thirty years ago.

Smiths do have a small chain of book specific stores, they could have a modellers corner right next to the military and transport sections! Only a pipe dream.

Martin

Went for my last visit to the MZ in Kingston today very sad to see it go as i just remember it being Beatties all those years ago.

Richard

That is sad, I purchased quite a few kits from Beatties in Kingston back in the late 70's when I was a student, still have a Hasegawa 1/32nd F-104C Starfighter and a 1/72nd B-47E in the stash complete with Beatties prices stickers.

Michael

WH Smiths in Ipswich sell Tamiya, Airfix, Revell kits, paints, brushes etc and Hornby railway stuff.

Admittedly not a big range, it's all on one rack about 15 feet long, but it's a start.......

Reasonable prices too. No sign of MZ labelling anywhere though.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

WH Smith's going into the modelling buisness? - Actually that's not a bad idea, at least it would get the modelling magazines off the bottom shelf (my poor knees aplaud that idea) as they would be better co-located with the kits

Older Dublin residents might remember when Eason, a newsagent and bookshop, carried quite an extensive model kit section. That said, they haven't for many years now.

Joseph

That is sad, I purchased quite a few kits from Beatties in Kingston back in the late 70's when I was a student, still have a Hasegawa 1/32nd F-104C Starfighter and a 1/72nd B-47E in the stash complete with Beatties prices stickers.

Michael

At least Beattie's in Kingston stayed a model shop. The one in North End, Croydon became a branch of Ann Summers. I guess it still sells toys...

Joseph

• Like 1

Well as of an hour ago, no ModelZone in Bromley now, me and my colleagues have spent the last 2 days clearing the place, very sad sight, looks horrible. hopefully something will come out of it and something will hopefully open up again, its been a good expereince and met some very good people, i will say i will not miss the nitro cars, (i wont swear on here haha) will miss the kits, tools and paints etc tho. onwards and upwards i guess...

• Like 4

well went into Eastbourne earlier, their last day trading today it was a very sad sight.

picked up a few final bits, and wished the guys all the best for the future ( none have got jobs as yet, nothing to be had apparently....what I hear you cry? in the affluent South East?....yeah right! )

All very sad...and by the 'grace of God' etc

The last branches close for the final time today.Metrocentre closed for the last time on Thursday so I left with my Airfix Gladiator,three cans of TS-13,some Tamiya sandpaper and my P45 ;-)

Best of luck in the future mate.

Was it you that built the kits in display cabinet.

The reason i mentioned it was they were very good and i purchased a couple of kits because of how good they were.