Help with resin

shood23

Hi guys I brought the top studio super detail-up set for the ferrari f1 2000 but it has alot of resin parts, having never used resin before I am unsure on a few things:

A) what kind of primer do I use, is it ok to use tamiya primers or are the to aggressive

B) what glues can you use as the one I have pretty much melts the plastic together

Any and all help is appreciated

Resin is virtually impervious to solvent based glues so superglue is essential. I use halfords grey primer on resin with no issues as long as I've given the resin a quick scrub in soapy water first.

Cheers,

Stuart

Hi ferrari_boy12

First you need to degrease the resin parts by washing in washing up liquid this gets rid of any mould release agents the Manufacturer has used when you wash the use luke warm water. Then let the parts air dry. Yes its ok to use Tamiya primer

but apply it in mist coats till you are happy with the coverage. Glues use either medium or thin super glue. Apply them with

a tool made from a darning needle. To make this push the point into a piece of wood or balsa dowel about 50mm long so

you have the head part where the thread would go sticking out about 30mm. If you have a mini drill with a cutting disc cut

the needle so you have half of the eye left. If you don't have a mini drill it can be done with a good diamond file.

If you need any more help PM me and I'll do my best to help.

Cheers

Andy

All the above is really good advice, plus you can also use 5 min. epoxy if extra strength's required or fogging might be an issue.

I've used Halfords primers and Tamiya primer with no problems. You do need to wash the model thoroughly to avoid "fish-eyes" in the paint surface.

Gunze Sangyo offer a primer which they claim is formulated specifically for resin but their stuff's not always easy to find. I've used it and it's nice but I can't say if it's superior in performance to the others. I'm assuming it's meant to bond better to the substrate but you can't tell if it works until you try to pull it off! :hmmm:

Lots of folks get put off by resin but apart from being brittle it's no harder to use than plastic. Watch out for sanding dust though. Any sanding is best done under water (it's best if you put the model under, rather than working in the bath!).

Best regards

Dave

Top advice from the guys , I`ve got this set also - hope you`ve got a magnifying glass because some of the parts are tiny as you will know , can`t see much sanding needed with this set apart from a little cleaning up after removing the parts from the tree but I would still do this in a well ventilated area , as Fastcat mentioned resin dust/particals can be dangerous ,

Cheers

Red 5