1/48 Sea King SH-3D # 66

So here I am, way out of my comfort zone... :frantic:

This will be my contribution to the GB, Hasegawa's 1:48 Sea King SH-3D, built as the well known # 66, during the Apollo 11 rescue.

I haven't built a helicopter model since I was a kid (with the exception of Leonardo DaVinci's apparatus a few years back) and that's quite some time ago, and they were probably not any good. Also I'm not usually building any military style aircrafts. Well, the building itself should not be much of a problem, but I really have no clue at all how to best paint the thing. It's not made easier by the fact that I'm currently doing my best to change over to Lifecolor paints for this kind of work. All new territories. Oh well, we'll see how it goes.

I plan a more or less OOB build. I think I may get one of those canopy masking sets. The kit decals are somewhat of an issue, they are not correct for Apollo 11, and the box art is a somewhat later version. There was a correct decal sheet available a few years back, but I can't find it today, or I'm not looking at the right places. I think I will get around it reasonably well by cutting some of the kit decals and drawing and printing my own 66 decals.

SeaKing_1.jpg

SeaKing_2.jpg

So that's the sprues, full of interesting not too familiar parts. I hope I will work through them all in time.

Hi Jorgen, I've got one of these kits in the stash and it looks like a good kit to build. I'm going to watch your build thread with interest.

Colin

Hei Hei Jorgen,

Not a bad choice if you haven't done a helo for a while.....watch the fitting of the lower hull piece to the fuselage....IIRC, I needed to trim this down a little and used some filler. The sponsons are a little tricky too....their fit is not 100% and you could lose some of the engraved detail when you fill and sand the joints. Other than that, it goes together pretty well. The cockpit is a bit sparse under all the glazing so you may want to consider a Eduard zoon set for the instrument panels, seat straps etc. If I find the info on the Apollo 11 'pick up' decals I'll forward them to you.

Good Luck

Mark

Cheers guys, sometimes you just have to leave your well known corner and try something else...

Great! These are the decals I mean. I actually visited that page when I bought the kit in feb/march but nothing looked available then, it's been updated since. I've already placed an order. Problem 1 sorted.

Hei Hei Jorgen,

Not a bad choice if you haven't done a helo for a while.....watch the fitting of the lower hull piece to the fuselage....IIRC, I needed to trim this down a little and used some filler. The sponsons are a little tricky too....their fit is not 100% and you could lose some of the engraved detail when you fill and sand the joints. Other than that, it goes together pretty well. The cockpit is a bit sparse under all the glazing so you may want to consider a Eduard zoon set for the instrument panels, seat straps etc. If I find the info on the Apollo 11 'pick up' decals I'll forward them to you.

Good Luck

Mark

Thanks, notes taken. I have been thinking along the same lines regarding the cockpit. Lot's of glass and it looks large inside and the scale is similar to my 1:43 resin race car models that I just about always detail up the interior on. Will check the Eduard sets, and the truth is that I rarely manage an OOB build if there are good detail sets available...

Nice choice, I look forward to this, I have a second seaking and fancy doing this scheme, brings back memories of grainy black and white TV pictures of the astraunauts splash down and recovery

Edited by delta7

You're welcome.I've got those decals myself for my future '66 project.They come with lots of great detail info as well.

Cheers

Jeffrey

Sounds great, not least the extra info. Would you say it is a good idea to wait with any major work until the sheet with instructions arrives? I mean I don't want to open holes or remove details on the fuselage/hull according to Hasegawas instructions in case they are nor correct...

I had a good look at the interior parts today, and when I came to the seats with their moulded in seat belts I went off and ordered the Eduard zoom interior set.

Nice choice, I look forward to this, I have a second seaking and fancy doing this scheme, brings back memories of grainy black and white TV pictures of the astraunauts splash down and recovery

That's very much the mode I've been into the last months or more, reading and watching the old Apollo stuff. It was great times.

