57TH FIS Keflavik phantom question/Advice

max39

Dear Friends.

Am gathering material to model a 1.72nd American 57th fis at Keflavik in Iceland c1982.Ive ordered the decals from Bare metal foil/Experts choice.Could anybody recommend a kit to portray one of these birds please?.Would say the Fujimi 3oth anniversary f4e suffice?.Any thoughts guys?

Cheers and happy modelling from Richard

They were slatted F-4Es, so any kit that covers that option will be good. They carried chaff/flare dispensers on the wing pylons; I have a picture of one without wing tanks which clearly shows that (unfortunately it's not mine, so I can't post it). I mention that because there's been some debate about it. My experience with the Bare Metal decals is that the lance markings on the wing tanks are invariably out of register, I picked up two sets and they sent me a replacement also, and all three were out of register on the wing tank decals.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph

Hi Murph.

Thanks for the reply.Just hope my decals are ok.Will see if i can get a nice f4e maybe Sunday at Duxford Mafva.

Thanks mate,All the best from Richard

Hi Don.

Thanks for the reply.I will seek the Fujimi kit to start things rolling.

All the best from Richard

Does anybody know where i can get the chaff/flare dispensers for f4e pylons please?,Do any kits have them supplied already?

Cheers from Richard

Hi Andy.

Thanks for the info.Will look the kits up for details.

Cheers from Richard

Hi Jens.

Thanks for the reply.Would the Hasegawa iranian f4e have the parts needed for the f4e 57th fis?.

Cheers from Richard

Yes, I believe that kit is the new tool version. It's easy to identify as the fuselage halves are split in fore and aft, and the kit in general has recessed panel lines (the old kit has one-piece fuselage halves and raised panel lines).

Jens

Hi GUYS.

Thanks v much Jens and Murph for your help and recommendations.

• Like 1

Hello,

I started building from the revell F-4F. I sourced the slotted stabs from an esci phantom. The kit is nice enough for me.

Cheers

Robonth

Hi Robonth.

Thanks for the reply.Sounds an interesting build with a German f4f.Could be one possiblity as im not a rivet counter or expert aircraft modeller.

Cheers from Richard

Hi Robonth.

Thanks for the reply.Sounds an interesting build with a German f4f.Could be one possiblity as im not a rivet counter or expert aircraft modeller.

Cheers from Richard

The F-4F is externally identical to an F-4E aside from the lack of slotted stabs. The differences are internal and in weapons fit (to be exact, the Sparrow-related equipment was not installed, resulting in a lighter Phantom with no need for slotted stabs, but no ability to carry AIM-7).

Note that anyone building an F-4E will need to source some AIM-7 Sparrows, the Revell F-4F kits lack them as the Luftwaffe never operated Sparrows on their Phantoms. The ICE-upgraded F-4F's do have AIM-120 AMRAAM capability though and that's what is included in the Revell kit.

Edited by Adam Maas

Hi Adam.

Thanks for the valuable comments.Will do a LuftwaFfe ice f4f soon as i like the camouflage patterns they used.Have read the Revell f4f isnt a bad kit,Must be better then paying daft ammounts for Hase 72nd phantoms.