What have you flown on?

Flown,

Piper PA-38 Tomahawk

Cessna 150 

Thruster T600 Sprint microlight, (best fun of the lot)

Slingsby T-21

Kirkby Cadet III

Hang gliders, rogallo and sleeping bags !

Flown in,

1942 WACO

MD Explorer

Whirlwind HAR 10

Gazelle HC1

Sea Devon

Simulators, (courtesy of the Air Training Corps),

Victor, Marham

Lightning F3 Wattisham

Harrier GR1 Wittering

Missed out on a trip in a T bird Lightning in 1974 due to being under age !

Interesting bus rides,

Invicta Vanguard, (awful ride into Bruggen)

Court lines BAC 111 500's (all three)

Court lines Tristar, pink one.

Europe (ex Pan Am) 747 200

American Airlines DC-10-30

Plus of course the usual array of Airbuses, Boings, etc,etc....

Melchie

Edited by general melchett

737 (no idea what series!)

A319

A320

A321

757-200

757-300

747-400

A340-600

Dash 8 Q400

BAE 146

Vigilant

Tudor

Puma HC-1

Lynx AH-7

Nimrod MR-2

Will also be having a trip to California in October on board a 777-200ER and 767.

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

Several Airbus, Boeing ,MD types and other modern stuff, but also:

Bac 1-11 Laker & Dan Air

Caravelle Sterling

Ju52/3gm Ju-Air HB-HOS

C-47 G-AMPZ

Dc-4 South African Historical Flight ZS-AUB

C-54E Berlin Airlift Historical Foundation N500EJ

C-123K Air Heritage 54-664 N22968

IL 18 D-AOAO (same flight as Radleigh) FAIRFORD 91

The priorities:

Beaver floatplane (joyflights)

C172 (joyflight)

Robin R2160 (joyflights)

Marchetti SF260 (joyflights)

RAAF DHC Caribou (work experience joyflight)

RAAF P-3 Orion (surveillance mission)

Coastwatch Dash-8 (surveillance mission)

RAAF C-130J Hercules (Solomon Is to Townsville)

RAN S-70B Seahawk (Persian Gulf operational flight)

RAN Sea King (Solomon Is)

The airliners (from memory):

A320

A321

A330

A340

B737

B747

B757

B767

B777

Avro RJ85

Metroliner (Broome to Darwin dry season - spectacular!)

Can't think of anymore at this time, I think that just about covers it.

Edited by kpc7676

All this has got me thinking because for the last few years I've been collecting decals for quite a lot of the planes I've flown on. Those with an asterisk are ones I have the decals for.

A310 KTHY

A319 easyJet*, Germanwings*

A320 Air Malta*, Aer Lingus*, Azzurra Air, Flying Colours*, Airtours*, bmi*, Monarch, Air 2000*,

MyTravel*, MyTravel lite*

A321 Airtours, MyTravel, First Choice*, Monarch*

A330 Monarch

A380 Air France*

707-138B Laker*

707-436 British Airtours*

720B Monarch*

727-100 TAP*, Dan-Air*

737-200 Air Malta*, Britannia*

737-300 easyJet*, Go*, Jet2*, bmi baby*

737-400 British Midland*

737-500 bmi baby

737-700 easyJet*

737-800 Ryanair*, Excel*

757-200 Canada 3000*, Airtours*, Britannia, Flying Colours, Air 2000*, First Choice

767-300 Airtours, Britannia

1-11 400 British Airways*

1-11 500 Court Line*, Dan-Air*

146-300 Eurowings

F100 British Midland

DC-9-32 Aviaco*

Comet 4c Dan-Air*

Viscount 800 Alidair*, British Airways*

Herald BIA*

HS748 Dan-Air*

C-47 Air Atlantique*

Trislander Aurigny

Twin Pioneer Air Atlantique*

C-130K RAF

Sikorsky S-61N LHR LGW Airlink

King Air E90 & F90

Rockwell 690B

Prentice

Piper Apache, Warrior, Lance, Tomahawk

Cessna 152 & 172

Grumman AA5

AS350 Squirrel

Thunder Hot Air Balloon

Just realised how many I've got to do -good job I won't be doing all 9 Monarch A321's I've flown on!

