Here’s another Crusader that I built several years ago. It's the old reliable Monogram F-8E that I converted to a 'J' model, which I have ugraded over time. I added an aftermarket seat, and an out-of-production flap/droop/underwing bay set by High Flight. I scribed lines on the leading edge droops to at least depict the appearance of the extended droops of the 'J' version. The UHT’s (unit horizontal tail) are larger on the J version, but I didn’t correct that (yet!). I also extended the main and nose gear struts to correct the too-low stance of the kit gear, and later used parts from a Hasegawa Crusader kit for the ‘football’ ECM antenna on the tail. I added scrap plastic rod and wire to busy up the gear wells, and scratch-built steps and a boarding ladder. In addition, I added a canopy restraint strap, replaced the plastic pitot probe with wire, and added an afterburner nozzle from a section of an old F-18 exhaust cone. I used SuperScale decals to depict the VF-211 CAG jet from USS Hancock, circa 1972. The Remove Before Flight flags are from Eduard, and the Sidewinders are from Hasegawa’s weapons set (which I need to replace with a later variant!). Monogram’s Crusader is a great value for the money, with the biggest innaccuracy being the cockpit is a few scale inches too wide, giving the canopy and windscreen a flattened appearance when compared to the actual jet. But with a little extra work, it can be buit into a fine model.

F-8Jweb1_zps911277f0.jpg

F-8Jweb2_zps8f024e1b.jpg

F-8Jweb3_zps2b52d8d1.jpg

F-8Jweb5_zpsa5995057.jpg

F-8Jweb4_zps70192556.jpg

• Like 3

Half the price (Hasegawa) but still excellent result on this famous jet.

Job well done.

Regards,

Dirk

• Like 1

I love the monogram 'sader! The only issue I have with the kit is the ejection seat that comes with it (Not even the correct type... not even close. It's a GRU-7A ejection seat from a Tomcat/Intruder!) other than that, whatever issues the it has are easy fixes. A great kit for the cost!

• Like 1

I still have a unstarted Monogram F-8 in the stash with a True Details cockpit, SAC landing gear, and decals for VMF-333. Your build makes me want to break it out. {I must finish other projects first,,, I must finish other projects first...)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...