Model Zone in Administration & to close

Mike

The Airfix name is BIG perhaps they could have a store in the major cities. Not only selling their own products but also their competitors. Also able to redeem their flying hour vouchers in store would be a good idea.

I still think that Airfix if they was to open one store to survey the market, would make a killing because of their name.

Sorry to go off topic.

Robert

• Like 1

Now i don't know if this is true but my wife's friend just came over and told me that modelzone was going to become a internet only shop she said it was in the metro today, don't know if that's correct she does come out with some white lies sometimes.

Richard

I have to say that I think that attracting young potential-modellers to our hobby may be the fundamental issue which could (eventually) sound the death-knell for our hobby. There are WAY too many other things to take up kids' spare time these days (and we must not forget the fact that most modern kids wouldn't regard kit-bashing as "cool").

Do people only consider how the current generations fortunes are going? Maybe the storm-clouds are forming for model-making...

What do you think?

This other current thread has attempted to cover aspects of this. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234944858-is-there-a-bright-future-for-our-hobby/

Its a shame that it had to happen, it was one of the reasons that I got back into this hobby.

As for the staff I would just like to say that I hope that they all find employment in this tight times.

I know that my local store all but one have.

But the closing of MZ will not deter me from continueing this hobby, there are other shops around and with the web as well I think our hobby will be safe.

Popped into Basingstoke MZ today, nothing much on the shelves now, but the girl working in the shop told me they would be receiving stock from Maidstone and a couple of other stores on Wednesday, she also said they will be closing on September 14th.

For anyone thats interested us at the Bromley store are apparently recieving some stock from the closing Maidstone branch, some kits, paints and few bits of other stuff like die-cast etc and some stuff from the website (more kits i hope) so a bit of a positive for the last 3 weeks i guess.

• Like 2

For anyone thats interested us at the Bromley store are apparently recieving some stock from the closing Maidstone branch, some kits, paints and few bits of other stuff like die-cast etc and some stuff from the website (more kits i hope) so a bit of a positive for the last 3 weeks i guess.

will pop in regularly i hope to get a few more odds n ends before the end.

• Like 1

Why do people keep harping on about the demise of Modelzone being the death of modelling? It's 40 odd shops. It's not as if there was one on every High Street. What will happen to the hobby now? Well, as it survived 50 odd years before MZ, I'm thinking it will carry on as normal. In the 70s we had lots of independent bricks and mortor hobby shops, but now they are in the Internet. Kids are finding kits in ASDA, Home Bargains, The Works, Toymaster, Hobbycraft, Tesco. Shows are well attended, new kits and aftermarket are pouring out daily. The hobby won't die because some shops have shut on a small island. All that's going to happen is people are going to change their buying habits that's all.

• Like 5

Why do people keep harping on about the demise of Modelzone being the death of modelling? It's 40 odd shops. It's not as if there was one on every High Street. What will happen to the hobby now? Well, as it survived 50 odd years before MZ, I'm thinking it will carry on as normal. In the 70s we had lots of independent bricks and mortor hobby shops, but now they are in the Internet. Kids are finding kits in ASDA, Home Bargains, The Works, Toymaster, Hobbycraft, Tesco. Shows are well attended, new kits and aftermarket are pouring out daily. The hobby won't die because some shops have shut on a small island. All that's going to happen is people are going to change their buying habits that's all.

Agreed.

Sad, but agreed.

Roy.

As my main interest is sci-fi I was already buying most of my kits direct from Japan or the USA as they were at least 50% cheaper even after shipping....the main importer setting the joke prices in the UK was Amerang, Modelzone's owners....hmmm.....

The main reason I'll miss MZ was for paints which may prove a little problematic now that Royal Mail are refusing to deliver them.

I'm with Chadders on the 'death of modelling' too...the UK market may seem big but it's tiny compared to the markets in Asia, the US and Eastern Europe, and there's still plenty of independents and shows if you bother to look....

I was there on thusday. It shuts next week and there was still a decent selection of both Revell and Humbrol paints and also of kits. There were a few Klingon battle cruisers and a varied selection of other subjects. The only thing that caught my eye was the 1/16 Revell Rolls Royce Phantom for £18.

All kits at Stratford are now 30% off, and they still had a few Airfix 1/48 Merlins and 1/12 Bentleys on the shelves if anyone is interested.

Edited by Roo
  • Like 1

Croydon store still open on Saturday. Good selection of Humbrol and Revell paint, some Tamiya spray-cans. Kits starting to thin out. The damaged and part missing section had a few things left - including revell single-action spray guns (damaged, so good for parts only).. Still had some plastic card and other parts left. Lots of Star Trek and Star Wars Easykit items.

Chester still open and will be for as long as possible according to a salesperson there.

Lots of kits some paint.

Just picked up Academy 1/48 Tomahawk IIb for £5.99! (Is it any good?).

Trevor

out intrest does anyone know if theres much at the bristol branch ??? and when there closing/what discount are they

Bristol will close on 28th of August and Thursday is the last day. Paints are thin and lots of academy f-18 and f-16 1/72 kits. There are also some other kits such as p40, spitfire lancaster and from other brands. The discount for model kits is 30% off and 50% off for the paints and model tools. There're also airfix 1/48 Afghanistan package. Hope this helps.

Hello Everyone,

For anyone interested us at the BROMLEY store, had in today all the remaining stock from the Maidstone branch, mainly kits, few bits of die-cast and paints, i havent properly looked through it, i'll get a chance to put it out on the shelf tomorrow and book it in, but there is some Vallejo paints, tools, various Academy, Revell, Airfix, little bit more Tamiya and Hasegawa.

bit of both 1/72 and 1/48, some 1/35 but i'll get a better chance to see whats actually in the delivery tomorrow.

Hope this is useful information :)

Stuart

• Like 4