Dave

B737-800 Malaysian

B747-400 Malaysian

B777-200LR Emirates

B777-200ER Emirates

B777-300 Emirates

B777-300ER Emirates

A330-300 Malaysian

A380-800 Malaysian, Emirates

Various LAC's, Don't know names

All the usual that's already been mentioned, but favourites that stick in the mind are BAC 1-11's (especially in reverse!!) and 757's. The best take off I ever had was in a BM F70 on a positioning flight out of EMA completely empty apart from two up front, three crew and me. PF was ex-Navy if I remember, and he must have been trying to impress one of the hosties or something, but the acceleration seemed amazing. However the climb out topped it. It was rocket-like! Straight up!

All of the above posts are all well and good, but how many of you have pushed them back off stand. That's the real skill! No computerised push-backs you know... (Smiley face thing)

Worked on in training RAF Halton
Piston Provost
Jet Provost
Twin Pioneer
Gnat
Vulcan
Lightning
Hunter
Sea Vixen
Sea Hawk
Whirlwind
Wessex
Canberra
Worked on after training
Britannia RAF, Monarch
Belfast RAF
VC10 C.Mk 1 (Inc. G-AXLR/XR809), K2,K3 and K4 RAF
VC10 Standard and Super BA, Gulf Air, Sultan of Oman
BAe 146 RAF and Dan Air, Lufthansa, TNT, Euro Wings
Avro York RAF
Andover Queens Flight, 115 sqn RAF
Boeing
720 Monarch
707-320 Tradewinds, Dan Air, Pelican Cargo, HeavyLift, Scimitar, ZAS Air Cargo, Saudi Prince Private
KC-135 USAF
727 100,200 Dan Air, Air Holland, Hapag LLoyd, Saudi prince private
737 200,300,400,500,700,800 Dan Air, Hapag Lloyd, Air Europe, Lufthansa, Condor, SAS, KLM, Air France, Sabena, Deutsche BA, Air Berlin, LOT, TUI,Malev
747 BCAL, Virgin Atlantic, United, TWA
757-300 Condor
767 Condor
Airbus
A300 Air India, Indian Airlines, Continental, Pan Am, ING, Lufthansa, Condor, QANTAS, Air Jamaica, 2 Turkish Freighters
A310 BCAL,Aeroflot, Pan-Am
A318 Daimler Benz
A319 Lufthansa
A320 Lufthansa, Condor
A321 Lufthansa, Condor
Douglas/MDC
DC-9 British Midland
DC-10 BCAL, Cal Air
Lockheed
Tristar BA, RAF,
Hercules RAF, R.Nor.AF, Oman Air Force
Electra L-188. Channel Express, Air Atlantic
BAC 1-11 Dan Air, Air Cwmry, BCAL,Oman Air Force
Comet 4, 4b, 4c, C4 Dan Air
CL44 Tradewinds
Conroy (CL44 Guppy) SkyMonster Tradewinds
Odds
ATR 42,72 Eurowings

Challenger Lufthansa
Optica production
Seaking RAF, RN, R,Nor.AF,
Lynx RN, Brazil
EH101
Skyvan,Brit Norman Defender Oman Air Force
Chinook
Puma

FLOWN ON
Douglas DC-7c BOAC
Argonaut BOAC
Britannia BOAC
707 436&336 BOAC
747-136&236 BOAC, BA
Viscount BA
HS748 Dan Air
1-11 BCAL
737 Dan Air, Easy Jet, BA, Lufthansa
757 BA, JMC
767 BA
Hercules RAF, Oman Air Force
Tristar Gulf Air, BA
Chinook RAF
Belfast RAF
VC10 C.MK1 all 13 on air test and route . K3
Standard BOAC, Super BOAC
MD80 Crossair
A321 flying colours (cant remember for sure, package outfit)
A340 Virgin

