Supermodel Fiat CR-32

Nick Millman

I see that this venerable kit is in circulation again - the only 1/72 game in town? - and the moulds seem to have held up pretty well. Does anyone have any good tips for circumventing/mitigating the rather unfriendly way the struts are designed to assemble?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Nick

It's back due to the two forthcoming CR32s. One is by Italeri and with already announced price roughly 400 per cent of (sold also by Italeri) ancient Supermodel kit it should be either brand new tool or at least rescribed old one (as they have done with SM.81 Pipistrello) plus new painting schemes, decals and - perhaps - a booklet in the much bigger box. We'll see it on the market in July.

Another one is "in pipe" of the Czech company famous for their last offerings. It will also appear on the market this year.

So "it's now or never" for the old Supermodel kit that is being currently sold in my country for sth between 3 and 4 Łst.

I see that this venerable kit is in circulation again - the only 1/72 game in town? - and the moulds seem to have held up pretty well. Does anyone have any good tips for circumventing/mitigating the rather unfriendly way the struts are designed to assemble?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Nick

I built one of these years ago - the kit comes up well, but as for the strut assembly you will probably join the rest of the people who uttered profanities trying to get the struts and upper wing on without the use of an extra arm.

IIRC, the Supermodel Cr.32 has its fabric surfaces covered by an absurd sackweave pattern. Again IIRC, I gave up on it after having rubbed down the top wing with questionable success (this was a few decades before Mr. Surfacer and stuff…).

I'd save the elbow grease and wait for the more up-to-date kits mentioned to make their appearance.

Kind regards,

Joachim

I built mine straight from the box, quite a few years ago. I don't remember the build very clearly but I do recall a conversation with a fellow modeller in which I mentioned the problems I'd had with the weird design of the struts, and that he told me he'd ditched them and used brass strut material. I can't remember whether he said he'd cut the stubs off the wings first but I'ld guess he did. John Adams still sells plastic strut: that would be another option.

I didn't have this, but knew someone who did. I don't recall him complaining about difficulty with the struts, but when assembled the upper wing did sit too close to the top of the fuselage, and this comment was also seen in at least one review (I don't recall us having much choice in reviews in those days...) So maybe using CR42 struts wasn't too bad an idea. I'd pray for a new tooling rather than approach this one.

Thanks for that heads up Panoz, I'm pleased to see that this includesdecals for a 411 squadriglia plane from the East African campaign, something I've been looking out for so I'm pleased about that. :)

On the subject of struts, I stumbled across this on another thread. I'm not sure how applicable to the CR32 this would be seeing as I don't have one yet but it seems this could simplify strut placement considerably.

Steve

Edited by stevehnz

That looks quite nice! So have they tarted up the mould, or is it basically the old Supermodel mould (not that that was bad)? I'd like to do an East African example, but that paint scheme, whilst looking striking, also looks like b****y h*** to paint!

Regards,

Jason

I'd like to do an East African example, but that paint scheme, whilst looking striking, also looks like b****y h*** to paint!

Regards,

Jason

& somewhere theres an Italian scheme that isn't, this I'd like to see. :lol: I do know what you measn though, I've a stalled Airfix G.50 build with similar scheme, lots of ideas as to how to proceed but lacking the courage to sit down & try them. :(

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

And don't forget that apart from the 3-tone banded camouflage (which was standard in pattern), the Cr.32 also wore a silver livery (alluminiata) at the beginning of its career.

All very nice choices, and I plan on doing a Hungarian CR.32 eventually as part of my Eastern Front series. Unfortunately, I'd still like to do an East African example; any one of those that doesn't have that interesting but infernal mottle scheme?

Regards,

Jason

I suspect that by the time the war started all the Cr.32 in Italian East Africa were sporting the "infernal camouflage".

You're probably correct. Oh well, one of these days I'll just have to put on my asbestos gloves and give that camouflage a try.

Regards,

Jason

I can give you a couple of tips if you end up modelling a Cr.32 of the 410ª Squadriglia: the sand colour was supposedly lighter than the standard hue (Giallo Mimetico 3) and somewhat "pinkier", to blend better with the colours of the area. Those aircraft also flew and fought without the "Aldis-type" telescopic sights (which were lost in transit) and only had the iron ring-type sights.

Hope it helps.

I can give you a couple of tips if you end up modelling a Cr.32 of the 410ª Squadriglia: the sand colour was supposedly lighter than the standard hue (Giallo Mimetico 3) and somewhat "pinkier", to blend better with the colours of the area. Those aircraft also flew and fought without the "Aldis-type" telescopic sights (which were lost in transit) and only had the iron ring-type sights.

Hope it helps.

Yes, that does, Super Aero - thank you! I really do plan on doing an East African CR.32, someday. One of the things I like about that campaign is that it featured a variety of biplanes - Vincents, Furies, Hardies, and of course the CR.32, amongst others.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

Please note that the info above comes from Italian books and forums - the info on the the ring and bead sights comes from "La Romantica Squadriglia" writeen by the 410ª Squadriglia commander, Capitano Corrado Ricci, while the different (pinkish) tone of the Giallo Mimetico was also mentioned by Ricci in an Italian IPMS bulletin in 1973. It appears that several Cr.32 did not sport any national insignias on the upper wing - in any case refer to photos of the example you intend to model (if available): Italian camouflage in WW2 remains a bit of a minefield, still.

• Like 1

The Fiat CR 32 is probably the ulitmate art deco aircraft. It really should be painted in silver though the Spanish variant with copper bands on the radiators is attractive. Putting camouflage on that aircraft is a comment on fascist aesthetics.

The Fiat CR 32 is probably the ulitmate art deco aircraft. It really should be painted in silver though the Spanish variant with copper bands on the radiators is attractive. Putting camouflage on that aircraft is a comment on fascist aesthetics.

I agree - the Italians have always had a sense of style, even with their warplanes (just look at the sweeping curves on the tailplanes of the SM.79, although I realise that started out as a civilian aeroplane). For that matter, even the Lince, although a wretched aeroplane, was nonetheless an attractive one. I'll eventually paint a silver CR.32 as used in the Spanish Civil War in the Balearics, but as of now, I'm more interested in WWII variants, such as those used in East Africa or the Hungarian examples used on the Eastern Front.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang