Trumpeter King Tiger

Interesting that you attached the rear plate to the upper hull. I can see how that could be a real advantage withe fit.

My apologies for not posting my progress with my KT. My airbrush booth needed some serious refit regarding proper ventilation.

All is up and running now, so some serious time and effort will be going into my build. So there will some big updates before Christmas!

Phil

Edited by Mike
Removing unnecessary photo quote
  • Like 2

Thanks chaps :)

Phil, it certainly helps with the bowing. The rear now sits almost perfectly in place and it has helped straighten out the sides for a much better fit overall. I didn't entirely think it through though. Now the upper hull has to be slid into place, which is fine with the standard kit parts. However, the extra side armour I have fitted is making for a very tight fit. I now have to apply quite a lot of force to get it properly in place. It's not a big deal, just something I don't want to be doing too often. I'm looking forward to seeing your next update.

Cheers

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I've continued work on the upper hull interior. The turret ring retaining bolts have been added.

DSCF3301.jpg

Next I fitted the conduit which feeds the aerial cables to the rear of the tank. I had to cut it short as it won't fit behind the rear right ammo rack.

DSCF3303.jpg

Then on to the rotating periscope for the driver. The main part of this is from AFV modeller but some of it had been broken while in storage, so I built some replacement parts.

DSCF3310.jpg

Finally, I built up the hull mg. As with the coax mg, I replaced the barrel with an Aber item and also removed the stock. Unfortunately, Trumpeter did not provide any of the parts for the ammo feed rail so this had to be built from scratch. The open mg ammo sacks are also AFV modeller items.

DSCF3314.jpg

DSCF3316.jpg

DSCF3318.jpg

Finally, an overall view of the front upper hull.

DSCF3322.jpg

Just a few more parts to build now, then I can get this all painted.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

A small update. I've added a few more parts but the bulk of the work has been on cleaning up the upper hull, getting it ready for painting.

On the front I've added the base of the headlight and the hinges for the front mudguards

P1.jpg

On the rear plate, I added the hinges for the rear mud guards and the mount for the convoy light

P1000064.jpg

I then added the retaining bolts for the sideskirts. Aber provide brass rod and PE bolts with the sideskirts but they would need to be soldered together to use them. I decided to replace them with some very nice solid brass bolts from scale hardware.

P1000070.jpg

Finally, I built the mg ammo rail which sits under the turret ring. I've also made an extra bracket which holds the second demolition charge but it cannot be fitted until the upper hull is in place.

P1000075.jpg

So it's all ready for a lick of paint, hopefully this weekend :)

Cheers

Matt

• Like 6

Very nice job! Very professional. Thank you for sharing this with us. I have bough a copy of the Pz IV H as practice for the King Tiger. In my dreams I will do a build like yours (good luck to me :hanging: ).

Have a nice day and thanks again!

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments guys :) Turtle, good luck with your Panzer IV build, hope to see some progress soon.

Well, it's taken me longer than I expected to get the upper hull painted but it's pretty much done. The paint job didn't turn out quite as well as planned, had some airbrush issues but not too much of it will be seen anyway.

P1000078.jpg

P1000079.jpg

P1000080.jpg

Quite happy with how the MG34 has turned out. The resin ammo belt from AFV modeller is very nice.

P1000087.jpg

P1000085.jpg

So, just some touching up and fine tuning to be done now before the hull pieces are finally glued together. I've updated my photography setup so the the next update should be some good quality photos of the completed hull :)

Cheers

Matt

• Like 7

Thanks guys :)

The hull is now together and the glue setting. I'm going to have to let if set overnight before removing the clamps so no photos yet. However, I have taken some higher quality photos of the completed hull parts. Below are some forum friendly photos but for those that are interested, the full resolution photos can be found here: http://s1158.photobucket.com/user/MattTullier/library/King%20Tiger%20Hi%20Res%20photos

P1000090.jpg

P1000092.jpg

P1000093.jpg

P1000095.jpg

P1000097.jpg

P1000098.jpg

P1000103.jpg

P1000106.jpg

P1000116.jpg

P1000113.jpg

P1000114.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks very much chaps :)

To be honest, it's a big relief to finally reach this point. I never thought I would still be working on this 2 1/2 years later, let alone still have so much left to do. The upper hull is now firmly in place, just tidying it up before I begin adding all the welds and details. Thankfully the exterior is quite bland in comparison to the interior so it shouldn't take too long (by my standards!).

Thanks to all those that have and still are following this build. It's got to be one of the slowest in forum history!

Cheers

Matt

• Like 2

Matt, I have a question if you don't mind? When you replaced the cooler fan blades, did you attach the new blades with a butt joint (I see they are curved) or did you slot the hubs to receive the blades? Did I see somewhere that you are a Boeing A/C driver? I work on the 787. See you and thanks for sharing!

• Like 1