Trumpeter King Tiger

Cheers Pagey.

As I mentioned earlier, I've been working on the main components for the drive train. Here are the parts in a basic coat of paint awaiting some washes.

DSCF2759.jpg

I dry fitted all these parts into the hull to get an idea of how it will all look. See what I mean about a lot of red oxide...

DSCF2770.jpg

DSCF2772.jpg

It looks ok like this but once the upper hull is on it all gets a bit darker.

DSCF2776.jpg

And it gets darker still with the turret in place.

DSCF2777.jpg

It's going to need some weathering to break up the monotone apperance. I think once the lighter coloured components are in place it will break things up a bit and help draw the eye away from the masses of red oxide.

Cheers

Matt

Looks really good Matt!

I know the dilemma you are going through, how much effort do I put into the interior when at first impressions the outside is what some body else will probably focuses on!

The interior of your KT is top notch, I'm impressed and and I'm sure most others are too. I always remember from looking at other models after quite a few years now, no matter how much effort the interior was, both Aircraft and AFVs or Space, if the outside finish is not right, the eye will never go past, to look at the interior efforts.

My recent builds, along with others follow this trend. luckily for me the last project - Randy Cooper ISD is a good example. Most people like and enjoy looking at the finished article but are not aware of what was envolved on the inside workings to create the accuracy and detail in The origins.

Nor will they want to know or get interested, possibly?

I will post my KT build ASAP. I will super detail my interior as a much as possible anyway

PHIL

Edited by Silverstone 2

Phil

Schumo barrels available at TankZone, I got my Henschel barrel here. The barrels are halfway down the page, both Henschel and Porsche.

http://tankzone.co.uk/cart/acc_kt.htm

Thanks for the link. anyone used this with the Aber muzzle before.

The 2 questions i have about the Schumo: how each end will work? I guess the Aber muzzle will fit straight on, but looks like a lot of surgery will be nedded to get the big end to fit onto the existing gun firing mechanism of the original KT?

Any Tips or experience will be much appreciated!

Phil

• Like 1

Good question Phil, I was going to ask the same thing when my Brake arrives. I'm assuming it will fit straight on as it's designed for the Schumo barrel but it's the turret end that I have been mulling over.

The muzzle also has an adapter to fit to the Trumpeter barrels if you want to go down that route. As for fitting the schumo barrel to the rest of the gun, god knows! I think you might have to be inventive there. Maybe build an adapter piece to slot into the the rest of the gun?

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I got to work with the pigments, starting on the engine bay and working forward through the fighting compartment. It's still a work in progress and the lighting in the photos don't really do it justice. I've tried to keep the weathering restrained but I had to make the engine bay rather dirty, seeing how easy it would of been for dirt to enter through the vents.

DSCF2782.jpg

DSCF2789.jpg

DSCF2788.jpg

DSCF2793.jpg

The weathering has been concentrated around the crew positions, with the rest being more of dusting.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 2

Cheers guys :)

There will be a few oil and fuel stains, as well as some grease and grime around lubricated parts. These will be quite restrained though as the tank I'm modelling had a rather short service life. I'm going more for a dirty look than anything else, in keeping with operations during the battle of the bulge and the weather in the Ardennes at that time. I'm trying to be very careful not to overdo it!

• Like 1

I think you've got that pretty much spot on Matt, as you say given a short service life it would be easy to overdo it. What did you use for the dusting on the engine if I may ask, it looks very effective

Martin

Edited by Ridgback

For the engine dusting I used a mixture of Vallejo yellow ochre and natural umber pigments, mixed heavily with water to create a pigment wash. I then applied the wash to all the recesses where dust would accumulate and left it to dry. Once it was dry I used cotton buds and a stiff brush to tidy things up and remove excess pigment. Finally I dusted over the whole thing with dry pigment to blend it all in.

Its quite an easy process but it's best to practice it on something first. It's quite easy to flood an area with far too much pigment!

