Kamov Ka-50 Hokum

Smudge, how did you find the top plate join on the rotor head? Last one I did was terrible, the pin was about a size too small for the locating hole.

Yep! that's about right, both the rotor hub and the top plate location pins are way too small, I plated with card and drilled new location holes........Seems to have worked out.................Smudge

I'm very disappointed with the fit as there are some large gaps in the fuselage and having clamped/cemented it together I used Plasti-card strips over the gaps......

007_zpsd3960b64.jpg

G'day Smudge,

You are doing a cracking job with a kit that is not the best to begin with, and I am following along with interest as I have one started as well.

There is one thing that I wanted to ask you about your approach to this kit. You used plastic card to act as filler, which is a great idea as I have also experienced some gaps in the same spots, the horizontal stabiliser part for example is a particularly poor fit and like you, I wedged in a piece of styrene in to act as filler.

You have also used the styrene between the fuselage halves. I did not have any fit issues along this seam on my kit. As you correctly stated, the canopy is undersized,

3103_zpsafda025d.jpg

3102_zpsd7dc8d2a.jpg

It seems that it is about 1.5mm too short in length and a tad too short in height.

I can see how your approach to beefing up the lower portion of the canopy would help, and I intend to do something similar on mine, but wouldn't the styrene used in the fuselage seam also exacerbate the poor canopy fit by effectively making the fuselage (and hence the cockpit opening) wider than the canopy?

My canopy is actually a pretty good fit sideways, although I ditched the kit cockpit and used an aftermarket resin one from Bladefinger (ex Heliborne). It fits like a glove and it did not foul when the time came to close up the fuselage halves. I did not bother test fitting the kit tub as I knew I was not going to be using it

As I said, wizard effort so far, and keep up the pics,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy

I can see how your approach to beefing up the lower portion of the canopy would help, and I intend to do something similar on mine, but wouldn't the styrene used in the fuselage seam also exacerbate the poor canopy fit by effectively making the fuselage (and hence the cockpit opening) wider than the canopy?

Thanks Pappy, I have used the Plasti-card on top of the bad seam not inbetween the fuselage halves so it hasn't made it any wider........When it is all dry a quick sand down gets rid of the slight gaps, obviously larger gaps need to be filled, but I do prefer to avoid filler if possible.................I like the look of that cockpit replacement, I didn't know you could get one for this kit.....Is it the light or does your canopy have a greenish tinge to it?......It's looking good so far mate..............Smudge

Thanks Pappy, I have used the Plasti-card on top of the bad seam not inbetween the fuselage halves so it hasn't made it any wider........When it is all dry a quick sand down gets rid of the slight gaps, obviously larger gaps need to be filled, but I do prefer to avoid filler if possible.................I like the look of that cockpit replacement, I didn't know you could get one for this kit.....Is it the light or does your canopy have a greenish tinge to it?......It's looking good so far mate..............Smudge

G'day Smudge,

That makes a lot more sense now.

Here are a few more pics of the painted cockpit (apologies for the thread hi-jack)

Ka-50HBcockpitupdate1019-1.jpg

Ka-50HBcockpitupdate1016-1.jpg

Ka-50HBcockpitupdate1017-1.jpg

Ka-50HBcockpitupdate1013-1.jpg

Ka-50HBcockpitupdate1039.jpg

I tinted the front of the cockpit glass to simulate the armored portions

Now, back to your build!

cheers,

Pappy

Very nice Pappy, looks good mate.......

I have built the rotor and and she is up on her u/c legs and does not need any weight in the nose to sit right.

003_zps586868b8.jpg

I've added the pipework to the head, I think it is to do with the ejection system....................

006_zpsc28ccb1c.jpg

I used stretched sprue and copper wire..............

007_zps94210519.jpg[/url]

I re-worked the rocket pods with Plasti-card and electrical pins.......but, I'm not too sure I like them.....

008_zps14e3b2fc.jpg

Smudge

Yep, Looking good, Smudge.

Just latched onto this thread.

I sent a PM to Breaker. His unfinished kit,

Convert it into a Gerry Anderson space fighter.

It wouldn't take much!

Wondering if there is a 1/48th Hormone going cheap?

Not that I have time to build it!

Too many other builds lined up.

Fling Wing Rules!

Pete

G'day Smudge,

Great work, she is really coming along now. I may have to pinch some of your ideas for my build, keep theb pics coming,

cheers,

Pappy

Thanks for the nice comments everyone, you can pinch anything that takes your fancy Pappy...

It's had a coat of Halfords grey primer, so it looks like all the various bits and pieces belong.....

001_zpsce144c48.jpg

The canopy has been masked off and the seat and gun has had detailing added..............

002_zps92c732db.jpg

I will give it another quick coat of primer then on with the black.......

005_zps6777a4c3.jpg

It will be finished to represent the "Blackshark" aircraft as it was displayed at an arms fair in Dubai in 1998.....

Smudge

• Like 2

Thanks for the nice comments everyone, you can pinch anything that takes your fancy Pappy...

It's had a coat of Halfords grey primer, so it looks like all the various bits and pieces belong.....

It will be finished to represent the "Blackshark" aircraft as it was displayed at an arms fair in Dubai in 1998.....

Smudge

Great progress Smudge.

One thing you may want to consider however (if not too late), I cut off the gun's flash suppressor and re-attached it after rotating it 90 degrees. This is how the gun on production examples looks, unsure if your 'Blackshark' was different as it was a pre-production or early production example?

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 2

Thanks again Pappy, you are spot on with the guns muzzle, and it has been turned 90 deg', I had not noticed that, thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow.................Smudge

Well, someone needs to keep you honest!

Pappy

• Like 1

Great progress Smudge.

One thing you may want to consider however (if not too late), I cut off the gun's flash suppressor and re-attached it after rotating it 90 degrees. This is how the gun on production examples looks, unsure if your 'Blackshark' was different as it was a pre-production or early production example?

cheers,

Pappy

I didn't know this!

Thanks Pappy, even this is not my thread...

001_zps0656b3fa.jpg

The Hokum has been sprayed with Halford's appliance white and gloss black and is all ready for the decaling....I have been pulling my hair out looking for that green the Russian's used on their wheels, and just checking in another kit (Academy SU-27) I found a tin of the stuff.......I won't tell you what the Missus called me......

Smudge

The Hokum has been sprayed with Halford's appliance white and gloss black and is all ready for the decaling....I have been pulling my hair out looking for that green the Russian's used on their wheels, and just checking in another kit (Academy SU-27) I found a tin of the stuff.......I won't tell you what the Missus called me......

Smudge

G'day Smudge,

Looks mean, me likeee!

What was the green paint you eventually chose? I was planning to use Testor's Model Master "Russian Armor Green" myself.

Not far to go now!,

cheers,

Pappy