1/48 Sea King SH-3D # 66

Magnificent Jorgen, now you've got the decals applied and soem panel line shading (understated) it really got some shape to it. Thanks for the pics.

Colin

I had lots of other stuff to do today, but couldn't resist doing some work on this. I test fitted the sponsons and realised that first I had to do the camera wiring while I still had work access. So I started installing the camera mount and cameras, only to discover that I hadn't got the camera mount quite right. I had attached it to both the original brackets, and that meant the cameras ended up to far forward, to close to the door, to enable the wiring to be routed according to references. So the mount had to be cut apart, the forward bracket rebuilt to original, and the whole thing installed further back on the rear bracket. This is how it ended up. The wiring is done with twin copper wires. Next I will "tape in" all the naked wiring to the fuselage with yellow decal strips.

SeaKing_37.jpg

And here the camera wiring is taped in and the sponsons with their Yagi antennas finally attached. I realise now that the wiring is still not perfectly routed. It should really be above the door "slider", so it's covered by the opened door, but this is how it will end up on my model.

SeaKing_38.jpg

Then I set about to make the horizontal antenna wire on the port side. I worked from Hasegawas box art. Although it's from after the repaint and remarking between Apollo 11 and 12 I still hope it's correct. I know I had a good thin rigging wire left from when I rigged my Titanic 1/350 model 10 years ago, but somehow I couldn't find it now, so I resorted to stretched sprue. After a few attempts this is what I came up with.

SeaKing_39.jpg

And so she's also sitting on her own wheels now, close to being called finished. Next I will try to adjust the fit of the rotors so I won't have to glue them, as that would make eventual packaging and travel to some show a lot easier.

SeaKing_40.jpg

So she's officially done, as she would have looked on 24th July 1969 while waiting for lift off call to meet up with the splashed down Apollo 11 capsule.

Thanks for all support and praise, it has been a very enjoyable build and rewarding to do something out of the usual comfort zone. More pics are in the gallery.

SeaKing_41.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

So she's officially done, as she would have looked on 24th July 1969 while waiting for lift off call to meet up with the splashed down Apollo 11 capsule.

Thanks for all support and praise, it has been a very enjoyable build and rewarding to do something out of the usual comfort zone. More pics are in the gallery.

SeaKing_41.jpg

...just about to start one of these kits but converting the Westland HAR5 to a HAS6 version. Fantastic build and great insight to the Hasegawa 1:48 base kit. Thank you