Aircraft been on.
All 54 VC10s BOAC, BA, BUA, MEA, Ghana A/W, RAe Bedford, East African, Gulf,Nigeria
5 Concordes BA and BAC
4 B-52D
3 B-52H
B-17G
DC-4,6, TMA Lebanon
Chilean AF 707
Argentine AF 707
Air India 707
Japan A/L DC-8
Pan Am DC-8
BOAC Stratocruiser
Sultan of Oman's DC8-73CF and Gulfstream 2, could have been a 3,not sure.
Beverley RAF
Iranian AF 707-3J9C
Argosy RAF
Nimrod RAF
Phantom RAF & USAF
Boscombe Down's Comrod
BBMF Lanc.

I had control of an RAF chipmunk, for about 5 minutes (!)on each of the 3 air experience flights, not a pilot BTW!

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

Blimey there are some serious flyers here!

I've just remembered one other notable flight and that was when the Merseyside Aviation Society organised the last departure/arrival at the old 1930's Speke Airport terminal in a BMA F-27.

Before landing the pilot did a zero feet beat up of the main runway saying that it was the first time he'd done that since leaving the RAF.

That was fun....

Trevor

The best take off I ever had was in a BM F70 on a positioning flight out of EMA completely empty apart from two up front, three crew and me.

A friend of mine flies 757s and 767s for American. He was flying a 757-200 out of Quito Ecuador (7874 MSL) fully loaded for MIA when he ingested a large bird in the #2 engine. It puked and stopped producing thrust. He said had it not been for the slight yaw and the flashy red lights on the panel, you'd have never been able to tell anything was wrong :) Speaking of rockets...

A friend of mine flies 757s and 767s for American. He was flying a 757-200 out of Quito Ecuador (7874 MSL) fully loaded for MIA when he ingested a large bird in the #2 engine. It puked and stopped producing thrust. He said had it not been for the slight yaw and the flashy red lights on the panel, you'd have never been able to tell anything was wrong :) Speaking of rockets...

That's what a gliding mate of mine says as well. He flies some of the old BA fleet which are operated by DHL. He referred to it as a hooligan's aeroplane especially with the RR engines.

Civil stuff:

Cessna 172 (two or three times)

Boeing 737 (various types and carriers)

Boeing 767 (British Airways)

Airbus A321 (Czech Airlines)

Antonov An-2

Zlin Z-242 (Simulator, but a lot of fun)

Gliders:

Schweizer SGS 2-33

Military: (All Canadian military)

CC-130 Hercules

CC-138 Twin Otter

CH-135 Twin Huey

CH-136 Kiowa

CH-147 Chinook

Graham

Would that be a ATL Carvair (Convair Car Transporter)

That's what a gliding mate of mine says as well. He flies some of the old BA fleet which are operated by DHL. He referred to it as a hooligan's aeroplane especially with the RR engines.

I remember the BA MAN - LHR 757 Shuttle being pretty nippy too. One time leaving LHR we entered the runway at what felt half way down. Glancing to my right I caught sight of the evening departure to JFK by Concorde lining up at the same time in the distance up the runway. We shot off sharpish and I'm pretty sure we were airborne well before the end of the runway. Is this/ was this common? I kinda wished I was on that flight to JFK rather than sunny MAN.

I remember the BA MAN - LHR 757 Shuttle being pretty nippy too. One time leaving LHR we entered the runway at what felt half way down. Glancing to my right I caught sight of the evening departure to JFK by Concorde lining up at the same time in the distance up the runway. We shot off sharpish and I'm pretty sure we were airborne well before the end of the runway. Is this/ was this common? I kinda wished I was on that flight to JFK rather than sunny MAN.

I still remember my first 757 flight - mid morning BA GLA-LHR shuttle with about 70 pax on board and a crew obviously out to have a bit of fun. That run had previously been the domain of Trident 3Bs where you crossed your fingers and hoped you'd be flying by the end of the runway. Let's just say the 757 was spectacularly different. We seemed to rotate in seconds (I still kick myself for not timing the run) and, of course, without any noise abatement procedures we went up like a skyrocket the whole way to cruising altitude. It really was wonderful.