Sounds great, not least the extra info. Would you say it is a good idea to wait with any major work until the sheet with instructions arrives? I mean I don't want to open holes or remove details on the fuselage/hull according to Hasegawas instructions in case they are nor correct...

I had a good look at the interior parts today, and when I came to the seats with their moulded in seat belts I went off and ordered the Eduard zoom interior set.

That's very much the mode I've been into the last months or more, reading and watching the old Apollo stuff. It was great times.

I think you can go ahead and do the mods according to the instructions (but perhaps double check with other reference sources - the mods are intended to transform the original generic SH-3H moulds to generic SH-3D standard. The info that comes with the decal sheet is more for additional exteriour details that was specific to the recovery operations such as cameras and antennae. You can build '66 as it was at four different points in time for the various recovery operations of Apollo 8, 10, 11 and 12.

I thought I would sit down and take it easy until the decals and cockpit parts arrived, to avoid doing any dumb mistakes that will need a second correction. And today the decals arrived, with a some sheets of added information. They look great and I'm glad I could get hold of the sheet after seeing what I would have applied otherwise. Looks indeed like I'll be scratching a few cameras and antennas as well. Now I can start the modifications of the fuselage and hull parts.

SeaKing_3.jpg

• Like 1

The last(?) things arrived yesterday, the Eduard cockpit detail set and also a masking set. Will be interesting to see how the cockpit set turns out, but it looks really good.

SeaKing_4.jpg

Now, what this really means is that I have totally run out of excuses for not having started to actually build it...

Now that the excuses are out I have actually got some real work done. All cockpit parts are modified for the PE-parts, prepared and assembled for painting. I'm surprised that Eduard did not supply a PE-part for the small left side "roof console". But never mind, it will do. I now need to prepare the inside of the fuselage halves for paint as well.

SeaKing_5.jpg

I have a question for those of you who know more about the technical details of these things. The instructions from the decals says to not install the dipping sonar, as it was removed to make additional room in the cabin during the Apollo missions, but the recess in the hull shall remain. Question is, how much should I remove? That sonar is, as far as understand, moulded in one piece with the hull recess. Do I remove only the long smaller diameter thing, or do I remove everything inside to create a completely flat "roof"?

SeaKing_6.jpg

I am trying to work out what that part is meant to be. Assuming it's the sonar well seen from beneath the aircraft, then the "spike" in the centre is the bottom of the sonar body itself, so should certainly go. I have no idea what the round thing that surrounds it (i.e. inside the outer round thing!) is meant to be, but I am only familiar with the Westlands version. They would have taken out the whole installation - pit head gear, etc. - to make room and save weight, and that would have left just a hole in the bottom of the boat-hull... and the might even have faired over that (I know the RN SAR mark 5s did when they removed the sonar for similar reasons). The hole is simply a hole; nothing more sophisticated than that... though I suppose the USN version might be different.

Sorry if that just muddies the waters!

Thanks a lot, I think that provides me with the information I need.

The part is indeed the sonar well (with moulded in sonar) as seen from beneath. It is fitted from the inside of the bottom of the fuselage/hull part. I will cut out everything inside and make a new plain roof. As I understand the Apollo decals instructions the "wall" of the sonar hole remained and the hole was not covered down at "hull level", but rather inside the top of the recess. Painted dark (Hasegawa instructions say black) it should do the job for me.

Well, with progress at the current rate I won't be more than half done when the GB ends... so I better try to change that. Decided to get everything prepared and painted that I need to join the fuselage halves. This is how the cockpit ended up.

SeaKing_7.jpg

SeaKing_8.jpg

SeaKing_9.jpg

The exhaust part required quite some work before the two glued upper and lower halves looked like one smooth piece that also fitted well in the fuselage and its openings. The glued windows will now dry thoroughly before masking them, and then joining the fuselage for real.

Photo deleted because of content.

Edited by Greg B
Photo deleted, inappropriate content
  • Like 1