1:35 AH-6J - 160th Night Stalkers SOAR Little Bird - Helo2 GB DNF

Hi Chris

Thanks for watching and thanks again for the FLIR pod. It is a shame about the figures situation. A guy HERE has done a great job of the MELB but like you say hopefully Live Resin or someone else will pull their finger out with some decent figures.

I will have a look at that Mig wash.

You should build it because it will look stunning.

I hope to get a coat of klear on it next week sometime.

Edited by snapper_city

Hi Oliver

I'm not sure on this one. I want to dirty it up a bit but still not 100% how to achieve this. I have some Ultimate Weathering Dark Wash that I want to try out.

Not really sure what other techniques I should try. Some smoke staining behind the exhaust area. Some streaking and maybe the edge highlight on the blades that you did on the huey??? What would you recommend?

Mark

Mark

I would not do a dark wash at all, I would do a reverse wash. Unbleached white (oil paint in tube) is what I did on the Huey blades and rotor..The edge on the blades to give it that faded look was done with a small straight piece of cardboard put on the blade and airbrushed at an angle. Bacically your cardboard is masking most of the blade and you are painting just the edge...remember angle to give a feathered look.

The blades were given streaks of very diluted black and grey on top to give them some life. I did do back and sprayed flay brown to simulate exhaust stains(wont work on your since engine lower). Do try the wash on a pice of painted plastic first to see if u like it. The wash will faded a lot of the paintwork too.

Here to help if u have more questions.

Oliver

• Like 1

Mark

I would not do a dark wash at all, I would do a reverse wash. Unbleached white (oil paint in tube) is what I did on the Huey blades and rotor..The edge on the blades to give it that faded look was done with a small straight piece of cardboard put on the blade and airbrushed at an angle. Bacically your cardboard is masking most of the blade and you are painting just the edge...remember angle to give a feathered look.

The blades were given streaks of very diluted black and grey on top to give them some life. I did do back and sprayed flay brown to simulate exhaust stains(wont work on your since engine lower). Do try the wash on a pice of painted plastic first to see if u like it. The wash will faded a lot of the paintwork too.

Here to help if u have more questions.

Oliver

Thanks Oliver. All great info that I will look into. I have never used oils before so will defiantly work on a test piece first. How are oil washes performed though? I will need to look into that also. One more question: Unbleached white????

Thanks Oliver. All great info that I will look into. I have never used oils before so will defiantly work on a test piece first. How are oil washes performed though? I will need to look into that also. One more question: Unbleached white????

Do you want me to post photos of how I do it on your post ? will that help u. I dont mind at all.

Let me know.

Oliver

Do you want me to post photos of how I do it on your post ? will that help u. I dont mind at all.

Let me know.

Oliver

I don't mind at all Oliver. Were they covered in your build? If so I can just look back through that. :shrug:

Thanks Oliver. That is all great info and I think I will give this method a go. I'm going to give it a coat of klear then decal followed by another varnish to seal them in. Would you say it is better to oil wash over a gloss, satin or matt coat?? I know using gloss for clay based washes will allow a lot less bite than a matt coat. I take it this is the same for oils.

Edited by snapper_city

Hi Chris. By ammo chute do you mean the ammo feed or the ejection???

86424712.jpg

The ejection scoop underneath is moulded into the rear section of the gun but isn't hollow. The ammo feed chute is a kit part but these are straight and require 'shaping' to achieve contact between the ammo storage and the receiver mechanism. I am not looking forward to this part as the chance of breaking them is probably quite high.

Thanks Oliver. That is all great info and I think I will give this method a go. I'm going to give it a coat of klear then decal followed by another varnish to seal them in. Would you say it is better to oil wash over a gloss, satin or matt coat?? I know using gloss for clay based washes will allow a lot less bite than a matt coat. I take it this is the same for oils.

Hi Mark

Gloss always best.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A small update. I have been concentrating on other builds lately so not had a lot of time for this. She has now had a coat of Quickshine (Klear alternative) so hopefully I can get some decals on next weekend.

13251137623_b2c4161427_b.jpg
IMG_3642 by Snapper_city, on Flickr
13251135703_51f295e727_b.jpg
IMG_3643 by Snapper_city, on Flickr
It is difficult to see in this shot but the blades had a spraying of grey along the leading edge. Thanks Oliver for this tip.
13251134003_bc817bd8f7_b.jpg
IMG_3644 by Snapper_city, on Flickr
  • Like 1

For the decals I used Werner's Wings - Night Stalkers sheet.

13304664673_a8154d6f94_b.jpg
IMG_3669 by Snapper_city, on Flickr
13304663093_c6c330bf98_b.jpg
IMG_3670 by Snapper_city, on Flickr
13304668543_324c74d331_b.jpg
IMG_3660 by Snapper_city, on Flickr
13304666483_5c46df6a11_b.jpg
IMG_3664 by Snapper_city, on Flickr
13304517885_6ecf0c3c84_b.jpg
IMG_3661 by Snapper_city, on Flickr
13304516045_5164c163e6_b.jpg
IMG_3665 by Snapper_city, on Flickr
13304520175_0f091bda07_b.jpg
IMG_3658 by Snapper_city, on Flickr
  • Like 1

Don't keep us in suspense for to long I'm keen to see how this wash turns out ;)

I've just got the new Black ops 1:35 MH-6M conversion & I have the 1:35 OH-58D in the stash which has moved a couple of places up in recent months, both of which will benefit from a similar treatment.

Great build, I really like it.

Cheers,

J

Looks good, I was starting to wonder if it was going to be white/grey forever! ;)

Personally I would let it rest for a little while (since it's easy to get confused about how much to add/remove if you do it all at once) and then remove some more of the wash but of course it's up to you.

/Erik

I know what you mean Erik. It's good to step back and reevaluate every now and then. Seeing as this build has been going on for so long I'm in no hurry and it is one three builds I worked on today.