RNZAF NH90 Info sought.

Paul J

I have just acquired the Revell NH90 kit (which has Dutch and French Navy parts/decals). I really would like to build it as an NZ version and have been having a quick look on goggle images and there seem to be certain differences too numerous to mention here and tried to compare with the kit parts.

Now, I know Revell have done another issue that appears to be green in colour on the box top. And presume the sprues are identical with each having 'parts not for use' indicated.

Which of the two kits is the better to build as the RNZAF version?

And I am aware of the Oldmodels Decal range (of NZ)that feature the decals for this subject so will order a set. But I would just like some input, advice etc as to which to build for my chosen subject.

Maybe our NZ members will be helpful?

Cheers

As far as you describe it, it seems that you've bought the Naval version of NH90 (NFH). Unfortunately, the NZ have ordered the Army version (TTH) of the helo. You should have bought the other issue....or go for a what-if????

The Revell Naval version has the gubbins for the land based one in it, check Paul A H's in box look HERE in the review section.

Shouldn't be an issue to build it as either, you'd need to get a hold of the instruction sheet, though. I'd imagine that Revell have it archived as a PDF somewhere on their site.

Mike. :)

Note also that the NFH boxing shows the flotation gear fitted. Some RNZAF aircraft currently have this fitted, it is considered role equipment (we don't have sufficient sets for all the frames).

Thanks chaps. I was wondering if all those parts on the sprues (the 'unused parts' shaded in on the instruction sheet) were appropriate. From studying photos and comparing with the unused parts, they look like the ones I'd need. As suggested, I'll have a go at getting the instructions for the other version. Meanwhile I'll need to order the decals from NZ.

Cheers.

Cheers for that Nigel. Duly printed off and studied. I notice then, the Navy issue has the extra sprue and that, apart from the decals, is the main difference in the kits. So no probs really in producing a Kiwi version.

Hopefully I'll have time to include it in the Helo GB!

The RNZAF version also has a bulge on the nose that is not reproduced in the kit. So some minor scratch building is required.

I have my kit and decals ready to go :D

The TTH Boxing has the correct nose.

Having compared the instruction sheets of the two issues of the kit, all the necessary parts are there. The Navy issue having an extra sprue as mentioned above. I'll stick with this kit and study more pics to see how much in the way of any other alterations need to be done.

How ever I have found a photo, on Pict Aero I think it is, showing an RNZAF version with the big side mounted weapons pylon with a long range tank strapped to it.

http://www.pictaero.com/en/pictures/picture,174538

One thing I have noticed that could cause some work is the squarish protrusion with a kind of 'sunburst' patterned grille above and towards the rear of the side doors...

(as mentioned by NZKIWI at early part of this thread)

How ever I have found a photo, on Pict Aero I think it is, showing an RNZAF version with the big side mounted weapons pylon with a long range tank strapped to it.

http://www.pictaero.com/en/pictures/picture,174538

I asked a mate on the 90s earlier about those. Apparently we have the heavy stores carriers (big square tapering thingy above), but we don't actually have any tanks yet, possibly in the next few months. And they've not actually flown with the carriers yet either. All a work in progress.

Cheers

Gaz

Edited by kiwitrogg

There are photos in the modelling section of the Wings over New Zealand site . I could also supply some by email to those needing specific areas of the exterior .

PM sent.