DH Devon 1/48th

I was a bit dubious about buying this one, but if I wanted a Devon in 1/48th it was the only choice. I needn't have worried too much, the castings cleaned up well though there were some air bubbles just below the sure that needed attention.NZ18133_zps6848bb18.jpg

Though the nose section is hollow and filled to the brim with lead shot she is a determined tail sitter so a piece of clear rod is providing the balance.

The clear dome over the canopy is provided as a two part vac form and to be fair I don't know how else they could have done it. Beyond my limited skills to make anything of it, I fettled a spare Beaufighter camera dome until it fitted.Not 100% prototypical but close enough for me.

NZ18131_zps5590d949.jpg

• Like 2

Wow ....this really brings back memories....the scheme reminds me of pictures from my dads collection during his stint at Wigram during his basic and QFI flying training days.....

nice job on a rare subject in todays modelling scene......wish I could get a dove in 1/48....will be all over that ....magna hope you are lisitning....

rgds

mr b

Wow ....this really brings back memories....the scheme reminds me of pictures from my dads collection during his stint at Wigram during his basic and QFI flying training days.....

nice job on a rare subject in todays modelling scene......wish I could get a dove in 1/48....will be all over that ....magna hope you are lisitning....

rgds

mr b

How many do you require?. Will one for each hand suffice.or are you looking for multiples? :winkgrin: cheers chris

How many do you require?. Will one for each hand suffice.or are you looking for multiples? :winkgrin: cheers chris

I am looking for at least 2 one for a RMAF and one RNZAF ......really will make my day .......pls pm me if you can help....:)...apologies mr silverfox for hijacking yr thread

Rgds

mr b

Congratulations on a lovely model which is the first Magna Devon that I`ve seen built up so far. I`ll be building mine in Fleet Air Arm markings!

Cheers

Tony O

I wondered about the photo proportions as well - Looks a bit too short and too deep and the wheels look a bit oval . Lovely build and an unusual colour scheme too.

I wondered about the photo proportions as well - Looks a bit too short and too deep and the wheels look a bit oval . Lovely build and an unusual colour scheme too.

If you click on the photo in the discussion thread, a correctly-proportioned image should open.

Hey! Really nice work there :) I fully appreciate the effort that must have gone into this as i have a Magna 1/72 Percival Prince awaiting its turn on the bench. In truth i've been putting it off as i can see it's going to be more work than the norm.

Good taste too, the Devon is a lovely looking aircraft.

Just out of curiosity, were there any issues of resin warping in the wings? The wings on my Prince seem to have a distinct upwards curve to them....

~M~

Edited by Muppet

Muppet, no warping on the wings though I have a twist in the rear fuselage, which hot water couldn't solve.

Wolfpack looks like the flash has exaggerated the gloss and shortened the fuselage!! They were very glossy, even NZ1814 at Wanaka which has been outside for a few years was still very glossy.

don't see this a/c often, nice job.

Muppet this happens if the item is released early from the mould. immerse the wings in hot water and the problem should rectify itself. hth cheers chris

Muppet, no warping on the wings though I have a twist in the rear fuselage, which hot water couldn't solve.

Heyhey, Thanks for the tips guys :)

~M~

In terms of the gloss, (hope you dont mind Fox)

This photo is of the one at Ashburton, its been sitting outside in the weather for a looong time, its started to rot and the paint is peeling.

P1400831.JPG

(Not sure who took the photo, but credit to them)

As you can see, even heavily weathered its still glossy.

Im not sure to be honest, there was talk about restoring it, but i dont know if thats people just spouting or actual future plans. I know theyve sold the friendship in the background of the photo, they didnt have the space, resources or time to restore it so theyve sold it to someone who does.

Last time i was there i didnt see the devon, but im pretty sure its still floating around.