Model Zone in Administration & to close

Mike

Reading staff very up-beat today - sales still paying the rent / picked up the revell harriers for a goods price, but despite my bargain A4 at lakeside last week, still over £50 today - ho hum......best wishes to all the staff....

SD

Last day for Leeds today. Went in yesterday and it looked terrible. A few kits left, Diecast galore. One of the workers said all stock left will be off to the Harrogate store which is staying open for the time being. Just wondering if there will be just a few stores left with even bigger discounts than the 30% on kits offered. Maybe when Modelzone has got down to a couple of stores someone will buy it then. Even the shop workers put Modelzones demise down to expanding too fast.

I hope someone somewhere is learning from this. The constant theme from these reports is that plastic kits are the only stock generating any interest, and they've gone like snow off a ditch, while the die-cast stuff and even the R/C languishes. :hmmm:

I hope someone somewhere is learning from this. The constant theme from these reports is that plastic kits are the only stock generating any interest, and they've gone like snow off a ditch, while the die-cast stuff and even the R/C languishes. :hmmm:

I was in Swansea shop for the last time this morning, and while I managed to spend £40 on kits, I was vastly outdone by the guy paying for £250 worth of diecasts at the same time...!!

However, all the time I was there, a couple of the guys were starting to take the stock being sent elsewhere out the back - and all I saw them take out were boxes full of RC stuff - so I guess that didn't move much at all.

Ipswich today for the last time.

A few model kits left, still at 30%. Nothing of interest so I bought my last batch of Tamiya paints and Revell Tinlets. Got a HUGE size cutting mat for £5.

Tons of die casts and r/c stuff left. Even the store fixtures and fittings were priced to go.

I was tempted by the Tamiya paints rack for £15 to go in my shed, instead of the card boxes full of MZ reduced rattle cans.

Sense prevailed and I said to myself, 'the card boxes take up less space!'

Bid farewell to the staff with hopes they will open an independent model shop soon.

Until then, going into Ipswich has lost its appeal.

Roy.

Even the store fixtures and fittings were priced to go.

Somebody was showing interest in one of the diecast ones when I was in the Swansea store earlier - he soon lost that interest when the manager told him that he (the customer) would have to get a qualified electrician to disconnect the connection for the cabinet lighting, as the administrators are apparently insisting on having fully signed up paperwork before the cabinets can be taken out of the shop...!!

Likewise, nothing of any appeal to drag me into my local city centre anymore....

Last day for Leeds today. Went in yesterday and it looked terrible. A few kits left, Diecast galore. One of the workers said all stock left will be off to the Harrogate store which is staying open for the time being. Just wondering if there will be just a few stores left with even bigger discounts than the 30% on kits offered. Maybe when Modelzone has got down to a couple of stores someone will buy it then. Even the shop workers put Modelzones demise down to expanding too fast.

Same here.

Bought nothing but a few last Tamiya paints. Mind you when they advertise a 'special' reduction to £10ish on a kit that was £6.99 a few weeks ago in the sale I find it hard to open the wallet.

• Like 1

I just got this email a few minutes ago........

Modelzone Limited in Administration
spacer.gif
You are receiving this email as at some time you have either purchased from or subscribed to Modelzone Limited and so we wanted to let you know what is happening with the company and thank you for your custom and support.

As you may be aware, Modelzone went into administration earlier this year, however, we have a number of exclusive in-store offers available which we will email you details of over the next few weeks.

Of course we respect your privacy and if you don't wish to hear from Modelzone please click here and your details will be removed from future communications*.

Once again, Modelzone would like to thank you for your support and we look forward to seeing you in-store soon.

How strange, as the stores are nearly all empty/ closed

I had one of those emails earlier... bit late in the day to send these out in my opinion. I would have thought this is the email they should have sent out when the news broke. One of the 2 MZ's I have within an hours drive has closed already.

I was in the Deansgate branch Saturday before last to make my last purchases from there. Stock was a bit thin and a couple of kits I fancied had been in the sale before the administrators were called in, and are now in the sale for £'s more. I fancied the Revell Taxi for instance which used to be £11 now 20% it's £22 price? No thanks.

Quite sad really... It's having a model shop in that building I'll miss rather than MZ as such. I only returned to the hobby last year but that shop is where I used to spend most of my money on kits in the late 80's. :weep:

Edited by SMD70
  • Like 1

Well been trawling the bay of e-vil for a Junkers Ju88 new tool to go in the stash and have found that someone is punting out what they must have bought in Modelzone at full RRP but with no postage charge incurred to the purchaser, whilst I admire entrepreneurial skills, This does kind of take the proverbial "Hug n' Kiss" a little bit. Coincidence maybe but all the kits on offer are strikingly familiar and would have been stocked recently.

So my second question is how well stocked is the Oxford Street store as I have thirty pounds burning a hole in my pocket. Is it worth while taking a de tour after work to spend my money? Any other city type modelers been in recently and how well stocked are they considering its right in the middle of town? Really fancy the Ju88

Does anyone know any news about the Kingston upon Thames store? Any news on closing date or stock levels???

Talking to the staff there last week they are in the in the top 6 in terms of sale and/or profitability so they should be one of the last to close, which might be at the end of this month.

There is still a decent selection of all types of kits, despite not receiving any new or redistributed stock in the last 2 months! Tools and paints are starting to look a bit sparse though.

Modelzone Eastbourne still open today.

Loads of Airfix, the odd Tamiya & a few Revell, Academy & a couple of Italeri but nothing I fancied/needed so left empty handed.

Loads of Tamiya spray & quite a bit of Revell paint both enamel & acrylic, didn't notice the Humbrol paints but most of the acrylic sprays have gone apart from a few odd colours.

Still loads of RC stuff & a reasonable selection of die cast.

Matt

Modelzone Eastbourne still open today.

Loads of Airfix, the odd Tamiya & a few Revell, Academy & a couple of Italeri but nothing I fancied/needed so left empty handed.

Loads of Tamiya spray & quite a bit of Revell paint both enamel & acrylic, didn't notice the Humbrol paints but most of the acrylic sprays have gone apart from a few odd colours.

Still loads of RC stuff & a reasonable selection of die cast.

Matt

Thanks Matt, that's good to know. Hopefully it will still be well stocked on Friday.

Rick

Visited the Bromley store and had a good conversation with Stuart who works for Modelzone and who keeps us updated with the news. Came out with a Revell 1/72 F-101B and AIrfix 1/72 Gnat.

Robert

• Like 1

I got that email too.......wonder if the remaining stock will be further discounted soon.

Andy

....and spookily today I got another email with a voucher entitling me to another 20% off in store.

A visit to Geordieland coming up me thinks !

Andy