Supermodel Fiat CR-32

Nick Millman

Well, I picked up an example of the 'new' Italeri kit and frankly, for close on £15, I'm disappointed. The differences from the original Supermodel kit are not that impressive. There is a better stab at the interior, the pilot figure is gone, the complex strut fixing arrangement has been changed from stumps to holes, the wheels look a little less toy like but that's about it. The decal sheet is absolutely beautiful but the original heavy surface detail of simulated sacking 'fabric weave' and rod-like rib tapes is exactly the same.

Worth twice the price of the old kit? I don't think so.

Nick

Well, I picked up an example of the 'new' Italeri kit and frankly, for close on £15, I'm disappointed. The differences from the original Supermodel kit are not that impressive. There is a better stab at the interior, the pilot figure is gone, the complex strut fixing arrangement has been changed from stumps to holes, the wheels look a little less toy like but that's about it. The decal sheet is absolutely beautiful but the original heavy surface detail of simulated sacking 'fabric weave' and rod-like rib tapes is exactly the same.

Worth twice the price of the old kit? I don't think so.

Nick

Nick,

I'm not surprised you're disappointed ! Italeri is unfortunately taking a lot of shortcuts with these "updates". It would not be too much of a problem if the kits were rightly priced, but £15 for this ? No way ! The previous Re.2000 suffered IMHO from being similarly overpriced as it was litle more than a recessed panel lines copy of the supermodel kit itself.

For some reason they seem to think that as these subjects appeal the more "serious" modeller, they can charge more.

Thanks for the information Nick - I was tempted to buy one but was wary of the surface detail (which looked a bit too heavy from the photos available). From what you say waiting for the AZ models version is probably the better option.

Christopher