Roden 1/144 C-47 (x2)

Here's Roden's new 1/144 C-47.

I started building one to complete a theme and then thought it would be rude not to do another at the same time. Really liked the kit and feels that it captures the C-47 lines a bit better than the Minicraft version.

Only additions were the home-made decals and the "towel-rail" antenna on the Air Force version.

18.jpg

17.jpg

Rhodesian Air Force "7307"

This plane ground looped at Rushinga in February 1975 following a brake failure on landing. The landing gear collapsed as a result and the port propeller sheared off and sliced into the fuselage, missing the crew by inches.

19.jpg

21.jpg

Air Rhodesia "VP-YNH"

Built in 1944 for the USAF, this C-47 somehow ended up flying in the colours of Hunting Clan before being acquired by Central African Airways. CAA eventually became Air Rhodesia (with the break up of the Federation) and the aircraft continued to fly in Zimbabwe until 1983 when it was sold to a Zambian operator. In 1987, the aircraft was eventually written off in an accident while flying for Sunbird Aviation in Kenya.

22.jpg

24.jpg

The whole reason for building the C-47 was to complete my collection of Air Rhodesia aircraft in 1/144. Here it is with the Boeing 720 "Mashonaland"

25.jpg

Well, that's it !

Time to fire up the old engines for another flight :

23.jpg

20.jpg

Thanks for looking.

mike

Edited by mitchem
  • Like 10

Great builds, love the last pic!

Very nice work

Will have to get myself one of these kits

Very nice finishing on both :goodjob:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Don't think I was a member when these were posted, so a belated "Wow" from me here. Inspirational - and I'm not kidding.

Haven't tried the Roden Dakota yet - although you and Jessica both say it is nicer than the Minicraft.

Great pics Radleigh - looks as though they were from Jan Smuts in Johannesburg?

Cheers,

Mike