Some of the mass of avionics that is to go in the back:

IMG_4662_zps0b42c06a.jpg

Cockpit installed:

IMG_4664_zps77000ae9.jpg

IMG_4666_zpsa7115560.jpg

IMG_4667_zpsb7c684ac.jpg

Interior so far:

IMG_4668_zps7bd00b4d.jpg

Still some bits to add, namely the last of the avionics and some other some details. Also need to try and source some seats for the cargo bay as none are included in the kit and the Pave Lows were fitted with some on either side just behind the ramp. Interior does look a bit messy and there are a few bits I need to tidy up, but almost all of it will become invisible anyway!

More to come.

Dave

Edited by DaveJL
  • Like 1

Looking very nice, particularly the cockpit. The thing which puts me off resin cockpits is all the detail you have to paint, but you don't seem to be having any issues with it :)

Looking very nice, particularly the cockpit. The thing which puts me off resin cockpits is all the detail you have to paint, but you don't seem to be having any issues with it :)

Thanks mate. Resin cockpits are very easy to paint. I just use a selection of cocktail sticks to pick out all the detail.

Dave

Another afternoon spent on the interior. One thing that is a glaring problem on this kit is the lack of a roof for the main cabin, so I decided to fashion one from parts of an Italeri blackhawk kit and some wire. I have no solid references of the roof, so i just used my imagination:

IMG_4669_zps4a5861a7.jpg

And painted:

IMG_4672_zps05ad3342.jpg

Had a fiddle about and I think the best way to fit it will be to slide it in once the fuselage halves have been closed up. I then moved on and started adding more bits to the interior. I fashioned a very crude spine board from other pieces of the Italeri kit:

IMG_4670_zps6556b028.jpg

Built up the bugger that was the avionics rack. I did cheat in the sense that I left out a shelf :lol:

IMG_4671_zps923c2502.jpg

I managed to find a set of 1/48 M4 carbines in the stash. It's amazing what you find in there!

IMG_4677_zps1ebc7a0e.jpg

Started putting all of this into the interior, along with some wire, more bags, the ammunition bins for the door guns and the ammunition chutes:

IMG_4673_zps87a5f5b9.jpg

IMG_4679_zpsd7714372.jpg

IMG_4676_zpsdf7bf619.jpg

IMG_4678_zps6dd34acf.jpg

I attached all the hanging bits with scrap etch straps (some are hard to see, such as the brackets for the M4s) to make them look like they are properly attached to points within the cargo bay. Then moved on and built up the engines and sponsons:

IMG_4682_zps6fb370fb.jpg

IMG_4683_zps7ed36d7d.jpg

A few shots of the roof dry fitted:

IMG_4685_zpsdd90d28b.jpg

IMG_4686_zpsd3cfc1f4.jpg

Assembled the huge chunks of resin that are the Cobra Company fuel tanks:

IMG_4681_zps0bc0b114.jpg

Finally for today, I made up a fast rope from an old bathroom light pull:

IMG_4680_zps7c3da002.jpg

And painted:

IMG_4687_zps5c054b07.jpg

I've ordered a 1/48 MH-60K so i should be able to pinch the bench seats from that to put in the rear of this. Once they are in, there are one or two more things to add then i can close up the fuselage and crack on with the rest of the kit.

More to come.

Dave

Edited by DaveJL
  • Like 1

Anyone any idea what colour 'battle grey' would be close to? The Cobra Company set says it's all over 'battle grey' but gives no FS number.

I'm thinking gunship grey. Any ideas?

Coming along nicely but the old kit is showing it's age somewhat!

Colin

Cheers Colin. Yeah, it's a bit rough in some areas and the mouldings have the classic raised Revell date and 'stamp' :lol:

There are updated sprues and the exterior detail is good, if a little simplified, throughout. If I was being picky, i'd have added full interior detail but it won't be seen when closed up and my skills wouldn't be able to cope!

