A (Very) Faithful Annie 1/72

Well it's been a long old build but here she is!

This Annie depicts a late war Air Transport Auxiliary bird that flew ferry missions throughout the war and eventually flew to the continent, picking up a lot of wear and tear during its career. It is based on Anson N5334 which (I think) was at White Waltham. Ansons used by the ATA were worked extremely hard and never really got any lime light for their efforts. They ferried ATA pilots all over the UK, without radio or instrument flying capability. Following D-Day many Ansons were stripped out and used to fly medicine, newspapers, ferry pilots and even champagne to the continent. On their return leg they would bring back ferry pilots, POW's and the occasional "duty-free" item when no-one was looking (motorbikes, bicycles, cigarettes, etc...) ;)

IMG_3640_zps737d1210.jpg

IMG_3636_zpsb482560b.jpg

IMG_3638_zps8bcf4cdf.jpg

IMG_3643_zps61a70a0f.jpg

IMG_3644_zps104cd380.jpg

I'm going to put this a/c in a diorama that will be to follow...

Ben.

Edited by wellsprop
  • Like 7

Great job, especially the paint and weathering. I really enjoy seeing workhorse aircraft that didn't get the headlines. Looking forward to seeing the diorama.

I think I recently saw something on the ATA. That was the service a lot of women were attached to if I remember correctly. Program was called Spitfire Sisters and it was awesome. Those women were proper heroes and they really deserve the kudos they eventually got a few years ago. Didn't know that they used the Anson to fly to the continent after D-Day but that's really interesting. Love the model and the story. Was this one flown by the female pilots as well?

Thanks all :)

I think I recently saw something on the ATA. That was the service a lot of women were attached to if I remember correctly. Program was called Spitfire Sisters and it was awesome. Those women were proper heroes and they really deserve the kudos they eventually got a few years ago. Didn't know that they used the Anson to fly to the continent after D-Day but that's really interesting. Love the model and the story. Was this one flown by the female pilots as well?

The diorama I'm going to do will be a tribute to the ATA and the Anson. The ATA shifted over 308,000 aircraft of over 130 types. At some point this a/c was likely flown by a woman http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3006/4076891577_20f65701a3_z.jpg?zz=1

Ben

• Like 1

Great work! You must do another Anson!

One day... ;) I'm going to finish restoring my Spitfire XIV, followed by building another XIV, then I'm building the 48th EE Lightning for my grandfather, followed by the 72nd Dambuster for my Air Cadet squadron... So when I have some free time I'm going to build the Airfix Anson, lavished with all the left over resin bits for the gun turret etc...

Back to school for me now, starting upper sixth. I hope everyone has enjoyed the work in progress http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234940400-complete-172-special-hobby-anson/ I doubt I'll be doing any more WIP's until the summer, however, I will maintain a presence on the Ready For Inspection forum with forthcoming builds.

Cheers all!

Ben.

Edited by wellsprop

Top notch model.....Suitably worn without looking fit for the scrapheap. :thumbsup:

Dan Taylor Modelworks and Friendship Models (Wee Friends) both have a few 1/72 female figures that might be of use to you. :nerd:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Ive completed the majority of the diorama now, just a few figures and maybe a jeep to go. Heres pictures of how it currently is.

20130624_075438_zps22ac3075.jpg

20130624_075452_zps7fb9c555.jpg

Sorry, the image quality is very poor as i was using my phone and ceiling lights. Better pictures to come later...

Ben.

Edited by wellsprop