Spitfire MK I (DW K) - BoB Airfix 1/72 (Finished photos @ pag3)

ArmouredSprue

Hi there

Here is my new project, a Spitfire MK I, new tooling from Airfix 1/72.

airfix_1071_title.jpg

I've gathered some info (mostly here in this forum) but I'm still with a few doubts to depict the Dw-K from the 610Sq.

Looking these photos:

a3c40ca0.jpg

38157868.jpg

spitfire_dwk_1.jpg

Does this aircraft have that Yellow lozenge o the upper left wing?

Also, the wheel bay and back of the wheels covers are in the same colour as the underside?

Do the helices have that small yellow dot at the base (manufacturer?) or just restored planes have it?

It also seems that there is no registration on the fuselage.

Sorry about so many questions!

Cheers

Edited by ArmouredSprue

The frequently shown air-to-air photo of DW-K also shows part of DW-O.

The fin flash appears to be reversed on DW-O with blue leading instead of red.

This was mentioned in Aeroplane (January and April 2010) but only as a possible "erks mispaint".

Does anybody know anything more, was the error repeated to starboard as well?

Tamiya only show the 'normal' starboard side on their 1/48th Mk1a kit.....

Also it may be worth looking at this Brimodeller site if you have not seen it already about BoB 610 Spitfires:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/51045-bob-spitfire-i-of-610-squadron-colours/

John

It certaily should have had the gas warning panel.

The wheel wells will have been Aluminium paint.

Thanks Graham!

I'm really not sure about the gas warnings though! I've not seen any pic of the 610 sq with those markings.

The propeller blade markings you refer to are not typical of Battle of Britain aeroplanes, so don't put any on.

Don't worry about the lack of a serial number. That happened sometimes in the Battle of Britain.

Good!

No propeller markings, but the registration is still a gray area.

cheers

DW-O appears to be in the background of two of the photos.

cheersy

http://www.aeroimageworks.com/spitfiresintheantipodesblog.htm

Prof-meisterrrrrrr

The frequently shown air-to-air photo of DW-K also shows part of DW-O.

The fin flash appears to be reversed on DW-O with blue leading instead of red.

This was mentioned in Aeroplane (January and April 2010) but only as a possible "erks mispaint".

Does anybody know anything more, was the error repeated to starboard as well?

Tamiya only show the 'normal' starboard side on their 1/48th Mk1a kit.....

Also it may be worth looking at this Brimodeller site if you have not seen it already about BoB 610 Spitfires:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/51045-bob-spitfire-i-of-610-squadron-colours/

John

Thanks John

Yes! i did already check around the Britmodeller site.

I've seen some profiles for this very plane and they don't show the registration.

On others the registration number is different from the P9495 that comes with kit.

Cheers

Just slightly off topic, Airfix quote the topside green as being Humbrol 163. According to the paint rack, that is quite a dark satin green, How many modellers have used this colour & are happy with it ? Or do you have your own tried & tested RAF topside green & if so, what do you like to use ?

It should be dark. I prefer Xtracolour Dark Green as an easier paint to use (over an undercoat) but 163 is a pretty good match. Humbrol have released a new version of H30 which is a matt RAF Dark Green, but it will take some time to replace all the old tins of H30 on the shelf.

Edited by Graham Boak

There were different aicrafts carrying the DW-K codes in 610 Squadron, so it's not surprising that some profiles show different serial numbers.

Regarding the green to use on the Spitfire, my favourite at the moment is Vallejo 888 Olive Grey. Not that Humbrol 163 is bad, I agree with Graham that it's a good match (it should be as it's supposed to be matched to RAF dark green) but simply I've had bad experiences with humbrol paints (admittedly the chinese made tins) and I've moved to acrylics for most of my model painting.

Could I ask which publication the phots come from . . .

Nick

Hi Nick

I've found those pics on the internet after a search at Google using: spitfire DW K.

Guys

I'm 100% sure about thecexistence of the P9495.

It made the first flight on the 4th April 1940 and moved into 610 Sq on the 2nd June.

She was then heavily damaged by an attack against III/JG52 and was written off on the 24th August.

My question is if I need to display the registration on the fuselage or not. By looking the photo above there is no sign of the registration under the squadron codes.

A [late] friend of mine flew DW-D in 1940 {Harry Clarke] According to him during the summer the airframe numbers were overpainted.

Edited by Black Knight

Hi all

Here are some photos showing the progress so far.

e8718536-ed95-443b-a7f3-7288249012a7.jpg

null-4.jpg

null-5.jpg

null-3.jpg

null-2.jpg

null-1.jpg

I'll also try something different for the sea tbelts, because the canopy will be left in the closed position I'll just decals fo seat belts, these came from a Tamiya kit, I just glued them in an aluminium foil using a pre-coat of Future, them another coat on top to seal everything.

Tomorrow I'll cut and glue.

null.jpg

Cheers

Paulo

ahh, its all coming together bit by bit.