B747-8 - I'm confused

So I have the RoG kit of this plane and was looking for alternative decals to the Lufthansa scheme in the box - but the only alternatives at Hannants are for a cargo plane without windows.

So is it only flying for BA as a cargo plane?

you could, for example, use a 747-400 decal sheet of Korean Air (just don't use the window decals as the -8i has 777-style windows, not the "tablet-windows"

alternatively, you can use Transaero 747-400 decals sheet (as above ,..... )

or Arik Air and even Air China...

but in terms of decal-use, Korean Air and Transaero would be the easier choices.....

hope this helps,

ATPer

747-8I (passenger - long hump) operators and orders:

Lufthansa

Arik Air

Air China

Korean Air

747-8F (all cargo - short hump) operators and orders:

Cargolux

NCA

Atlas Air

Volga-Dnepr

Korean Air Cargo

Cathay Pacific Cargo

Saudi Arabian Cargo

Global Supply Systems (operated in British Airways World Cargo colors)

So far Korean Air is the only airline to order both the 8F and 8I variants.

Thanks for the list Jennings

Any idea on LX-LCI the latest for Cargolux that has flown out for storage?

Just wondering if it's temp of if there is likely to be with another operator shortly?

Are some Atlas Air flying in different liveries...I seem to remember a couple mentioned??

you can add Etihad to the Atlas Lease, as well as Panalpina

also SilkWay Airlines Cargo has ordered 4 B747-8Fs the first to be delivered end of year.

its LX-VCI, not LCI (ps: they changed from LC-*CV to LX-VC* to not interfere with the current fleet and go ahead with the alphabet VCA, VCB....)

it will be delivered later this year, most probably together with the next one. it will definitely NOT BE sold to another airline. that a/c type just suits very well the operations. its just the problem that they have some -400 left (actually the fleet is now at half/half, if you don't count the BOE-lease 744BCFs). end of June their youngest -400 (LX-YCV will leave the fleet as well as the oldest one, still a GE-400F) so, there is the space again,..... ;-) -> YCV will take over Cargolux Italia operations, named sth with "Maria". they are deciding wether it gets the same c/s as KCV actually has or the 748F stye livery with a green tail.....

Thanks for the replies...as a matter of interest is there a UK source for Draw Decals? they have Pan-Am decals for the 747-8 and the Dreamliner, I can see a plan coming together...

Thanks for the replies...as a matter of interest is there a UK source for Draw Decals? they have Pan-Am decals for the 747-8 and the Dreamliner, I can see a plan coming together...

you can get draw decals from America.

They send them by post across the pond z

However you build it, pax or cargo , any of those schemes, it's a handsome aircraft compared to the A380 or any other "new" airliner of the last few years.

I'm sure there will be those who disagree.

Looking forward to watching the project progress.

However you build it, pax or cargo , any of those schemes, it's a handsome aircraft compared to the A380 or any other "new" airliner of the last few years.

I'm sure there will be those who disagree.

Looking forward to watching the project progress.

That is because it's not 'new' like the 380 etc. The basic design and therefore shape goes back nearly 50 years. to the time when things were done very differently.

That is because it's not 'new' like the 380 etc. The basic design and therefore shape goes back nearly 50 years. to the time when things were done very differently.

Very much so , and in an age of software designed military and civilian aircraft, I personally don't find too many of the shapes attractive.

Hunters and Comets over F-35s and anything Airbus.

This is the modern thing about designed around figures and a resulting shape rather than designed around a designers dream aerodynamic shape and then designed to work

This make the comparison impossible

If you compared two aircraft modern and classic doing, for example CI-to UK or intercity work

Dash Eight 400 and Viscount

As a machine the Dash Eight is so far ahead as to give profit to an airline where as a competitor running the Viscount would lose his shirt on it..so yep as a machine the modern is the better

However as an aesthetic object...and art form if you like, give me a Viscount anytime. If money was no object I'd rather run an old machine at great expense.

Steam locomotives are hardly cheap, or efficient compared to the modern loco. The steam is also dirty and smelly.......but hey, they live they are exciting they are much loved.

You can compare economics ...the efficiency model if you like, of the A.380 and 747I, but not the looks.

They are generations apart.

Order a one-off set of decals from America...and forget the carbon footprint, lol?

It would make sense for them to print off 200 sets and send them over at once!

(Part of my job is energy and environmental management, you see) :whistle:

The basic design and therefore shape goes back nearly 50 years. to the time when things were done very differently.

When the laws of physics and aerodynamics were vastly different... uh... from.... uh... today. Er... um... or maybe not.

Could just be that Boeing knows how to build a handsome yet supremely functional and efficient airplane (B-17, B-29, B-47, B-52, B-377, KC-135, 707, 727, 737, 747, 757, 767, 777, 787 - did I leave any out?). The other guys just build functional and efficient. :)