Model Zone in Administration & to close

Mike

Any body know the current situation with the Norwich MZ store?

Wasn't it MZ who bought out the Kellers sole trading shop?

Martin

I am certain that Norwich closed on Thursday the 29th Martin. I popped in on Wednesday and picked up a couple of Dragon Space bits.

It is a huge shame, Kellers was a wonderful shop, at least we still have Langleys which of course with the demise of MZ should see an increase in footfall.

Regards Mike

Popped into the Glasgow store, still on mostly 20% discounts but alot of stuff is shifting, they will be closing 2 weeks today (14th September)

Thanks for the heads-up on that, Jim - I'll be in Glasgow next Saturday but wasn't going to bother checking MZ as I assumed they'd already closed down.

Any body know the current situation with the Norwich MZ store?

Wasn't it MZ who bought out the Kellers sole trading shop? All the Kellers employees it seemed, went on to work in the MZ shop.

Now what? Can't believe that there's now just the one shop in Norwich that sells kits. It was a major port of call for me if I was in Norwich. So sad, I hope that the employees find good work,

Martin

Hi chap,

Depending where you are coming in from, you have the model shop in the arcade in the City Centre (Langleys ?) next to the Colemans Mustard shop, you may also want to pop upstairs in the Toyshop near the TA Centre on the Aylesham Road.

Edited by PLC1966

Bristol branch closed today 5:30pm :(

Really sad for the people working there, but I always thought stockwise, it was very poor for models, loads of Die-Cast stuff if that's your type of thang....

I thought it may be an idea to consolidate all the shop status information in one place as the Modelzone page doesn't show closing dates (here; http://image2.e-msg.co.uk/modelzone/store_locator.html )

I'll try and keep it up to date an new intel arrives;

Basingstoke: Unit 56 Festival Place, Hampshire, RG21 7BF CLOSES 14/9

Birmingham: S26 Martineau Place, 89/90 Bull St, Birmingham, West Midlands, B4 7AA

Brighton: 37 West St, Brighton, Brighton, East Sussex, BN1 2RE

Bristol: The Galleries, Unit BG22 Broadmead Gallery, Bristol, Avon, BS1 3XB CLOSED 29/8

Bromley: 272 The Glades Shopping Centre, High St, Bromley, Kent, BR1 1DN

Cambridge: 15 Fitzroy St, Cambridgeshire, CB1 1ER

Chester: 71-73 Bridge St Row East, Cheshire, CH1 1NW

Crawley: Unit 97, County Mall Shopping Centre, Crawley, West Sussex, RH10 1FD

Croydon: Unit 31 Centrale Shopping Centre, North End, Croydon, Surrey, CR0 1TY

Derby: Level 1 South Mall, Shopping Centre, Westfield, Derby,DE1 2PG CLOSES 14/9

Eastbourne: 68 Seaside Road, Eastbourne, East Sussex, BN21 3PD CLOSES 14 OR 16/9

Gateshead: 75 Russell Way, Metro Centre, Gateshead, Tyne & Wear, NE11 9XX

Glasgow: Unit 69/70, St. Enoch Centre, St, Enoch Square, Glasgow, G1 4BW CLOSES 14/9

Harrogate: Unit 30 Victoria Centre, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG1 1AE

Kingston: 30/32 Eden St, Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, KT1 1EP

Lakeside: Unit 96 Lakeside Shopping Centre, Thurrock, Essex, RM20 2ZG CLOSES 14/9

London - Stratford: Unit SU0061, Westfield Stratford City, 2 Stratford Place, Stratford, London, E20 1EJ CLOSES W/C 26/8

Manchester: 209 Deansgate, Manchester, M3 3NW

Merry Hill: 59 Upper Mall, Merry Hill Centre, Dudley, DY5 1SR

Milton Keynes: 17 Acorn Walk, The Centre : MK, Milton Keynes, MK9 3AD

Newcastle: 129 Grainger St, Newcastle, NE1 5AE

Norwich: 54/55 Castle Mall, Norwich, Norfolk, NR1 3DD CLOSED 29/8

Nottingham: 149 Upper Boardwalk, Broadmarsh Centre, Nottingham, NG1 7LQ

Plymouth: 22 Frankfort Gate, City Centre, Plymouth, Devon, PL1 1QD

Portsmouth: 105D Commercial Road, Portsmouth, Hampshire,PO1 1BQ CLOSED 29/8

Reading: Unit 65/66, Broad St Mall, Reading, Berkshire, RG1 7QE CLOSES 14/9

Southampton: 85 Above Bar St, Southampton, Hampshire, SO14 7FG

Hope this helps people plan visits and avoid unnecessary journeys and/or upset!

If you use google to search modelzone closed stores, you will easily find out 11 stores had been closed on the 28th of August.

They are Manchester, Southampton, Portsmouth, Crawley, Nottingham, Norwich, Plymouth, Merry Hill, Dudley, Stratford, Bristol .

Thanks for the update Adam. Merry Hill, Dudley is one store and I've ammended the list.

The reason for it was to let people know when the stores were closing as several had been reported shut elsewhere that were actually still open. My local store in Nottingham has been shut down twice already!

