Trumpeter King Tiger

Matt, I have a question if you don't mind? When you replaced the cooler fan blades, did you attach the new blades with a butt joint (I see they are curved) or did you slot the hubs to receive the blades? Did I see somewhere that you are a Boeing A/C driver? I work on the 787. See you and thanks for sharing!

Hi Brian,

I think you may be thinking of Phil (Silverstone 2). Sadly, my job is much more mundane than that!

I would like to take on the Panzer IV but I don't think I have the space for it. I have the Hobbyboss 1/16 Tiger lined up as my next big project but I'm not sure where I'm going to put that one yet.

With regards to the fan blades, they are just a simple butt joint. I cut the edges with a circle cutter to create the curve to fit around the center disc. Then I smothered the joint in glue which slightly melts the plastic card. It allows you to make some adjustment to the joint which is how I added the slight curve to the blades. It's pretty straight forward to do, cutting all the blades to the right size and shape is the hard part. I went through quite a lot of plastic card trying to get them right.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

Matt,

Thanks for the advice. I am watching these builds with awe. I have the Pz IV (and the Tiger II) , but I am beginning to consider doing the new Classy Hobby 1/16 Luchs Pz II for practice. It is a bit smaller and I can get spooled up for the big builds, honing my technique. Sounds fancy. I simply need to get used to seeing the details and how to add them. For room, there is always the chicken coop to sleep in... . at least It would be warm in there :)

Take care and have a good day, Brian

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. For those trying to buy one of the Trumpeter 1/16 scale King Tiger (TSM -910) kits, they know that they are difficult to find. I looked up the US distributor for Trumpeter, Stevens International ( www.stevenshobby.com ) and emailed them this weekend asking if they knew when the kit would be in stock. I just received a reply and they said that they expect the kit to arrive this week. There goes another pile of money... I have the original Porsche Turreted version with the clear parts included. I want the Porsch/Henschel version for my build. Brian

Matt, can I ask what size bolts you used for the side skirts? Scale Hardware do loads lol

Hi Martin,

These are the bolts I used.

http://www.scalehardware.com/product_tech_info/simulated-micro-hardware-c-47/1-5-mm-simulated-hex-bolt-brass-qty-20-p-361

If you are using the Aber fenders, Dimension D (0.9mm) is slightly too big for the holes. I had to file the slots in the fenders and the holes in the mounting blocks for them to fit. It's only 0.1mm difference so it's not much extra work.

You also need 42 bolts if you are going to fit all the fenders but they come in packs of 20. I left a few off as I'm not fitting all the fenders so If you need the extra two bolts, let me know. Pretty sure I still have them in the spares box.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

Cheers Matt, looks like I will be ordering some of those. I am not planning to fit all the fenders either, still going to do Dollingers 213 that is currently at La Glieze and contemporary pics show it missing a couple of fenders, but if I change my mind and go full fender I will take those extra 2 off you :)

Hi guys,

I've now got most of the hull finished. Most of the details are in place and the tracks are finally on.

P1000133.jpg

P1000124.jpg

P1000134.jpg

P1000137.jpg

P1000132.jpg

Finally, with the turret on and a 1/35 Tiger for scale.

P1000140.jpg

On to the turret next I think :)

Cheers

MAtt

• Like 4

Thanks chaps :)

Matt, sorry to be a pain and ask so any questions. Can you tell me what PE sets you have used for the exterior please?

No problem Martin, happy to answer any questions. The main pe set is Voyager PE16003, with a couple of scrap parts from an old Aber set. The flat grills are from Voyager PE16004 and the raised grill is the kit plastic & PE parts. The Voyager PE isn't quite as detailed as Aber's but is much cheaper and easier to work with. I was going to replace everything with pe but some the kit parts are quite good, so I didn't bother with the extra work.

Oh, wow, it looks like the side skirts can simply be latched onto the hull of the tank. :)

As you say, the side skirts can be latched on/off at any time. It was a bit of a pain setting them up to be workable, getting them to sit right etc but I think it was worth it. Should come in handy come painting time :)

Brilliant Matt. All that brass work PE will all be hidden by your paintjob soon. Fantastic job done.

Hopefully won't be too long until I get to the paint job. The turret internals shouldn't take too long as most of it has already been built. Just some welds on the exterior and some minor fit issues to solve first then it's back to the airbrush :)

Cheers

Matt

• Like 2

It's getting exciting..... If you don't do a completely amazing paint job after all this time and effort sir, you deserve a good thrashing with a piece of soggy lettuce!

Regards,

Badder.

PS How big is your diorama base going to be?

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

It's getting exciting..... If you don't do a completely amazing paint job after all this time and effort sir, you deserve a good thrashing with a piece of soggy lettuce!

Regards,

Badder.

PS How big is your diorama base going to be?

Or a good slap with a wet fish! Honestly, I'm quite apprehensive about painting the exterior. It's going to be a huge job and I'm not sure how I'm going to tackle it. I have decided on the camo scheme but that's about it, still not sure on what paints I will use, level of weathering etc.

Same with the base. All I know at this stage is that the base needs to be 70X25cm for the tank to fit inside a display case with the turret facing forward. If I want the turret turned to the side, it will have to be more like 65X50cm. Finding a space in the house for a display case that large is also another issue I haven't resolved yet!

Thanks Matt :) Now the next question, where did you get them from?

I found them on Ebay. They come up from time to time at very good prices.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 2

Or a good slap with a wet fish! Honestly, I'm quite apprehensive about painting the exterior. It's going to be a huge job and I'm not sure how I'm going to tackle it. I have decided on the camo scheme but that's about it, still not sure on what paints I will use, level of weathering etc.

Same with the base. All I know at this stage is that the base needs to be 70X25cm for the tank to fit inside a display case with the turret facing forward. If I want the turret turned to the side, it will have to be more like 65X50cm. Finding a space in the house for a display case that large is also another issue I haven't resolved yet!

Cheers

Matt

How about blowing it up, turned on its side with its turret off, engine covers open so you can see everything inside, a bit of fire damage etc...?

I am of course, joking.

I don't envy you. I'd be petrified.

Regards, Badder.

• 3 weeks later...

I am suffering withdrawals. I hope all is going well. :)

Hi Brian,

No real progress to report at the moment. I'm stalled as I have nowhere I can use the airbrush at the moment. Not sure when I'm going to get the space back but it's probably a good thing to have a break. I'm hoping it won't be too long until I get going again.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

Matt, Better safe than sorry, esp. after all of your hard work. I do know from personal experience that coming down the home stretch taking pause is often the wise choice. Keep it up, do what you think is right, we can wait!

Good luck, Brian

P.S. I am held myself as it was decided that I build a new laundry/linens room before I get a hobby room, tough but fair is her motto! :weep:

Edited by Turtle