Bell 412 Griffin HAR2 RAF Akrotiri....

OK guys, here is my new entry, it's the Italeri Bell CH-146 Griffon kit. I'm going to build it in it's RAF guise as.There are few parts for the SAR fit that will need to be made during the build. I'm using the article in SAM Volume 28 No.2 April 2006 plus good old Google Images as well as, Airliners.net. Markings will come from the Model Alliance sheet UK Air Arm Update Pt.1 MA-72137. These were kindly donated by Craig Tuff a fellow Brit modeller, many thanks Craig.

Ok, here's the Griffon box art.

3cb3d351-dc6d-4c08-9710-e27ac0445596_zps

The parts layout, note the two sets of floatation bags (dark green plastic) which came from the 212 kit.

IMG_1216_zps0d469b70.jpg

The decal Model Alliance sheet alnogside the kit decal sheet.

IMG_1217_zpsa7464401.jpg

Right then it's full steam ahead.

Colin

Funnily enough saw this image, posted by Defence Images, on facebook the other day and very nearly posted it up asking what it was!?

296115_10151398755030566_336901280_n.jpg

Look forward to seeing this one develop :)

They took over in Cyprus after the Wessex were withdrawn. Lots to do on the kit, interor rescue fit, enlarge the cabin door glazing and lots of external additions.

Colin

Hey Colin! Having just responded to your 'Gary won't let me' entry :) I was happy to come across this entry of yours. Thanks for staying with us. And I look forward to seeing how this progresses.

Gary

Hi Gary, you weren't going to scare me away that easily, ha! No seriously I was up for this GB from the start and as the We3sex is my favorite subject the Frog jumped to the fore. Friday afternoon in ancipation of your decission I had a rather large pile of kits out trying to decide, the Griffin won but only just the other contestant was the HB Mil-8/17 in raspberry ripple markings.

Colin

Hi Colin, great choice...

Built one in 1/48 a while back and was helped by Nick - turnerdad who posted this link

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/14235-raf-akrotiri-cyprus-griffin-pics/?hl=griffin

I dropped Nick a PM and he was kind enough to send me a CD full of high-resolution pictures of all 4 Griffins in Cyprus...

Looking forwards to seeing some progress shots..

Hi Oz., I rmember your build the model looked great. I too wanted to build in 48th but can't find the decals. I was sent some pics by Glen Genet so have enough to be going on with in 72nd scale. The iteleri kit in 72nd is a but hit and miss, in that it fts where it touches!

I would still like to build the 48th version a and maybe make up a conversion set. It's that or an ASW 212/412 set.

Colin

hcoptergb_zps20a09ba41_zpsfbccc826.jpg

Edited by heloman1

OK, time for an update. I've been working on the cabin and the rescue fit, crew seats etc.

First up the cabin roof, I've added the grab rail above the cabin doors, I've used anglers strace wire, fairly stiff but reasonably cheap. I've added the stretcher and what looks liek a folded dinghy pack. There is a little more to add along with the roof lights.

IMG_1222a_zps26c0b51b.jpg

Next up the cabin floor and rear bukhead, I've added the edges of the seatray, it's a sheet of stong polythene/rubber that covers the cabin floor and up the buklheads. I've also stated to add the various bags, holdalls etc.

IMG_1223a_zps8505e1a5.jpg

On the starborad side rear there is a cew seat and some gear stowed behind it. I found some seats in a Comorant kit that I woun't be using and they look the part. The second pair of seats are positioned looking aft behind the pilot/co-pilot seats

To the left are the two cabin doors, the glazing is about 30% larger than the standard windows so I've enlarged then and added the prominent surround. I've used .25 plasticard 1mm larger than the opening glued in place then allowed to set up overnight before removing the middle and then a careful clean up.

IMG_1218a_zpsb1dab11f.jpg

More to follow as I progress.

Colin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking great Col,

I`ve been put off doing this Griffon due to the various extra mods and the larger windows in the cabin door but you`ve got them all sorted so far and I`m looking forward to seeing how you progress,........although it is all a bit above me and out of my league,...a bit like Accrington Stanley playing Chelsea!!!

Cheers for now,

Tony O

Thanks Tony and Tony O, been away from it for a week but got back to it again briefly yesterday and built up the door front cabin frame as the starboard one houses the hoist control panel. I need to add the seatray on the floor plus the various mats etc, then return to the cabiin roof for the dispatchers harness and mic leads. Cockpit seats and overhead console after that. I also had a look at the main rotorhead that too needs some extra detail.

I'll take some pics later.

Colin

• 4 weeks later...

Hiya Colin,

Have you thought of moulding resin copies of the extra work that you`ve done and releasing them as a conversion kit via Ali? I`d buy one for sure as most of it is beyond me, especially those doors with the larger windows.

Looking forward to the next update,

Cheers

Tony O

I Tony, I hadn't given it much thought but I suppose I could, I'd need to speak to Ali and then make a plan. It would of course depent on the amount of interest. I wanted to do it in 48th scale too, incorporating the Belcher Bits conversion. The AW decals sheet is out of print so that would need to be done as well.

This project is on hold until I get the Wessex HAS1 finished.

Colin

Colin,

I'd be interested in a conversion set a la your Whirlwind sets. I have the kit, the decals and a few reference pics but not the time to scratchbuild the necessary mods, so if there was an off the shelf solution I'd buy it!

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pat, this build is in suspension at present, whilst I bat on with my Wessex HAS 1 conversion. See elsewhere in the Helo GB as per my original idea but now in 48th scale. Wish I could find the MA declas in 48th!

Colin