1/72 Hobbyboss SH-60B Seahawk HSL-51 'Warlords' - DONE!

Hi all,

Have been really looking forward to this GB for a while now and have pulled this one from the stash.

HobbybossSH60SeahawkBox_zpsd0faed6d.jpg

Kit contents/sprue shots..

HobbybossSH60Seahawkcontents1_zps7c6d860

HobbybossSH60Seahawkcontents2_zpsa209603

Clear parts, decals and colour paint guide.

HobbybossSH60Seahawkcontents3_zps3cece84

This is going to be OOB but instead of the kit decals, I'm hoping to go with an aftermarket set for HSL-51 Warlords - really like that tail scheme!

sh60b_hsl51ta700_zpsd942e02c.jpg

Thanks for looking and good luck with your builds!

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245

Dermot - glad to see you are in this one..this should be interesting. Love those colours and that tail art - very eyecatching.

Philip

(I will be entering myself towards the end of the week with something from an earlier time....)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

So right out of the box, this is a nice kit with some decent interior detail but sadly missing in others - for example, the centre pilot's console is completely bare and no decals come with the kit (but the main instrument binnacle has got good detail!) Oh well, break out the stretched sprue so..

4F1B69EB-5079-4832-8973-FA9725D76439-130

Good to see the sonarbuoy dispenser for the cabin but it's a little plain on the what will be the open door side, so I added some slivers of round sprue. Should look ok when painted and washed. Also added some stretched sprue detail to the roof panel above the cockpit and some of the bulkheads themselves (probably won't be seen!)

4EFFAC84-476E-40FA-A50F-098C8D27F58D-130

Nothing done to the seats or the operators' control panel which has really nice detail on it.

Thanks for looking!

Dermot

• 2 weeks later...

So here's some interior pics before it gets buttoned up and disappears (mostly).

Front office. Was happy how the homemade centre console detail turned out!

The kit didn't come with any collectives so scratched those too (not in this pic). Also moved the cockpit bump (right side) to accomodate that.

HobbybossSH60Int1_zpsefab18bc.jpg

And in the back. The bulkhead nearest the camera will be hidden inside the fuselage so no need to fix.

HobbybossSH60Int2_zps7f83cda2.jpg

Now that I look at it, maybe a teeny map for the sonar ops table?!

HobbybossSH60Int3_zpsf97a2a61.jpg

Thanks for looking and enjoy your builds.

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245

Dermot

That's a lot of very nice detail work - congrats! (I do hope it will be seen from outside, but, even if not, you (and the rest of us here on Brit) will know that it's there.)

Philip

• 2 weeks later...

Nice-looking sheet, I ordered it last week the schemes are so colourful. I also like the fact that you can build every scheme, not just one or two. I look forward to seeing how the decals perform on your model :)

Arnaud

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got some paint on this one. The grey is hard to see under the light (and mobile phone camera) but trust me it's there!

Also got the first coat of red on her tail.

HobbybossSH-60Seahawkpaint_zpscf2de00a.j

Thanks for looking.

Dermot

• 4 weeks later...

So finally some more progress on this one. As she was late last night, ready for decals (apologies in advance for the crappy phone camera pics)

HobbybossSH-60paintsm3_zps6cdc3ad9.jpg

And a while later with the distinctive markings of the Warlords...

HobbybossSH-60decalsHSL51sm1_zps77c544f9

HobbybossSH-60decalsHSL51sm2_zps14d75687

This was my first time using decals by Print Scale. I'm no decal expert but would say;

What was good...

• they snuggled (?!) down very well over any raised details
  • Really nicely printed, especially the warrior Musashi and rising sun
  • Stuck to the plastic very well, especially across the curved part of the tailboom.
  • Very good price considering all the other options on the sheet

What wasn't so good..

• They were incredibly thin - the 'eyes' decals on the tailplane curled like a be-jeepers and it took me no end of coaxing, watering (and the odd swearing) to get them straight and true
  • Almost impossible to move once I had placed them on the surface.
  • No stencils on the sheet other than rescue arrows. And I had to borrow the engine housing stars'n'bars from the Hobbyboss set.
  • Instructions were non-existent - just a side profile (small) of the a/c

In the second photo above, you can probably make out that the red of the rising sun decal didn't quite match the red on the tail that I had painted (decal was a different shade) So I spent the rest of last night trying to touch in the decal with very thinned red paint. It's mostly worked I think (in the last photo) and will see how it looks again later on this evening.

Thanks for reading and enjoy your builds.

Dermot

• 2 weeks later...