Low odour oil thinners stripping enamels!

burncpt

Hi all,

I guess my question has two parts: firstly will thinners for artists' oils always dissolve enamels also? I had coated my Airfix Typhoon in Humbrol Satin Cote and left for 24h before I started to wash over the panel lines with thinned oils. In places the oils were a little heavy so I thought running a rag gently over with a little oil thinners would help... UH OH! The Satin dissolved into gooey globs all over. You know that awful moment when you think rubbing more will make it better but of course it just makes it worse. Sigh.

Secondly, the satin was over 2 coats of future protecting the colours - if I try to take the whole satin/oil lot off will that be enough to stop the paint underneath getting damaged? What is best to use, white spirit/the oil thinners/something else?

Many thanks, I'm desperately hoping this isn't terminal, I was really pleased with the paint up until this point... :weep:

First part; yes it will.

Second; if the Future/Kleer was well cured, a mild dose of white spirit should remove the enamel varnish without damaging the 'future' too much. Test it on somewhere like the underside of a tailplane. Not too much thinners, rubbed carefully and gently, maybe use cotton buds, or cotton-wool balls rather than a cloth.

HI guys, well it was definitley a disaster averted. It's not 100% as good as it was before but I'm pretty happy. Cotton wool pads and WS as suggested.

These photos are after stripping off and a fresh coat. A small benefit was getting rid of the airbrushed exhaust which I had done terribly (I have no detail airbrush skills!!)

WP_20130615_002_zps2e5ec835.jpg

WP_20130615_004_zps40358bf8.jpg

Thanks again for assuring me it would be OK.