Refence colour for Gee Bee red on R1 aircraft

Space Ranger

well intresting idea but not my way of doing pin strip, it is too hit and miss to be consistant, my pin strip idea will be the best way, yes it will cost, but I am a lazy modeller in that respect, your suggested method is just too much effort for little gain to achieve good pin striping, sorry just my opinion.

Thank you all for the replies to date.

Mick

Iain both flaps work together in proportion they do not operate separate you need to see the patent drawing, the movement in total is 60° and 120°from the starting point I stated for each section not 60° and 90° my description is to how the overall movement is acheieved not the way it works, do a search of my postings and you will see the postings from Tim regarding colour references.

As to drawings I will check out the link.

Mick

OK, so the first portion droops 60 degs from the horizontal and the second portion another 30 degs, or 120 degs from the perpendicular to the deflected first portion. Sorry, but it is odd and confusing to switch reference planes like that, one from the horizontal and then the second from a false vertical.

Graham

I am a qualified mechanical enginner, not an aeronautical engneer, my description was the best way I could describe the total movement of both sections to get a total deflection of 90° flap drop of the second section when the first section is at 60 drop from the horizontal, it is not my problem that you can not except that some people namely me can not put it to the correct terms for you to understand, I made the effort to look up the patent and clearly stated what book I got the information from, something that you could have done if you had googled it, which I did.

The following information is thus

- In 1933 the R2 was re-engined with the R1's R-1340-T3D1

- Flaps added in 1933 were 2 segement split flaps on lower surface of wing only.

(Patent 2,006,391) (aka wing brakes or air brakes)

- Flaps lowered landing speed to 65mph

Now you have the information go look it up and post the diagram on the forum, something that I am not fully competant to do at present and for the reason stated above.

Iain

I did not say how it worked only how the total angles of movement are achieved, I stated this,

"Iain both flaps work together in proportion they do not operate separate you need to see the patent drawing, the movement in total is 60° and 120°from the starting point I stated for each section not 60° and 90° my description is to how the overall movement is acheieved not the way it works"

I could not have made it more clear of where to find the correct information, does it really matter how the flap total movement was written, the end result was the same, I see no point in continuing this particular point now that you have posted the patent diagram.

Edited by Mick_Gannon

Having checked the aeromodeller plans there are 8 I think "golden year aircraft" but the draftee of the drawings is not stated which would help, but it is another source of information.

There is in the USA "Bob Banka aircraft drawings" having used this service I was less than pleased to recieve copies of kit instructions in what he states as an extensive archive on aircraft, but there was some useful drawings within what I was sent.

I personnaly think that due the nature of these aircraft as being 1 off's, made in small workshop's not mass produced, that documentation was not thought of as needed, in fact when the non flying GeeBee R1 or R2 was made with the drawings supplied by the Granville family, it was said that some drawings did not exsist and many on small drawing sheets, Pete Miller contributed to that build and the later Delmar Benjamin replica R2 which was not supported by the Granville family(they feared that another pilot would die in one of their designed aircraft)The Delamr aircraft flew for a few years on the show circuits and proved to the aircraft world that it was safe to fly, if you paid attension, it was sold to Kermit Weeks and is on display with his Z1 GeeBee.

It should also be noted that Kermit Weeks is not a small man and in wanting to fly the GeeBee Z he had the cockpit made wide for him to fit, old photo's show how small the aircraft was but pictures of Kemit Weeks doing an engine run up in the Z really show how tiny the aircraft is.

My next step is to sort the artwork for the pin strips and canopy framing and get some cost together, I think that the black pin strip route I will follow on the grounds that to redo the whole artwork would be too costly just to have the black done in dark blue, all references bar 1 state black, the only reference to dark blue is on a later wing as shown in previous pick from the EAA musemum, that is my argument add to this that there would be several quotes from "respected modellers" that I got the colour wrong.

Mick