Convair cat transporter(?)

I generally find a conventional wicker cat basket works quite well. A whole aeroplane seems a tad extravagant. :winkgrin:

In 81 all RAF Transport aircraft (not sure about fast jets etc.) had to fly at 500 feet until over the coast. It only lasted about a month or so but what a flight! Full speed and at 500 feet over the coast (near Clacton,essex) and the jockey pulled the stick back . On the the way back, Decimomanu via Gutersloh and Wildenwrath the decent to 500 started just before the Dutch coast and all the way back to Brize at full chat . The speed was unbelievable being so low. We were outbound at 6am Can't imagine what the people in bed must have thought as a Vc10 on power went over!

My first flight was on a BEA Vanguard in 1900 and frozen to death (62, and it WAS cold!). Also been on a Britannia, 737-200, 747, Cessna 152, PA28 and BAC 1-11.

Here's my list, at least the ones I can recall at the moment

A320 Etihad

A321 Egypt Air

A330-200 Jetstar

A340-500 Etihad

A340-600 Etihad

DC-9 TAA and Ansett

DC-10 United and Continental

BAe 146 QANTAS Link

B707-338C RAAF

B727-200 TAA and Ansett

B737-300/400/700 Australian Airlines, QANTAS, Virgin

B747-200 Air NZ

B747-400 United

B767-300 QANTAS

Fokker F-50 Ansett

HS-748 RAAF

BAC-111 RAAF

Dassault Falcon 900 RAAF

Dassault Falcon 20 RAAF

C-130E RAAF

C-130H RAAF

DHC-4 Caribou RAAF

Bombardier CL604

Cessna 150

GAF N24 Nomad

NZ Aerospace CT-4A RAAF

Piiatus PC-9A RAAF

Dassault Mirage IIID RAAF

Sikorsky S-70-A9 Blackhawk Australian Army

Bell Jetranger

Hi All,

I've been in a few aircraft although not as many types as some of you, I am impressed by the fact that many of you seem to recall not only the specific type of Boeing or Airbus they've been in but they can also rattle off the airline for each type. I can remember the airlines I've flown in, but I have no idea of the specific types or brands matched with the airline of the modern airliners I've been in but I know it has been a variety of Boeing and Airbus types, that said I know I haven't been in that giant Airbus A380 though I've no doubt I will at some point.

I have been in smaller types though including a Bae 146 of some version, I can't recall the airline although it may have been Qantas (it will be funny if I'm told Qantas didn't use them). I have flown in the Cessna 206 as well, although I've never landed in the type, "check canopy, check end cells are open etc".

As to other slightly more esoteric types (I know specifically what they were) they are as follows.

1. Bell 206B Kiowa, only once (Australian Army), was fun.

2. Bell UH-1H Iroquois, a few times (Australian Army), was fun.

3. Sikorsky S-70A Blackhawk, lost count of how many it was quite a bit I have even been chalk commander a number of times, tanks on/off and both day and night etc the bad bit is the walking after you get out (Australian Army), was tremendously awesome when flown by US Army exchange pilot, otherwise just fun when Australian chaps have been the pilot.

4. Westland Sea King, a few times (Royal Australian Navy), was fun.

5. Lockheed C-130E Hercules, a few times (Royal Australian Air Force), like a bus but very noisy although being in the cockpit was always fun.

6. Lockheed C-130H Hercules, a few times (Royal Australian Air Force), Tac flying is always fun and I mean that I did enjoy it, except for those who need sick bags which always takes some of the fun out of it. By the way it can be funny watching someone spew into a Millbank filter instead of using the sick bag and it leaks on someone you're not fond of.

7. GAF Nomad, a few times (some civil operator) was okay.

8. Lockheed Hudson Mk.IV only once (Temora Aviation Museum), The view from the turret is pretty cool.

9. AMS-Flight DG-500 Elan Orion a few times (no motor). The more loops, the more fun.

Wish-list!

Only one on my wish-list, the Bristol Beaufort Mk.VIII.

Cheers,

Daniel.