Hi guys! Started another project few days ago. Trumpeter MiG-3 Early version. Nice kit. Also I got Eduard photo etched set for cockpit.

Artbox

Trumpeter_MiG-3_Early_4903.jpg

got few books as references

1.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

With planning to get A. Pokrishkin plane... probably something like this:

mig-3.jpg

I know this kit got few mistakes but not critical. Going to change armour back plate on pilot seat and not to use harness straps because no one wartime photo showed it. So, lets go rock and roll :)

Tried to deepen and make thinner pilot's seat

IMG_7080.JPG

First version armour back plate beside original one

IMG_7082.JPG

Progress at the moment.

IMG_7109.JPG

IMG_7113.JPG

IMG_7114.JPG

Hope you like it :)

Ivan.

Edited by tinleeds
  • Like 6

Very nice!

I built or rather finished this recently. Very good fit with the parts except the intakes at the wing roots - very fiddly.

I look forward to progress!

Trevor

Thank you guys :)

Jason, I used Tamiya XF-53 with couple drops white (my interpritacion of A-14) and Valejo model air 71.021 (RLM70) for analog of АПГ-5 or APG-5. (in my opinion :) )

We had a lot of conversation about this colors on Russian modeling forum. http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_46762_start_0.html

Few photos

Ivan.

90602473.jpg

1371822209_hBxM5CMg.jpg

1371822550_54435ecd1af3.jpg

1371822207_90602475.jpg

АПГ-5 APG-5:

1371880519_5852055.jpg

A-14:

1371880550_rrrrsrrrrrjor-006.jpg

Edited by tinleeds

Thank you for the photographs, Ivan! A-14 I know about, but I don't remember APG-5. I presume that's a primer? Was it a pre-GPW colour? It wasn't used on Il-2's or I'm sure I would have heard about it.

Regards,

Jason

You are right Jason. ALG-5 (sorry for my mistake, should be ALG-5 instead APG-5. Russian "П" and "Л" looks a bit similar :doh: ) is a primer and it was mixt from ALG-1 and A-14 and was a bit dark grey-green. I have no idea about Il-2 you should know much more than me but I can ask on scalemodels's forum about it and let you know result. but it looks like one colour for panels and structure:

il_2.jpg

Ivan.

Edited by tinleeds

Yes, I've seen those, Ivan. The first two are of an Il-2 in a museum in Kiev, I believe, and the second is a rare GPW photograph of the instrument panel (a captured example - notice how a German souvenir-hunter has already pried one of the instruments out). The Kiev wreck seems to show ALG-1 (the yellowish colour), and ALG-5 (the greenish colour). However, I think it may very well all be ALG-5 that has weathered to a yellowish colour in places (it seems strange that the Soviets would use two primers on an all-metal cockpit). There doesn't seem to be any A-14 Steel Grey (the greyish colour on the floor is probably just oxidised aluminium), but it may have just weathered off. The GPW photograph shows the panel to be painted in a light colour, perhaps AE-9 Light Grey. For what it's worth, I use Testors Model Master Neutral Gray for my A-14, and MM Camouflage Gray for the instrument panel colour.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

• 3 months later...

I'm not an expert on early MIG aircrafts, but it is my humble opinion that you have exaggerated - just a bit - with the weathering on the cockpit's floor. What do you think?

Everything else look great. Keep up the good work!

Cheers

Sernak

Stunning work Ivan. Always liked the MiG-3 but not an aircraft I know much about. Will be watching out for your progress on this one now :goodjob:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you all guys! I'm so glad you like it :)

Sorry for long period of silent, as I said before this project going slowly. But for last time I got some progress and tested new tool for drilling.

Picture+031.jpg

A little upgrade for under-wing area.