Looks like all the rest will be 14/9

Cheers Airgunner list ammended.

thought it may be an idea to consolidate all the shop status information in one place as the Modelzone page doesn't show closing dates (here; http://image2.e-msg....re_locator.html )

I'll try and keep it up to date an new intel arrives;

Basingstoke: Unit 56 Festival Place, Hampshire, RG21 7BF CLOSES 12/9

Birmingham: S26 Martineau Place, 89/90 Bull St, Birmingham, West Midlands, B4 7AA

Brighton: 37 West St, Brighton, Brighton, East Sussex, BN1 2RE

Bristol: The Galleries, Unit BG22 Broadmead Gallery, Bristol, Avon, BS1 3XB CLOSED 29/8

Bromley: 272 The Glades Shopping Centre, High St, Bromley, Kent, BR1 1DN

Cambridge: 15 Fitzroy St, Cambridgeshire, CB1 1ER

Chester: 71-73 Bridge St Row East, Cheshire, CH1 1NW

Crawley: Unit 97, County Mall Shopping Centre, Crawley, West Sussex, RH10 1FD CLOSED 29/8

Croydon: Unit 31 Centrale Shopping Centre, North End, Croydon, Surrey, CR0 1TY

Derby: Level 1 South Mall, Shopping Centre, Westfield, Derby,DE1 2PG

Eastbourne: 68 Seaside Road, Eastbourne, East Sussex, BN21 3PD

Gateshead: 75 Russell Way, Metro Centre, Gateshead, Tyne & Wear, NE11 9XX

Glasgow: Unit 69/70, St. Enoch Centre, St, Enoch Square, Glasgow, G1 4BW

Harrogate: Unit 30 Victoria Centre, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG1 1AE

Kingston: 30/32 Eden St, Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, KT1 1EP

Lakeside: Unit 96 Lakeside Shopping Centre, Thurrock, Essex, RM20 2ZG

London - Stratford: Unit SU0061, Westfield Stratford City, 2 Stratford Place, Stratford, London, E20 1EJ CLOSED 29/8

Manchester: 209 Deansgate, Manchester, M3 3NW CLOSED 29/8

Merry Hill: 59 Upper Mall, Merry Hill Centre, Dudley, DY5 1SR CLOSED 29/8

Milton Keynes: 17 Acorn Walk, The Centre : MK, Milton Keynes, MK9 3AD

Newcastle: 129 Grainger St, Newcastle, NE1 5AE

Norwich: 54/55 Castle Mall, Norwich, Norfolk, NR1 3DD CLOSED 29/8

Nottingham: 149 Upper Boardwalk, Broadmarsh Centre, Nottingham, NG1 7LQ CLOSED 29/8

Plymouth: 22 Frankfort Gate, City Centre, Plymouth, Devon, PL1 1QD CLOSED 29/8

Portsmouth: 105D Commercial Road, Portsmouth, Hampshire,PO1 1BQ CLOSED 29/8

Reading: Unit 65/66, Broad St Mall, Reading, Berkshire, RG1 7QE

Rochester: The Signal Box, 382-386 High Street, Rochester, Kent, ME1 1DJ CLOSES 12/9

Southampton: 85 Above Bar St, Southampton, Hampshire, SO14 7FG CLOSED 29/8

Hope this helps people plan visits and avoid unnecessary journeys and/or upset!

EDIT: Rochester Signal Box added (Missed off MZ list at administrators). Unless somebody tells us otherwise assume all shops WILL be closing on the 14/9, anything different I'll add.

Edited by SleeperService
  • Like 1

The remaining stores:

The other remaining branches are: Reading (six jobs), Basingstoke (eight), Rochester (11), Milton Keynes (six), Brighton (six), Bromley (eight), Harrogate (five), Croydon (eight), Kingston (six), Gateshead (eight), Newcastle (seven), the Lakeside Centre in Essex (six), Chester (six), Glasgow (seven), Cambridge (five) and Eastbourne (six).

From Insider news.

www.insidermedia.com/insider/midlands/97346-remaining-mids-modelzone-branches-close

I've been going to the Manchester store (I've always known it as the Bootle Street Model shop rather than Deansgate) since the early sixties, the first model I can recall buying there was the Frog R100 airship as my Christmas / birthday present . My trips to the city will never be the same now. :weep:

What model shops are there around Manchester now?

I've been going to the Manchester store (I've always known it as the Bootle Street Model shop rather than Deansgate) since the early sixties, the first model I can recall buying there was the Frog R100 airship as my Christmas / birthday present . My trips to the city will never be the same now. :weep:

Our paths must have surely crossed there since I've been going there since the early 60's myself. Very sad at what MZ have done to an institution.

Went there today on the off chance it was still open, very sad to see it closed.

You can buy Vallejo paints at Ian Allan, the only other shop in F & S in Audenshaw.

Went there today on the off chance it was still open, very sad to see it closed.

You can buy Vallejo paints at Ian Allan, the only other shop in F & S in Audenshaw.

Fred Aldous in the Northern Quarter has Humbrol paints (enamel and acrylic) and Airfix kits. The kits are on sale on their website, so I wonder if they are planning to stop carrying kits?

So the Ian Allen shop near Piccadilly station has gone?

There is also

The Locoshed

48 Bury Old Road, Whitefield, Manchester, Greater Manchester M45 6TL icon_tel.gif 0161 772 0103 icon_mob.gif 07590 413177

Opening Hours: TUES 10am-5.30pm, WED 10am-5.30pm, THUR 10am-7pm, FRI 10am-5.45pm, SAT 9am-5.45pm

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/shops/1388-The_Locoshed

NOTE : I don't know how accurate those opening hours currently are, best to phone up first and see what they got.

Lots and Lots of trains, but has some plane / tank / ship kits too, some are second-hand that I've not seen for a while too.

It was open as of about a month ago. Not been past there since.

Think that someone already mentioned F&S. Not sure where else there is around here these days. I've given up checking on-line, as so many shops in the various business directories no longer exist.

Regards,

Gerard