Swearing

Greg B

The old Anglo Saxon (other expletives and profanities are available) words have their place, but I really don't think a forum like this is it.

The only swear filter that works properly is the one in the mind of the poster. It's a shame that the inability of some to self-moderate means that automatic filters have to be put in place that have no regard for context. For example, a model of a fuel supply line here would have to have a stop tap, A pierce from a needle would be the way to describe opening a tube of glue.

• Like 4

Which is exactly why I don't like profanity filters because unless you can do full grammar and context parsing they aren't necessarily profanity! One of the major problem we had with the profanity filter I mentioned earlier was wifi hotspots located in pubs called "The Fighting Cocks" or "The Dick Whittington" and so on...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I remember my old Boys Brigade Captain turning an upright piano over while moving it, it landed across his foot. There were boys present and he somehow managed to go “ow, that hurt” A man I already held in the highest esteem went up even further in my estimation at that point!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Probably about time to dust this off and remind a minority of members that we have a no swearing rule. This also includes the use of symbols as letter substitutes and acronyms in an attempt to bypass the filter ;)

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

There seems to have been of late a marked increase in people trying to avoid the swearword filer by the use of symbols as letter substitutes and acronyms. Also by just leaving out the odd letter here and there. 

This will be treated the same by the moderating team as swearing. 

Please avoid doing this.

Thx

• Like 2

The "F-K" in that topic you locked was not a swearword but a reference to the very first post which was an abbreviation for "Featherstone-Kite" which is where that joke began

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235046845-almost-forgotten-aircraft-designer/&do=findComment&comment=3198018

Its a shame you locked that thread as it was quite entertaining and there were some interesting pictures posted.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kallisti said:

The "F-K" in that topic you locked was not a swearword but a reference to the very first post which was an abbreviation for "Featherstone-Kite" which is where that joke began

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235046845-almost-forgotten-aircraft-designer/&do=findComment&comment=3198018

Its a shame you locked that thread as it was quite entertaining and there were some interesting pictures posted.

Its not that, but other things which are hidden now. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kallisti said:

It is a shame, but those that were posting it with ulterior motives are the ones to blame for its closure.  They knew full-well what they were doing on a family friendly site, and what the consequences were :shrug:

• Sad 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Looking back at Gordon M's post about the restraint of the chap with a piano on his foot reminds me of how impressed I was, some years ago when teaching the lady who is now my wife to  drive. We came round a roundabout in open country onto an uphill dual carriageway so I'd suggested she plan to change down  a gear  to accelerate away. New to driving, she got the gear shift wrong and went into first, not third, which caused a very loud and rapid rev increase from the engine. Her instant reaction, as she changed back up - 'Jings!' the old Scottish 'Broons' comment. The closest I have ever heard to her swearing...

• Haha 7

• 3 months later...
On 13/06/2013 at 19:53, avro683 said:

My Mum was never convinced that the name of the well known Dutch aircraft manufacturer from World War 1 wasn't actually swearing. I had to be Very careful when talking about certain German biplanes.

Heracleum Mategaziani. I know that from a certain band! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 2/12/2020 at 8:50 AM, Tony Oliver said:

What is the world coming to? 🤷🏼‍♂️

2021 .... woo hoo.

No swearing  from ME just good vibrations and best for 2021 from the Paradise that is FIJI.

Visiting family and having fun as you all eill no doubt.

• Like 2

It reminds me of the time when I was a kid. I was rushing down the stairs wearing just my socks. In my haste one of my feet slipped over the edge of the step and I bounced on my bottom the 5 remaining steps. When I came to rest I closed my eyes and exclaimed a long drawn out Anglo Saxon word. When I opened them again there was my mother with a suitable look of anger. I have since never sworn at home since, or anyone elses, but I do swear a work. This forum to me I someone elses home. Simple as that.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Gomtuu said:

It reminds me of the time when I was a kid. I was rushing down the stairs wearing just my socks. In my haste one of my feet slipped over the edge of the step and I bounced on my bottom the 5 remaining steps. When I came to rest I closed my eyes and exclaimed a long drawn out Anglo Saxon word. When I opened them again there was my mother with a suitable look of anger. I have since never sworn at home since, or anyone elses, but I do swear a work. This forum to me I someone elses home. Simple as that.

We've all done it, and anyone that knows me knows that I swear, like, a lot.  Usually at Julien :shrug:  We just have to be grown up and hold it in.  Imagine there's a 7 year old sat just next to you, and keep the swears in your head :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2