FROG box art

Dmitri

hey guys,

could someone educate me please? I would like to obtain prints by the artists who created FROG/NOVO box art. One of them was Mr.Harrison I believe.

I would appreciate any leads. I don't even know if anything was out, publisher, period etc.?

Please share if you have any information.

thanks!

Edited by Dmitri

A friend of my uncle's used to do all Frog's instruction artwork, by hand, of course in his small studio in Margate. I'm pretty sure he also did the box art too. I actually watched him doing the instructions one day and it was instrumental in my going for a Government training course in technical illustration, which I went on to do for many years.

I'll see if my Uncle can recall the name of the chap. he suffered some terrible family tragedies shortly after and I have no idea if he staid around the area or not.

Martin

Hi Dmitri, I remember an artist by the name of Jo Kotula (I think that's the correct spelling) who did some artwork for Frog, as well as Aurora etc......................Smudge

Hi Tony, do you happen to know if any publishing house released an album with artwork? I'm trying to get a collection of boxes together, but box tops were cropped down.

There are many Google references to him, but as to an album, I'm afraid I can't help. I do seem to remember a book of some of his illustrations being available......

This may be of use if you can get one, they go for silly money some times...

51XLwBkpRXL_SY445__zpsca43215f.jpg

Tony

thanks Tony! This book is a must to have for me. I'll keep an eye on evilBay. There is one for sale, but you're right - quite expensive. Plus postage from the UK, makes it prohibitive.

Cheers!

D.

I was to refer to that book. It's a good one, very complete, but you'll not get artwork of most kits. I'm not sure if some website exists (as for Airfix and Matchbox) but I may scan some of my boxes. Are you looking for something specific?

According to the book above, most earlier original artwork was destroyed or thrown away over the years, and some of the later was sent to the USSR by Novo. Probably some are owned by private collectors. I doubt that the creators keeped the originals.

Carlos

Edit: Many of the artwork pages of the book is in black and white, so if you buy the book for artwork you will be deceived. However it's a very good book on Frog history.

I was to refer to that book. It's a good one, very complete, but you'll not get artwork of most kits. I'm not sure if some website exists (as for Airfix and Matchbox) but I may scan some of my boxes. Are you looking for something specific?

According to the book above, most earlier original artwork was destroyed or thrown away over the years, and some of the later was sent to the USSR by Novo. Probably some are owned by private collectors. I doubt that the creators keeped the originals.

Carlos

thanks for the offer Carlos! I'm actually looking for the actual boxes, FROG and NOVO. But ideally I would like to have fully sized prints. The thing is those box top boxes were cropped down/resized; and I'd like to have the originals, even on my hard drive.

this one I believe to be the full size for example:

barracuda-frogbook_zps45a74687.jpg

The rules are:- the artwork always belongs to the artist, but of course, the rights to use it belong to the commissioning client. When I was an illustrator, we had to keep every single drawing we did for customers in case they wanted it back to do revamps at any time.

But life tends to get in the way of rules!

Martin

Dmitri

That book is also on Amazon UK

Edited by bzn20

The rules are:- the artwork always belongs to the artist, but of course, the rights to use it belong to the commissioning client. When I was an illustrator, we had to keep every single drawing we did for customers in case they wanted it back to do revamps at any time.

But life tends to get in the way of rules!

Martin

it would be great if some publishing house could release an album and pay royalties to artists, or whoever holds copyright presently. I'm sure it would be a hot seller. Same goes to Matchbox and Airfix.

it would be great if some publishing house could release an album and pay royalties to artists, or whoever holds copyright presently. I'm sure it would be a hot seller. Same goes to Matchbox and Airfix.

I've seen an Airfix book of box art (and ads, cars, soldiers, ships, trains etc in a "remainders" book shop about 7 years ago. I think its the one on ebay below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Book-Airfix-Celebrating-50-Years-of-the-Greatest-Plastic-Kits-in-the-World-1st-/380558751413?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item589b11b6b5

There is also this recent book also on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Vintage-Years-of-Airfix-Box-Art-by-Roy-Cross-Book-Hardback-NEW-2009-/130926465787?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item1e7bd352fb

Below is the link for a few pages of Matchbox box cover pics

http://www.matchboxkits.org/index.php?cPath=27&osCsid=pmebq3c6i9nug8mg0tn9mu9im7

Edited by bzn20

Here are scan of some of my Frog boxes. Although a few are recent buys, the vast majority spent more than 35 years gathering dust...
I'll scan more when I have time for it. If someone wants 300 dpi scans just pm me.
Carlos
EDIT: You can't imagine how I hate the new Photobucket. I'll try to fix things tomorrow, in between please click in the link bellow and see the images in Photobucket.

thank you Carlos, and all who responded!

I found myself buying NOVO and Frog kits for boxes only :-) I do 1/48 only, so will need to trade/sale the kits.

this is about the time; they are getting more difficult to find in good condition.

Thanks gents! keep the history alive in your collections.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been following this thread with some interest and although I can't help with any leads to original artwork, a chance discovery this week was certainly a trip down memeory lane for me.

There cannot be many hobby shops on the planet that have currently on their shelves dozens of new old stock Frog kits. These are not second hand, but discovered recently in a cellar store room where they have lain undisturbed for nearly 40 years. Mint, boxed, unopened and most still in their original shrink wrapping.

Some are are even in the window - at Spot on Models and Hobbies in Fleet Street, Swindon.

The subjects are : Barracuda, Meteor IV, Typhoon, Avenger, Gannet, Shark, Hunter FGA.9, La-7, Jaguar, Mirage, He 162, Lancaster, Canberra, Lynx, Sea Vixen and there is also a small stack of Hotspur gliders in Novo boxes.

It is such a surreal experience to see a Frog display alongside current Airfix and Revell kits.

And before anyone asks, there are no Spitfires reported buried in boxes................

The rules are:- the artwork always belongs to the artist

I'm not sure that's always the rule. If the artist is an employee of the manufacturer, the employer owns what he produces; and even where it's a freelance arrangement, it's not unknown for the artist to have to assign ownership (not just reproduction rights) to the manufacturer. Just ask anyone who's worked in comics!

• Like 1

I'm not sure that's always the rule. If the artist is an employee of the manufacturer, the employer owns what he produces; and even where it's a freelance arrangement, it's not unknown for the artist to have to assign ownership (not just reproduction rights) to the manufacturer. Just ask anyone who's worked in comics!

Dear Pigsty,

I think the rule by law is that the artist has rights even if he sells his artwork to any client! I was informed by lawers! I produce box art for Trumpeter-Hobby Boss and they have the EXCLUSIVE, and half the rights! The artist has the other half which means the artist can still produce prints of his work BUT after the client used the image for it's exclusiveness!! I do not know if i placed it in a understandable way!!

The rule is what ever is agreed between the two parties. When I was going to illustrate for greetings cards, the card co. wanted copyright. They wouldn't/ didn't do it any other way. I didn't want to do that and walked away. If you work for a company and illustrate, invent, design they own it all, Unless you can get them to agree otherwise.

Correct. It depends on the specific contract between the two. The general rule of thumb is that the artwork costs more if the artist surrenders his right to it. Selling the original art but retaining copyright to it is not unusual in private commissions but in commercial transactions it is more usual for the purchasing company to buy the rights, even where the artist might retain the original art.

Where transactions have not addressed those specifics legal complications can arise in future, especially concerning inheritance.

Nick