1:144 Wessex HU.5 - Anigrand (conversion)

Been there, done that, got the bruises! :fuyou_2:

btw, anyone want to buy a second hand jigsaw? :blush: Almost finished spitting them out and they look to be complete(ish). :confused:

Mike

one of the things I needed to do was cast a new door, to replace the damaged one when I cut out the opening in the fuselage.

I cast a thin layer of resin in the mould and let it set, which wasn't long in this warmth!

wessex5_helicopter_ii_gb_16_door_mould1.

Once it had dried, I lifted the cast out and cut around the residue thereby leaving a fairly decent door. I can now position that on the

model either fully open or just partially open.

wessex5_helicopter_ii_gb_17_door_mould2.

The oleos have been installed and I also gave the fuselage a coat of light stone/sand colour, as this will be in the sand & spinach camouflage of the 1960's (sorry about the glare on the image).

wessex5_helicopter_ii_gb_18_sand_colour.

Will try to do a bit more tomorrow.

Cheers

Mike

• Like 1

Next is the masking for the green cam. As can be seen, in the image below, I have scanned a side view of a Wessex; scaled it then printed it off.

I then cut out the bits for the sand and stuck them to the model. This just left the areas for green exposed

wessex5_helicopter_ii_gb_19_masking_for_

The door has been painted up and will be ready to attach once the decals are on.

wessex5_helicopter_ii_gb_20.jpg

Exhaust outlets and some of the decals added - I mainly used spares from the Sea King kit by Sweet.

wessex5_helicopter_ii_gb_23.JPG

I have just hit a snag; the decals for the letter 'N' (taken from an old SuperScale 1:72 F-111 sheet) have just disintegrated in while dipping them in the water.

I have put a request for help in the Wanted section as I don't have any other source for that pair of letters.

cheers

Mike

• Like 1

It's really fascinating to see these small scale models progressing. I always tend to forget how small they actually are when there is no reference beside them. Fantastic.

If you don't find that N in time, I could probably print it for you (in white) if I have the measurement and font.

• 2 weeks later...

I now have the decals for the side and front code letter (thanks Paul J and Smudge!!) and have attached them, followed by a coat of Klear

wessex5_helicopter_ii_gb_24.JPG

The main wheels have been glued on. I shall be scratchbuilding some flotation cans and air bottle to fit on the wheels next.

wessex5_helicopter_ii_gb_25.JPG

The door is ready to add in the open position, slid back towards the window, but I won't do it until the end as it is rather fragile.

That's it for tonight but hope to do some more tomorrow, if it isn't too hot.

cheers

Mike

• Like 1

Still not too much doing at the moment, mostly trying to keep cool.

A couple of items I am attempting at the moment are the flotation cans, for the wheel hubs, and a cradle to hold the rotor blades when folded:

The flotcans in the process of being whittled from a piece of plastic tubing. The Wx5 at the right rear has one dry-fitted for testing.

wessex5_helicopter_ii_gb_26_flotcans.JPG

The blade fold cradle being scratchbuilt from various bits of fine plastic strips and rod.

wessex5_helicopter_ii_gb_28_bladefold.JP

The cradle, dry-fitted for size in position on the fuselage. The actual blade holders are lying to the sides and still need to be filed down to shape.

wessex5_helicopter_ii_gb_30_bladefold.JP

The original blades are slightly curved, which is fine for the rotor droop when in the extended position but not for folded when they would be straight.

I shall have to straighten one out and make a mould so that I can cast four new ones from it. That is when the temparature cools as the resin is setting too quickly at the moment.

wessex5_helicopter_ii_gb_27_bladefold.JP

When finished the cradle will be painted red and then each blade will be attached at the rotor head and the cradle. I haven't fully decided which Wessex to have in the folded position yet. It will either be this one or the HAS.3, ready for stowing as seen on the back of County Class destroyers.

wessex5_helicopter_ii_gb_33_bladefold.JP

That's it for now.

cheers

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks Keefr,

I must admit it is not the largest thing I've ever scratchbuilt :blink:

wessex5_helicopter_ii_gb_34_bladefold.JP

I'm now off to search t'internet for one of those quasar light attachments for my Optivisor :hypnotised: .

cheers

Mike

• Like 2

Haha, that really puts it into context, great stuff!! I bought a headband magnifier in MZ today, I still don't think I could do that even using 'the bottom of a milkbottle' lens included in it! (probably need an electron microscope!!)

I'm watching all your 1/144 helo builds in this GB, really enjoying them all!

• 3 weeks later...

That's a crazily small part, and it makes the blade brackets in the post above scarily impressive. I have no idea how you get that kind of consistency on repeated parts!

• 5 weeks later...

Another spurt and dash to get this one, as well as my Wessex 1 and 3, finished in time.

Due to the time constraints (I haven't been able to do much over the last month) I have decided not to continue with the folded blade option; although I will continue to build that but outside of this GB.

The canopy was painted and fitted. I have sawn off the side windows and had intended on fitting them in the open position but I have run out of time on this GB to finish that. Another item I will do at a later stage.

wessex5_helicopter_ii_gb_35_canopy_on.jp

The main rotors were painted up; after various experiments in trying to get the yellow 'lifting strap' lines straight and correct, I finally decided to spray the whole blade yellow and then mask the areas of the lines with fine 0.4mm masking tape. I then sprayed the whole blade a very light grey/green (the Junglies had this) and, once the tapes were removed, the lines looked quite acceptable.

wessex5_helicopter_ii_gb_36_main_rotors.

The crew access door has also been fitted. This was cast made from a mould, when the door was still in it's original closed position.

wessex5_helicopter_ii_gb_37_main_rotors.

Lastly was the tail rotor to be fitted and then the completed model was placed on a base representing a Jungle clearing setting.

wessex5_helicopter_ii_gb_42_base2.jpg

I got the inspiration for this setting from a photo on the web, depicting a forward operating base (FOB) in Borneo during the confrontation in the early to mid- 1960's.

wessex5_helicopter_ii_gb_43_base3.jpg

The stepladder (1:144 PE by Brengun) is intended to be laid on it's side as this is how it is depicted in the real scene!

wessex5_helicopter_ii_gb_47_base7.jpg

Well, that's it. This completes my trilogy of Wessex helicopters in 1:144 scale for this GB. After this, knocking something together in 1:72 or higher should be a real doddle!

Thanks for looking and also thanks to those who provided help with sourcing decals, plus the helpful advice; I really appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Cheers

Mike

Congratulations Mike, your Wessi looks very good. I like the blade fold saddle, I thought I was mad modelling it in 48th. Here are you doing it four times smaller, congratulations.

Love the base.

Colin