Airfix 1/72 DHC Chipmunk

Hi all,

Firstly, thanks to Steve (Fritag) for the inspiration to dig this battered old kit out of the loft and have a go at it (not sure I was thanking him much during the build though!!).

Steves WIP Chippe build is a masterclass of how to do it, mine to be honest is a half hearted attempt. I had a go at scratch building the cockpit, left off the rear fuselage strakes and got the demarcation between the LAG on the wing and the red on the fuselage in the wrong place. And I still need to figure out how to mask the b/w on the prop!!

Anyway, here she is, like many of us I had a number of flights as a cadet in the old thing so pleased to finally have one in the cabinet, now need to save up for the Heritage 1/48 one and make a better fist of it!!

chippie1.jpg

chippie3.jpg

chippie2.jpg

chippie4.jpg

cheers

Simon

Edited by SimonR
  • Like 7

And I still need to figure out how to mask the b/w on the prop!!

Simon

Me too. Let me know when you've figured it out......

Did she get started down in Norfolk on your weekend away then?

She looks lovely - not to mentioned finished!

Cheers

Steve

Cheers for the kind words guys!

Simon

Me too. Let me know when you've figured it out......

Did she get started down in Norfolk on your weekend away then?

She looks lovely - not to mentioned finished!

Cheers

Steve

I was hoping you would do the prop first!!

I did most of the cockpit detail of sorts while we were away and then its gradually fallen together over the last few weeks, gutted about the LAG/Red on the wing root, but was too late to correct when I realised, lesson learnt, must check references before masking!!!!

Looking forward to seeing yours done!

cheers

si

Come out nice, that has. Are those kit decals or aftermarket? They are a lot more advanced than any of the kit versions I have in stock, but then I've been buying that kit on and off for about 40 years and haven't picked any up in the last few years

Come out nice, that has. Are those kit decals or aftermarket? They are a lot more advanced than any of the kit versions I have in stock, but then I've been buying that kit on and off for about 40 years and haven't picked any up in the last few years

Cheers WIP!

Yes, they are the kit decals, they are from the late 80's early 90's boxing (below), weren't bad actually.

chippie-box.jpg

cheers

Si

Nice Chippy Simon especially as she wears 6 AEF markings, the unit I did my first air experience flights with back in 1976.

Kind regards

Mark

• Like 1

Cheers again for the mind words guys!!

Nice Chippy Simon especially as she wears 6 AEF markings, the unit I did my first air experience flights with back in 1976.

Kind regards

Mark

Cheers Mark!

I did my first flight at Exeter in 1980 as a 13 year old - WP833 according to my ATC 'Record of Service' :D

there's lovely boyo!

She looks blooming nice

to anyone NOT Fritag-ed to bits there's no reason we'd even notice a red-grey interface irregularity ;)

Pats on the back from us all I say

(I think most of my Chipmunk AEF flights were with 8AEF at Shawbury, the first in '303, 18th/3rd/1963.

25 glorious minutes of "sultry bonds" slipping. Happy days.)

Thanks for sharing her with us

• Like 1