• Like 1

Thanks Edelweiss. Good luck with the Hachette Tiger, your going to have a real challenge on your hands there!
Just a small update for you guys. I managed to get the gearbox, drive shafts and a couple of other parts finished and fitted. There's not really much to say here, it was all pretty straight forward using the same painting and weathering techniques as on the other parts. The radio operators seat was scratch built using magic sculpt as the kit item is just a basic lump of plastic. I am rather happy with how the driver's position has turned out so far :)
DSCF2819.jpg
DSCF2822.jpg
DSCF2816.jpg
DSCF2831.jpg

DSCF2828.jpg

I'm currently working on the driver's seat and some other small items which will be fitted soon, along with some additional wiring and the fighting compartment floor.

Cheers

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, thanks very much for your very kind comments :)

Unfortunately, this project is on hold yet again. Our home renovations have gone far more in-depth than originally planned and the amount of dust around the house has put any further painting on hold. Hopefully we will be finished in a few weeks but until then, the Tiger will have to remain sealed up and packed away :( I did however pick up a 1/72 panzer III so I will at least have something to build in the meantime which won't get too dusty before it's finished!

Cheers

Matt

• Like 2

The muzzle also has an adapter to fit to the Trumpeter barrels if you want to go down that route. As for fitting the schumo barrel to the rest of the gun, god knows! I think you might have to be inventive there. Maybe build an adapter piece to slot into the the rest of the gun?

I have now had a play with the barrel and it takes surprisingly little effort to fit. The Schumo barrel has a black plastic ring which needs to be removed, this leaves a small stepped section. On the plastic breech section there is a flat where the kit barrel fits, if you use a round file and take this out the Schumo barrel slides in and fits perfectly. Looking at it now I think Schumo may have actually designed it like that so it can easily be adapted to fit the Trumpeter kit as well as the Tamiya kit?

Just to update, the adaptor piece that the kit uses to hold the spring in place which the kit barrel slides into is not used.

I thought it may need all sorts of work doing to it, perhaps as you said making an adaptor but the above has worked out fine for me.

Edited by Ridgback

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

While the house is still far too dusty to continue painting, there is nothing stopping me from building some of the remaining parts. I decided to tackle the most demanding part left of the build, the radio racks. Trumpeter decided to provide just 4 parts to cover the entire radio system and instrument panel which unsurprising, lack a lot of detail and some parts are just plain wrong. These are the trumpeter parts built up.

DSCF2835.jpg

DSCF2836.jpg

The top radio is moulded upside down and the crew compartment ventilator is attached to the transformer, when it should be attached to the hull roof. Overall it is a really lazy error from Trumpeter, especially in this scale. Fortunately, AFV Modeller has released a replacement set with resin radios and and a photo etch frame.

DSCF2843.jpg

Unfortunately for me, my soldering skills are rubbish and there is no way the assembly will hold together with just superglue. So I decided to use the PE parts as a guide and build the rack from plastic card. It's taken a fair amount of time to build but it was reasonably straight forward.

DSCF2841.jpg

DSCF2840.jpg

DSCF2837.jpg

There is still a lot more to do but that's the basic rack done. I'm dreading building all the wiring though!

Cheers

Matt

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers guys :)

Another small update for you.

Wiring for the pto fitted

DSCF2910.jpg

Gyrocompass transformer (afv modeller resin part) fitted and wired up

DSCF2914.jpg

Gyrocompass (afv modeller resin part) fitted and wired up. Drivers seat also finished and fitted

DSCF2915.jpg

DSCF2916.jpg

DSCF2919.jpg

You can see in some areas where the dust has managed to get in but it's not too bad. The camera really seems to exaggerate it, far less visible to the eye. Also, just for fun, I fitted the wheels, turret and main gun. Gives a good idea of overall size and roughly how it will be displayed once finished :)

DSCF2907.jpg

Hopefully the work around the home will be finished in the next week or so, then I can really get going again at last!

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1