Dave

More done today. First up, I pinched some bench seats from a MH-60K kit I bought last week. Added some tape to mimick the seat belts:

IMG_4703_zps672daa7f.jpg

Painted and installed:

IMG_4704_zpsd2cba7ff.jpg

IMG_4705_zps12f4319d.jpg

Once these had dried, it was time to close up the fuselage:

IMG_4706_zpsfc7ac42f.jpg

Fit wasn't too bad, a bit dodgy on the undersides but that can be cleaned up. Left that to cure for a few hours then I added the crude roof i'd made up. A few shots of the interior now that it's done:

IMG_4711_zpsa795587c.jpg

IMG_4713_zps3ce35302.jpg

IMG_4712_zpsb5577b0b.jpg

Cobra Company overhead panel fitted to the front glazing:

IMG_4710_zpsbc328481.jpg

Fitted the sponsons along with the glazing:

IMG_4717_zpsb26beec0.jpg

[url=http://s1207.photobucket.com/user/davelyall/media/B-1/IMG_4720_zpsdeb0c9b9.jpg.html]IMG_4720_zpsdeb0c9b9.jpg

Roof of the tail boom area:

IMG_4719_zpsae3255f7.jpg

Half of this will be covered by the upper section of the ramp and then i'll add the support beam for the fast rope.

Next up is to add the engines and start adding the rest of the resin pieces.

More to come.

Dave

Edited by DaveJL
  • Like 1

More done today. First up, I added the big resin lump which holds the FLIR, radar etc at the front of the fuselage. The fit is poor and a lot of filler was required:

IMG_4728_zpsff2e2c05.jpg

Engines attached:

IMG_4729_zps112cd0c7.jpg

Added all the antennae and lumps etc. The Cobra company set does not provide all of the antennae so I had to fashion some from styrene sheet. The supports for the IR jammers on the sponsons were made from styrene tube.

IMG_4730_zps18758c6b.jpg

IMG_4731_zps81b87d7b.jpg

IMG_4732_zps2adf0372.jpg

IMG_4736_zpsa6e8923f.jpg

There is no rescue hoist included in the kit so once again I robbed parts from a donor MH-60 kit:

IMG_4734_zps60dcc4cf.jpg

The panel where the cargo hook would be has been filled in with a piece of styrene as the MH-53 had the hooks removed. Pretty sure the hatch was used for fast roping along with the ramp. The green plastic looks very messy but it's not that bad :lol:

Size comparison between this and my AH-6:

IMG_4737_zps0ad42a0f.jpg

Next up is to tidy up the front section and add the last few details.

More to come.

Dave

Edited by DaveJL
  • Like 1

Nose section tidied up, glazing masked, last of the lumps and bumps added, searchlight attached and refuelling probe glued in place:

IMG_4747_zps2ee781cf.jpg

IMG_4748_zpsd5282cd0.jpg

IMG_4750_zps2ffa01c5.jpg

Added some wire along the top of the probe as per reference pictures:

IMG_4749_zps13e6bd45.jpg

Same with the searchlight:

IMG_4752_zps268ec516.jpg

Overall view:

IMG_4753_zps7f85ceb3.jpg

Just need to clean up a bit of glue overspill here and there then mask off the cabin windows and the rear opening and it's ready for paint. Should get it done before the deadline!

More to come.

Dave

Edited by DaveJL
  • Like 1

Looking frigging awesome dude !

Waiting for her warpaint with anticipation

• 2 weeks later...

Finally some paint on! A few coats of Tamiya AS-27 'Gunship Grey 2' over the primer:

IMG_4788_zpsb1743ba7.jpg

IMG_4789_zps294e04b9.jpg

IMG_4790_zps87f76d85.jpg

Built up the main rotor too.

IMG_4786_zpsd62d0ed6.jpg

Size....

IMG_4787_zps843e435c.jpg

Next up is to paint all the details on the airframe and start assembling the .50cal set up on the rear ramp along with the fast rope etc.

More to come.

Dave

• Like 1

Thanks mate. It is huge and i've no idea where i'm going to put it. The span of the rotors is rather awkward!

Should have more done on Sunday.

Thomas, the AH-6 is 1/48!

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

I dont consider it a waste of time doing stuff like that. Its the personal acheivement and enjoyment , even if ill never turn a plane upside down after its finished i still like to work on the wheelwells etc for my own benifit. I love it when skillful ppl like you do thst sort of thing, it makes me think maybe i can do that too.

I dont consider it a waste of time doing stuff like that. Its the personal acheivement and enjoyment , even if ill never turn a plane upside down after its finished i still like to work on the wheelwells etc for my own benifit. I love it when skillful ppl like you do thst sort of thing, it makes me think maybe i can do that too.

Certainly not a waste of time, and was very much enjoyable! I'm happy it's some sort of inspiration for you :thumbsup2: