Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 exhausts?

scorpiomikey

So i was looking for extra bits and bobs to add to my airfix spit, and i notice theres 2 different types of exhausts. Oval and Fishtail. Whats the significance of this? Does it matter which one i use?

Thanks for the assist guys.

Mike.

And as always, try and find a picture of the Spitfire you're modelling so you know that it used that particular style of exhaust. Photos are obviously best, steer clear of profile pictures if you can.

Some examples of the Mark I continued in service until the end of the war and were updated with all sorts of whatever was available. They could be seen with fishtails, even with multiple ejectors, and with Mark V oil coolers in some cases.

=

Edited by Work In Progress

Well, that's always been the case. Consider, if you will, the pre-war aircraft which started life with 2-blade props and flat sliding canopy sections, and no armour, and the early protruding outer gun muzzles and so on. Most of those survived into the B of B, but not looking like that.

All military aircraft that survive longer than a couple of months are modified and updated in service, and more dynamically in wartime than in peacetime. I can't think of a single example that hasn't been. To take another example of a widely adopted Spitfire modification, there's the retro-fitting of aircraft built with the original fabric-covered ailerons with metal-covered ones.

R6915 at the Imperial War Museum is an examples of the Mark I with fishtail exhausts and many other mods carried out during its service ownership. Have a look at http://www.warbirdregistry.org/spitregistry/spitfire-r6915.html for a potted history.

Edited by Work In Progress

Very interesting, i normally do alot of research into an aircraft im building, but early spitfires all seem so generic. The one i liked the look of was AZ+H with the black crosses painted over the roundels (german captured)

2_1.jpg

Very interesting, i normally do alot of research into an aircraft im building, but early spitfires all seem so generic. The one i liked the look of was AZ+H with the black crosses painted over the roundels (german captured)

the late 1970's version of the Airfix Mk had AZ-H as it's marking option!

If you fancy a less generic MkI you could do one of the early PR variants, you need to some small modifications.

There was also a Turkish MkI..

137_1.jpg

cheers

T

note the colour isn't 'brick red'

Cheersy

http://www.aeroimageworks.com/spitfiresintheantipodesblog.htm

Prof-meisterrrrrrr

Some examples of the Mark I continued in service until the end of the war and were updated with all sorts of whatever was available. They could be seen with fishtails, even with multiple ejectors, and with Mark V oil coolers in some cases.

=

Here's the example from the IWM at Lambeth before it was removed this year.

DSCF1831.jpg

As a Mk.I at the end of the war, in a second line unit I'm guessing that if it fitted, it went on.

Trevor

Ill just need to pick up some sky codes and serial numbers (May have some i can use in my stash)

The kit im working with is the Airfix 1:48 Spitfire Mk.I/Mk.Ia/Mk.IIa

I think its the new one, its got the spit flying away from the camera with a pair of smoking 109's in the background.

Ill just need to pick up some sky codes and serial numbers (May have some i can use in my stash)

The kit im working with is the Airfix 1:48 Spitfire Mk.I/Mk.Ia/Mk.IIa

I think its the new one, its got the spit flying away from the camera with a pair of smoking 109's in the background.

If you are building the 1/48 Airfix Spitfire Mk.I, some judicious sanding will go a long way

see here for details

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1184142858/New+Airfix+Spitfire+Mk-1-

John Adams is the owner of Aeroclub, and noted for accuracy and his knowledge of Spitfires.

What it won't fix is the oversize spinner, but replacements can got by using ones from the 1/48 Hurricane, which has both the DeHavilland [as used on most BoB spits] and Rotol [as used on Spitfire MkII]

HTH

T