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

make thinner rear wheel cover

IMG_0008.JPG

A bit upgrade of landing gear

IMG_0010.JPG

Ready for primer

IMG_0011.JPG

• Like 2

Hi Ivan,

I have just run across this build and I like the additional work you are adding to it. It may be too late now, but given the extra detail you are adding I thought it might be of interest to mention that Trumpeter did not quite get the correct configuration on the exhaust openings. If my memory serves, these early MiG-3's did not have the raised lip above and below the exhausts. Further, the fairing at the front of the exhausts appears to be something between the early short fairing and the later long one. If you are interested in messing around with this, please reply here. I think I still have some in-progress pictures that show what I did. And if you are not particularly interested, that is perfectly fine as well.

HTH, Jim

Thank you very much Jim! I still interesting about exhaust area. A was thinking to change it but to sure if I can do it... When I was started this model I was planed to have a relax and joy without any big modification but I'm afraid fall into protracted project :) Anyway I so glad if you like it and I'll be very appreciated for any help and inspiration :) and photo from yours WIP you can post here, it'll be great! :)

And now I got some more progress pictures:

I drilled a little hole and touched with paint

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0015.JPG

IMG+001.jpg

IMG+005.jpg

Place in a wing painted with aluminium paint and after dry will fix with Clearfix.

Hi Ivan,

I do a similar treatment of wingtip lights, and they will look even better on the finished plane.

It will take about as much time for me to write out the update I did to the kit cowlings as it will to actually do it, and of course it will be up to you to give it a try or take a pass. First, the shroud at the front of the slot where the exhausts fit is incorrect for the early MiG-3; it can be cut off using the slot itself as a guide. As with so much in modeling, taking things slowly and with care will mean fewer errors and extra things to repair. Next, the kit has raised ridges along the top and bottom of the exhaust slot which need to be sanded off. I applied thin tape right next to each raised ridge and sanded them down. With the tape there, you can quickly get down to about the thickness of a piece of paper without damaging the surface detail. After that, I switched to narrow, fine sanding sticks and worked the remaining plastic off, sanding along the slot edge (front to back) rather than across the slot (top to bottom). Result: almost no loss of surface detail, with the original shroud and raised lip removed.

Looking at the references such as you have, there is a shorter shroud shape at the front of the exhausts plus a short flat piece at the very front of the slot on these early MiGs. I cut a piece of photoetch brass to the length needed and left it longer at the sides, forming a rectangle. Using the small round handle of one of my files, I bent the rectangle into a "U" shape; the width of the "U" needs to be slightly bigger than the exhaust tubes. The front end of the piece will tuck into the fuselage at the front end, but the back end needs to stick out enough from the kit's fusleage so that the kit exhausts can be slid into the slot at an angle. Done right, you can fit the exhausts into position at the end of build. From the inside you wind up with this.

exhaustshroudinside_zpsa3212eae.jpg

The most important thing besides leaving enough space to fit the exhausts is to make the length of the shroud the same on both sides.

Now you want to cut out a small piece of plastic sheet into a rectangle, file a notch into it to fit snug against the new shroud, and glue it in place at the front of the slot. It won't be perfect, but a little Mr. Surfacer or something similar will do to blend the plastic piece to the shroud and to the edges of the opening; here is the end result with the other fuselage piece in it's original shape for comparison. the idea is to get this plastic piece to fit flush with the edges of the slot and blended into the shroud.

Newexhaustshrouds_zps0185583f.jpg

Finally, here is a picture of the model without paint, showing the completed work.

MigrtnosenopaintS_zps5162f7a9.jpg

You should also note that there is a recessed panel line around the exhaust opening on the model; I did a little restoration work on my build. Here is a picture of the finished model that shows how the new pieces look once painted up.

MiG-3finirtfrontS_zpsa4d71cc3.jpg

As I said, it won't take all that much longer to do this update, if you want to do it, than it takes to describe it. If anything is unclear, let me know and I will be happy to help.

Happy modeling, Jim

Edited by Jim Kiker
  • Like 2

Thank you very much Jim! Honestly I was a bit confused with this area and planned to live it as is even now, when fuselage is glued.. I was thinking this is depend from modification or something else

exh.JPG

But it's looks like another visible difference between early and late version

exh2.JPG

Don't know if I'll do this but I'll try. :)