Northrop YC-125B 'Raider'

Looks like the fruits of a banana that had a wild night out with a Norduyn Norseman! Well built thoufg, i like these badketcase lumps of plastic !

Well and bravely done - not just the general heroism of taking on a Combat vac-form and turning it into such an impressive model, but also the hours and hours you had to spend looking at an aeroplane of, let's say, refreshingly unconventional looks.

That's going to be a real show-stopper any time you put it on a display table.

Great job Rob! Always nice to see such stuff that is well off the beaten path! Kudos to you for being adventurous! LOL!

Seems I recall that at one time Dayton had ownership of another one, but somehow it ended up getting destroyed before it got to Dayton and then they had to set off in search of another one. I figured at the time that that would probably be the end of that story (given their rarity) and the next time I was visiting there, they had the current one sitting there... and I've never heard where they found the current one at. Seems I recall that all of the ones in existence had been down South in Mexico, so there must've been some success in restoring the existing ones and putting them to work many years ago.

At least one of them (either the one at Dayton, or Pima) had been in a decidedly civilian scheme of like a light gray with red sections.

Gotta love these ugly looking step-children types! Reminds me of three Ju-87's that had a mid-air, but didn't crash! :lol:

• 1 year later...

I remember going to Dayton as an aviation enthusiast, seeing the Raider and having no idea what it was! I love your model; you've done a fantastic job on what sounds like a challenging kit. Do you have any wip shots you can put up? I'd be interested in seeing them.

Re the way it looks, I'm not surprised it handled nastily. If Northrop had to put that much dihedral on the outer wings of a high wing aeroplane, something was obviously badly wrong!

regards,

Martin

Wow, that is one car crash of a design! Looks like an Antonov AN-2 got overly familiar with a Junkers Ju-52 and a few months later this arrived! However, the model is fantastic! I have never built a Combat Models kit but I have heard of their reputation so you have truly worked some serious magic here!

DC