Saab JAS-39C Gripen (Griffon) OOB Build 1:48

A brief update. I saw two Gripen displays at the weekend, so am fired up to finish this one now :) I've been working on the weathering for the underside, using a combination of oils and thin coats of Tamiya smoke, referring to some underside shots to try & get it looking something like a Gripen's underside. This extends to the colour of the gear bay doors, which vary between lovely and clean, through a bit grubby, to really rather filthy. I also used a bit of pigment weathering here and there to mucky it up a bit more. The upper side got a similar treatment, although a lot less severe, extending mainly to panel edges on the spine, the APU exhausts and a port on the starboard flank that seems to exude dirt as an airframe gets used.

weathering1.jpg

weathering2.jpg

I'm getting to the stage where I can add the gear bay doors, and then it'll be a case of painting up and installing all the little breakable parts around the fuselage and making up the two probes, one from the tail, the other from the tip of the nose. I've also got to do some areas of spot painting to similate the various dielectric panels and so forth around the airframe. Wish me luck! ;)

• Like 4

Thanks chaps :) I'm really enjoying the "muck" phase, and am currently working on the small parts. The landing gear bay doors are all installed now, which was a bit fiddly, especially when I lost one of the doors from the nose wheel bay. I elected to scratch build two new ones so they matched, and that was quite quickly finished. fitting them and the door was a little tricky though, as the angles for the parts was difficult to establish without putting them in place and applying glue. The catch 22 situation. The canopy is next on my list, and I'm preparing the PE mirrors as I write this, with a couple of drops of neat Alclad Chrome brushed into the recesses over time giving me a suitably reflective finish.

I'll take some pics later if I have chance :)

Bay doors on now, plus a few aerials :)

airframe2.jpg

I think the bays & doors are a bit dark, but I'm not about to change them now :fraidnot:

• Like 6

Some small progress in the form of blade antennae from styrene an PE, the refuelling probe, which I added a Master probe tip to after nipping off the slightly oval shaped original, and the installation of the ejector seat. not pictured is the canopy, which has had the PE mirrors and anti-glare panel added, and is ready to be installed.

airframe3.jpg

I'll hang the bombs later once I've got the two pitot probes and AoA probes from Master to review. Might as well use them for a "Live Review" :)

• Like 2

Looking good Mike.

A little request if you don't mind: could you show how she looks from the side while on her legs?

I think one of the major faults with the italeri kit is the way it stands on its legs with the nose gear to long giving it a nose up appearance.

/Johan

I'll have a go Johan, possibly when I post up the finished pics... my camera setup is quite difficult to change (it's great for "normal" shots), so I'll have to do some mucking about with it. :S

It's all a learning experience to me! :lol: I didn't do any modelling for about 3 months before I started this one (and the Me.262) so I'm relearning after a fashion ;)

• Like 1