Spitfire MK I (DW K) - BoB Airfix 1/72 (Finished photos @ pag3)

ArmouredSprue

Hi all

Some progres:

Here how the seatbelts turned out

IMG_3467.jpg

IMG_3466.jpg

I liked the volume.

Fuselage is closed and ready for sanding.

IMG_3468.jpg

That's all for now, stay tuned!

Cheers

Paulo

Edited by ArmouredSprue

Hi mates!

Enjoying a cold, rainy day in Adelaide, I spent Saturday arvo modelling, here are some updates:

Fuselage sanded

IMG_3472.jpg

Canopy dipped into Future and set aside to dry. Very nice fit, only a small sand on the back and it's done!

b488aa7b-0106-4dc2-9f64-f166f5c14ceb.jpg

Perfect fit on the wings (here is glued but not sanded yet)

IMG_3475.jpg

IMG_3474.jpg

General view

IMG_3476.jpg

IMG_3479.jpg

IMG_3480.jpg

Here I found a mistake, there were missing those lines indicated in the photo.

37582513-2073-498b-b849-505e453b9b25.jpg

That's it so far! Comments always welcome!

Cheers

Paulo

I have always had doubts about the shape of the spinner in the new tool Airfix Mk Ia, it was a lot more accurate in the older 1975 kit IMHO.

IMG_3480.jpg

Here I found a mistake, there were missing those lines indicated in the photo.
That's it so far! Comments always welcome!
Cheers
Paulo

panel line 'trenches' show up well in the photo. A few coats of paint should fill them in a bit. BTW what is that brown stuff next to the model?

panel line 'trenches' show up well in the photo. A few coats of paint should fill them in a bit. BTW what is that brown stuff next to the model?

Hi pal!

The brown stuff is an experiment I did to create some mud to a Panzer III M I have recently finished, here is some photos:

D5580414-9EED-4631-B41B-4E915D1FD439-511

Cheers

Paulo

More photos:

Dark green applied, it is a mix of XF52:1 + XF62:5.

This aircraft displayed the standard B Scheme.

Future applied and awaiting for drying to proceed with decals, wash and weathering.

IMG_3499.jpg

IMG_3497.jpg

IMG_3500.jpg

IMG_3498.jpg

As usual, comments are welcome!

Cheers

Paulo

Paulo,

Given the depth of the panel lines on the kit and your preshading, I'm not sure a wash is necessary on the lower surfaces.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph

Hi all!

Here some photos to check the progress. This time I'm half the way with decalling.

Image.jpg

Image3.jpg

Image9.jpg

Image2.jpg

How you can se, I'm pretty happy with the big decals, no silvering and they have conformed very well into the fuselage and panel lines.

I used Future as decal solvent, it is easier to use, just place the decals in and after removing the water/humidity excess brush some future on top and on the sides, let it dry and that's it!

The following photos are to show the small stencils. They are a lot and they are small, but very well printed, you are able to read them all.

Image5.jpg

Image1.jpg

Image7.jpg

Now, my biggest mistake, have a look on the lines on the upper wing, I should have put them prior to the roundels, I think the idea is to have the roundels located in between them (there is a gap in the lines). However, if you put the roundels following the gap they will be located too much inside the wing, which is wrong.

My question is: Does this line goes over the roundel or the roundel goes over the line? Depending what is correct the way I'll approach to correct it will be easier or more difficult. :rolleyes:

Image8.jpg

Image4.jpg

Now is just a matter to put all the zillion small stencils left to the underside :D

Image6.jpg

That's it for while :cool:

Cheers

Paulo

The reason you are struggling to reconcile the walkways with the wing upper roundel is that you have put the wing roundel in the wrong place.

They should be further inboard than that. A rough visual guideline is that they should be approximately centred within the span of the aileron. Note also the relative position of the roundel with the outer gun port, which is marked by the small red patch on the leading edge, and by the access panel for the same gun, Both sides of that should be within the red centre of the roundel.

The walkway lines do not run across the top of the roundel.

4783106355_0230f743a6_z.jpg

Air_Supermarine%20Spifire%20Mk%201%20P93

Edited by Work In Progress

There were different aicrafts carrying the DW-K codes in 610 Squadron, so it's not surprising that some profiles show different serial numbers.

My first reaction upon viewing the initial photos was that the first may not be the same aircraft as that shown in the 2nd and 3rd. It would be unusual for them to repaint the same type of roundel in a different size. But that really doesn't matter to the build.

bob

Huge mistake!

Unfortunately I can't fix the roundels now :(

You probably can. Try some really good strong adhesive tape, and rub it down hard with something like a teaspoon handle over the decal, then rip it off at 90 degrees to the surface. That usually lifts any decal.

Righto!
A few more photos, now it is heading towards the end.
Hopefully the next update will be to show the completed model:

Well, the wash was done using black Tamiya Panel Accent in the panel lines and brown to simulate dirt.
After wash was completed, I did apply an coat of a mix of Vallejo clear using 1:1 Gloss : Matt thinned with demineralized water and applied using the airbrush.
After waiting for this coat to dry (which is very quick) i have applied pastel chalks to simulate motor stains and machine guns, brown was used to overal dirt.
I've drybrushed aluminium at the wing roots where the crew and pilots use to climb on the plane.
After all of this, I did apply a final coat of Vallejo clear using the same previous mix ratio to seal off the pastel effects.

SpitfireMK1002.jpg

SpitfireMK1003.jpg

I also created a weathering effect on the panel edges using a silve pencil.

SpitfireMK1006.jpg

SpitfireMK1004.jpg

SpitfireMK1005.jpg

SpitfireMK1008.jpg

SpitfireMK1007.jpg

SpitfireMK1012.jpg

SpitfireMK1009.jpg

Tha's all for now!

Wait for the next update with the completed model.

Hi all

Thanks for all comments, and here are the photos of the finished model:

IMG_3538.jpg

IMG_3541.jpg

IMG_3545.jpg

IMG_3546.jpg

IMG_3547.jpg

IMG_3548.jpg

IMG_3551.jpg

IMG_3549.jpg

IMG_3550.jpg

IMG_3542.jpg

IMG_3543.jpg

IMG_3537.jpg

IMG_3536.jpg

IMG_3534.jpg

IMG_3540.jpg

IMG_3544.jpg

IMG_3535.jpg

IMG_3539.jpg

This model was a lesson to me, and I really liked the final result.

Again, comments and critics are welcome!