1/48 BAE Hawk

Came across this kit for cheap and thought I would give it a go.

• Kit manufacture: Airfix
  • Scale: 1/48
  • Type: BAE Hawk
  • Extras used: Eduard Cockpit Set, Eduard RBF etch
  • Paints and colours used: Tamiya

This kit is part of an overall diorama I am in the process of making and thought I would attempt to do a tiger like camo pattern (privately owned jet and then re-painted etc)

100_3626_1024x768.jpg

100_3606_1024x768.jpg

100_3627_1024x768.jpg

100_3628_1024x768.jpg

100_3631_1024x768.jpg

100_3633_1024x768.jpg

100_3635_1024x768.jpg

100_3594_1024x768.jpg

100_3596_1024x768.jpg

100_3599_1024x768.jpg

Heres a few pictures of the build itself...

The resin cockpit and seats were assembled and then detailed with the brush and correct colours.

100_3542_1024x768.jpg

Nose weights added

100_3569_1024x768.jpg

Canopy time. The explosive white thing in the canopy is indented inside the canopy allowing me to apply some white paint.

100_3572_1024x768.jpg

I then removed the excess paint using thinners and an old rag, thus leaving a reasonable finish.

100_3573_1024x768.jpg

The model was then primed and pre-shade. In hindsight I should have used grey instead of black as it was a nightmare to cover with the orange.

100_3575_1024x768.jpg

The model was then painted orange and blue tac used to mask the areas which would remain orange.

100_3576_1024x768.jpg

Here are the remove before flight tags.

100_3604_1024x768.jpg

Dont think the build has turned out too bad, its something different and can imagine a privately owned hawk being painted in something similar to this.

Hope you enjoy

Dan

• Like 4

Thanks for replies folks. The det cord thing is a fine balance as its easy to remove too much paint for the canopy and is the first time ive tried it. equally, its easy enough to patch up at the end. the tip is to put in very little.

Edited by F4TCT

Nice scheme for a Hawk although I do think you've gone a bit heavy with the orange given that you did some preshading and now none of it is visible. The general paint finish also appears to ressemble orange peel. Would make a good advert for Terrys Chocolate Orange!!!!

Nice scheme for a Hawk although I do think you've gone a bit heavy with the orange given that you did some preshading and now none of it is visible. The general paint finish also appears to ressemble orange peel. Would make a good advert for Terrys Chocolate Orange!!!!

A bit harsh.

A bit harsh.

Not harsh at all, just being honest about what I am seeing in the photos thats all. I haven't said anything negative towardS F4TCT, it's just observation.

Well forgive me for it being only my 2nd model....

The paint is actually very smooth. Klear was applied and it went that way.

It is a galant effort. Klear can have a nasty habit of finding things that may not initially be quite apparant and depending on how thickly the Klear is applied, will depend on how much it shows up anything. It is nevertheless a well built model, and as it is only your second model, you will find things to improve on when you build your next one. It is a learning process as much as anything else I was by no means trying to be totally negative, just more constructive in the feedback.

It is a galant effort. Klear can have a nasty habit of finding things that may not initially be quite apparant and depending on how thickly the Klear is applied, will depend on how much it shows up anything. It is nevertheless a well built model, and as it is only your second model, you will find things to improve on when you build your next one. It is a learning process as much as anything else I was by no means trying to be totally negative, just more constructive in the feedback.

Hey F4TCT, Klear is suppose to be self leveling but it doesnt always want to do that :evil_laugh: . You might find you have to break the surface tension :fight: of it to get it to want to lay down nicely for that I use windolene window cleaner the same thing I use to clean my airbrush with after spraying future. But instead of a full squirt you only need a small squize into your colour cup on the airbrush and lay down thin coats at a higher air pressure 20-30psi. Just my 2 cents hope it helps for the next one :2c::coolio: