Backdating a Canberra PR.9: advice please

Seahawk

I'm intending to backdate an Xtrakit 1/72 Canberra PR.9 to a 39 Squadron example from the early 1980s in Dark Sea Grey/Dark Green/Light Aircraft Grey camouflage. It'll probably be XH175 using markings from the Model Alliance sheet and maintenance markings from Modeldecal sheet 85.

So far, armed with the Aeroguide 34 and a helpful article in the Sep 2006 Air International I think I need to remove all signs of:

- the port for the Zeiss RMK-A camera aft of the bomb bay

- the IRLS doors on the bomb-bay doors

- the underwing hardpoints for the BOZ and TADS pods

- the flare dispenser squares outboard of the engine nacelles.

What have I missed? Also, what colour would the undercarriage bays have been? Latterly they were apparently white but I'm wondering if that is a late feature to help detection of stress cracks.

PS Pretty underwhelmed with the Model Alliance Canberra sheets: 2 sheets covering 13 subjects but not enough stencils to complete even one of them.

I'm intending to backdate an Xtrakit 1/72 Canberra PR.9 to a 39 Squadron example from the early 1980s in Dark Sea Grey/Dark Green/Light Aircraft Grey camouflage. It'll probably be XH175 using markings from the Model Alliance sheet and maintenance markings from Modeldecal sheet 85.

So far, armed with the Aeroguide 34 and a helpful article in the Sep 2006 Air International I think I need to remove all signs of:

- the port for the Zeiss RMK-A camera aft of the bomb bay

- the IRLS doors on the bomb-bay doors

- the underwing hardpoints for the BOZ and TADS pods

- the flare dispenser squares outboard of the engine nacelles.

What have I missed? Also, what colour would the undercarriage bays have been? Latterly they were apparently white but I'm wondering if that is a late feature to help detection of stress cracks.

PS Pretty underwhelmed with the Model Alliance Canberra sheets: 2 sheets covering 13 subjects but not enough stencils to complete even one of them.

I'm planning on building a PR9 in much the same scheme...I'd have thought you've more or less covered it. Aeroguide 34 will be my main point of reference, and that says that the bays are glossy white - certainly on the Hemp coloured machines. I'd imagine them to be the same in the earlier scheme too...and then in silver on the silver painted machines....

Seahawk, As Bill says, and I'd say white for the u/c bays should be OK too for that time frame, as far as I can remember that's the colour of the ones I saw around at the time. Have you had a look at my PR.9 album? http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=12628386. and from around the same time http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=13893537 .

John

...because they also produced a separate sheet containing nothing but Canberra stencils.

• 4 weeks later...

It might be worth checking on the camouflage finish.

I know that when I was stationed at Wyton in the late 70's the 39Sqn PR.9's were all finished in a gloss Polyurethane type camouflage scheme.

XVTonker

Edited by xvtonker

I have vague memories of XH165 in the mid-seventies still in the gloss polyurethane finish, toned down national markings with very scruffy matt black wheel and pyrotechnics bays. By then she had the TANS fairings on the fin leading edge and in place of the original tail cone, which I believe is the fit in the Xtrakit kit.