Saab JAS-39C Gripen (Griffon) OOB Build 1:48

When these aircraft first come out I was never that bothered by them, even though I love Swedish aircraft.... as time has gone by I've warmed to them, they look the part now. Doing a great job as per Mike :);)

Doesn't it, and with a HOOOGE decal like that, which is incidentally quite delicate, I just didn't want to take the risk ^_^

• Like 1

Finished the rest of the decals last night, and sprayed a protective coat of Alclad Aqua Gloss.

airframe8.jpg

Washes and small parts next :)

Finished the first layer of weathering on the upper surfaces, which involved a wash of Mig neutral enamel, with the excess removed using some well-worn kitchen towel. it's not highlighted the rivets as well as I would have liked, but this was a relatively clean aircraft that wasn't covered in muck or faded paintwork. There were some panels resprayed later in her life, plus some muck from the various exhausts dotted around her surface, which is the effect I'll be aiming for. plenty of time to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory though ;)

airframe9.jpg

I also touched in the tail decal using a mixture of Lifecolor Black and Signalbraun in a 3:1 ratio. Seems to have worked a treat :)

• Like 3

I received mine in the mail today and I agree with you Mike, it is truly a nice kit. Your build is coming along very nicely. Just a small note of caution for those interested in building the SAAF version, the colour callouts in the instructions are wrong as they indicate the same colour greys for all versions. All Gripen users do use the same two tone grey scheme except for the SAAF. The SAAF Gripens are painted in a more blue-ish tint of greys as can be seen on the picture below.

Regards

SAAF_zps318cf9b7.jpg

Good spot. :)

Incidentally - I've noticed that the centreline tank seems to be a fairly standard fit on a Gripen. There's only one tank included in the kit, and that's on the Mirage sprues. It doesn't look right, as the tanks I'm seeing seems to be quite wide & more square in cross-section with horizontal fins rather than angled ones with small H-tails on them. Where can I pull one from in the stash, or in Aftermarketland? :hmmm:

Good spot. :)

Incidentally - I've noticed that the centreline tank seems to be a fairly standard fit on a Gripen. There's only one tank included in the kit, and that's on the Mirage sprues. It doesn't look right, as the tanks I'm seeing seems to be quite wide & more square in cross-section with horizontal fins rather than angled ones with small H-tails on them. Where can I pull one from in the stash, or in Aftermarketland? :hmmm:

Maestro Models makes fuel tanks for the gripen (the big 1200 liter kind), but i think theese are only used on the inboard wing pylons in pairs (please correct me if i'm wrong about this) http://www.rebell.com/1200-liters-falltank-x-2.html?___store=eu&___from_store=default

The centerline tank (800 liter?) looks suspiciously like the ones used on the Draken http://www.rebell.com/svenskt/details/saab-draken-falltankar-fuel-tanks.html?___store=eu&___from_store=default

Or you could rob the tanks from a Italeri gripen

Johan

Edited by flarpen

Didn't have an Italeri kit so I'll have to bite the bullet, and from the photos I've seen, the centreline is sometimes the home for this type of tank too. One thing I've noticed that isn't catered for in the kit is that on some PR shots, there are two LGBs suspended side-by-side on the fuselage underside. Is that some funky pylon that's not included in the kit? :shrug:

Didn't have an Italeri kit so I'll have to bite the bullet, and from the photos I've seen, the centreline is sometimes the home for this type of tank too. One thing I've noticed that isn't catered for in the kit is that on some PR shots, there are two LGBs suspended side-by-side on the fuselage underside. Is that some funky pylon that's not included in the kit? :shrug:

You mean like this? http://mediabank.saabgroup.com/saab30/Standard/recorddetail.jsp?recordView=searchResult_RecordInfo&catalogID=5&recordID=3338

This is the Gripen NG Demo (39-7), This is the basis for the next gen gripen E version.