Model Zone in Administration & to close

Mike

Only couple of miles down the coast and I'm sure Jason will welcome you with open arms.

Paul

Best model shop that I've been to in the last 10 years...proper Aladins cave....Sackville Rd heading south, just under the railway bridge on the left

You not had a walk along to LSA in Hove then Rick?

No, I haven't . I've meant to the last couple of times I have been to brighton .

Will have to have look in. Thanks for the recommendation.

Edited by Rickpadwick1801

Col, at least you still have Models Unlimited, which is better than MZ was IMHO.

True, although it's always nice to have a choice, now Aberdeen has another name to add to the list of long-lost model shops. Now it's Hobbycraft or a trip to Elgin.

• Like 1

Eastbourne closing 16th Sept ( or was it the 14th?) they then have 2 days to pack up then it's "b****r off " to the staff...wished them all well & good luck in the future.

BTW not much left there

Thanks for the info.

Any Tamiya rattlecans left that you noticed?

Matt

It's only two months (bar a couple of days) since Mike started this thread with the announcement that MZ was going into administration. Since then this discussion has gone from discussing the whys and wherefores of their plight, hopes that something might be salvaged, concerns for the staff and the future of LHS and then to the various bargains to be had in the sale. Finally here we are, with many of the shops already closed, we are left to pick over a few tins of paint. Sad for for all concerned

• Like 3

This whole business has been very sad for the staff involved and I wish them all the best for the future. These are very difficult times to be looking for work, but it's not impossible...

Over 1,000 replies to this topic on just this one website....

Shows the wish / need UK modellers have for a national chain of shops?

What do you reckon?

• Like 1

This whole business has been very sad for the staff involved and I wish them all the best for the future. These are very difficult times to be looking for work, but it's not impossible...

Over 1,000 replies to this topic on just this one website....

Shows the wish / need UK modellers have for a national chain of shops?

What do you reckon?

I don't think you can draw the conclusion that we wish/need a national chain of shops from this.

Although you would think a large national chain would have the ability to drive some good deals with suppliers, I think the MZ episode has shown that they couldn't or wouldn't. So, although I would like to see more shops throughout the country, what I don't want to see is a clone of MZ. I'd prefer (though it's unlikely) to see more independent local shops.

• Like 2

Sad indeed. I echo sentiments in hoping that redundant staff either find another job or succeed in going independent.

I've said before it seems rather wrong circling around the wounded looking for bargains.

You take something for granted and only realise its true worth once it's disappeared.

Trevor

I have to say that I think that attracting young potential-modellers to our hobby may be the fundamental issue which could (eventually) sound the death-knell for our hobby. There are WAY too many other things to take up kids' spare time these days (and we must not forget the fact that most modern kids wouldn't regard kit-bashing as "cool").

Do people only consider how the current generations fortunes are going? Maybe the storm-clouds are forming for model-making...

What do you think?

Announcements of plastic modelling's death have been put forward often. However on-line stores seem to be the way to go as this is what today's 'yoof' are comfortable with.

I may only be exaggerating slightly if I say that the Amazon or QVC generation are the way to go. All you need ate a few 'seed' adverts strategically placed to keep awareness levels up.

Of course a 21st century Woolworth's type deal would be great - Home and Bargain, Asda or whatever's might work.

Trevor