Model Zone in Administration & to close

Mike

All stores, unknown the length of time they are to remain open, i'm hopefull that a buyer will be found 11th hour and all. But then if i was a buiyer i'd wait till stocks are pretty empty before taking over the brand, so I could start over with stock i want to sell.

It is a real shame as the guyes at Maidstone are great. I regulary have a natter to my dweebs Will, Maximus, Jo, Rich and George :-). Lets hope that if it re-opens under a different regime they can continue their employment there.

The group debt may be too large for a full buy out with the rent due this month on many of the properties, which will deter interested parties. i suspect they will watch it fold and then buy up the assets and the name as its possible some of the former traditional shops may be owned properties rather than the leased shopping centre ones. We'll have to wait and see but its a sad day to see our only LMS chain fold and take many former model shops with them.

My thoughts are with the staff in all the branches I call into from time to time. The overwhelming majority are friendly and helpful, and I only hope they're going to be able to find other work.

• Like 1

Yeah the staff at mine are great too even the Saturday girl shows an interest!

I remember at first they didn't take me too seriously until I spent about £700 on cmc models.

Good luck to the staff. Regardless of how good we perceive them to be or not to be - losing your job is crap.

Lets hope the locations arent bought up by Costalotta Bucks coffee or some other "do we really need another brand seling exactly the same as the others" chain.

Jonners

• Like 2

Amen Jonners... big chains removing any last vestige of individuality from the high street is not going to save them from becoming ghost towns. :fraidnot:

• Like 1

Just been in to the Eastbourne branch & spent just shy of £45 on a couple of kits & some consumables, the staff still haven't been told anything but Ben bless him did thank me for supporting the cause. Rather worryingly though the '50% Off' signs have been accompanied by 'Closing Down' signs so it doesn't look too promising on the face of it.

Poor bloke looked scared witless though understandably.

Hopefully heading up to Bluewater tomorrow to pick up paints and bits, that's of they have anything left!

Really sorry to hear that they will be closing completely, real shame the administrators can't seem/want to find a buyer. :(

Just been in to the Eastbourne branch & spent just shy of £45 on a couple of kits & some consumables, the staff still haven't been told anything but Ben bless him did thank me for supporting the cause. Rather worryingly though the '50% Off' signs have been accompanied by 'Closing Down' signs so it doesn't look too promising on the face of it.

Poor bloke looked scared witless though understandably.

I spent quite a bit in Eastbourne yesterday, & will go back tomorrow with a list I knocked up.

Really feel for the guys there, nice bunch of chaps, hope it all works out for them re jobs etc

I know we all like a bargain & if we don't buy the goods someone else will, but I must admit I feel like a Vulture...it's a feeling I don't much like.

It looks like modelzone has finally announced closure. The sales should be good mind. It is a shame for the staff and you never know, another model retailer might emerge.

• Like 1

Online it states that the staff at the headquarters in Sussex have gone.was on the phone to Reading branch this afternoon for info, and as yet they haven't been informed of any changes at all, and will be opening tomorrow as usual. chris

Having been told the news yesterday and working for Model Zone at the Bromley store in London, for anyone on here who has been in there and possibly who i may have met over the last few years, would like to say thanks for the support and contributions, its been good, enjoyable experience and i've learnt alot.

• Like 5

Really sad story. I just keep hoping that something good/better will eventually emerge out of this. A new, exciting model shop, an importer/distributor with a more realistic pricing policy... Perhaps we all should open a little local shop wherever we are - I actually have some plans for the more long-term future, not strictly a shop though :coolio:.

All the best to the staff, a really horrible situation to be in.

Jeffrey

i see its 6 weeks to close all the stores,i popped into the bromley shop today and got some tamiya paint at 50percent off,got to [also ] say great staff in the bromley and croydon stores,i hope i can keep in touch with them great modellers and very knowledgable on various subjects,and to be quite honest i enjoyed my stints at bluewater and croydon,shame the firm lost its direction and let their staff down.

• Like 3

Popped in to the Leeds Branch today and the closing down signs were in the window, although on Monday the staff seemed pretty optimistic so its been pretty quick by the sound of it .Crossgates models aside that's it for Leeds now.