1/48 Tamiya Spitfire Vb Trop

Ta re Ultracast.

Does anybody know where I might be able to pick Ultracast bits up in UK.

Moving right along, the cockpit is done. Only used a few bits from the Eduard set, not looking to super-detail this cockpit, obviously, but just spruce it up here and there.

Fuselage and wing halves are also glued together, so once I clean up those seams I'll install the cockpit tub and attach the wings :)

9177691113_2a5b97607a_b.jpg

9179907008_c341daa1ec_b.jpg

9177691299_81050cba9c_o.jpg

9177691249_5cee332206_o.jpg

• Like 2

Been a few days since I've posted an update, hasn't really been much to show.

So here's a mockup for you guys :)

The wings are attached but the lower cowl, tailplanes, and Ultracast door (of course) are just stuck on for pics.

I used the clipped wing tips from the standard Vb kit as they look the part much better than the larger clipped tips provided in the Trop kit.

I drilled a hole for the camera that was installed on this bird, and made a cover for it from Tamiya tape.

Holes for the Master barrels are also drilled.

9217391722_8c36573f4e_o.jpg

9214616035_b9e9c8a785_o.jpg

Edited by brewer

Also went ahead and did up the Ultracast wheels and exhaust along the way, so these are ready to go.

Wheels will get further weathering to "sand" them up for this desert bird

9217514175_a8cfe54f11_o.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks guys!

Actually the exhaust is a very simple technique. I start out just painting them with Tamiya Flat Black. Then I give them a few applications of a product called Rustall (though I'm sure you could use any "rust" colored wash from MIG or AKI), then add a few highlights with a lead pencil. Done!

• Like 3

Sorry for the lack of updates lately, everyone. My "shake 'n bake" build has had a few hiccups - all my fault, of course.

Had a few mistakes with panel lines that had to be filled, sanded, and rescribed, which resulted in having to re-rivet most of the plane as well.

Also had a few issues with the Master cannons - including temporarily losing one inside the wing - but all is resolved and we're back on track now

First, here's a shot of the gunsight (Eduard frame + acetate) before it was covered up by the windscreen:

9280573370_a01e2832e8_o.jpg

And here's a mockup of the airframe ready for masking and primer. Cockpit door and exhaust just stuck on for fun :)

9277787973_ceca0b54a8_o.jpg

Edited by brewer
  • Like 5

Thanks guys! So I finally have some color on her :)

Step 1: Azure Blue. Pre-shaded with Tamiya Flat Earth and post-faded with lightened base color. MrColor lacquer used for the Azure Blue

9294578502_8139ce48ce_o.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Brewer,

truly nice paint job.

It`s a pleasure to view your pictures,and I am a great friend of artistic scope to strengthen the visual impression of a model.

Weathering is also amazing and like you, I like to improve the surface with tools like "Rosie the Riveter".

I`ll stay tuned! This will be a pretty nice model!

Greetz

Dirk