help

tomcat-20

Hi I'm pretty new to modling and not sure if I'm posting in the right part of this forum just have a couple of questions how do you guys make your own dust cover for intake and exhaust nozzels? Remove before flight tags and crew ladders?. Many thanks :)

Welcome to the hobby! FOD covers are what you're after! Personally I put them on most of my models, because a. they're normally fitted on parked jets and b. I hate filling and sanding the intake trunking!

The hard flat plate type, as fitted to the earlier harriers, jaguars etc are pretty easy to make from plastic sheet (plasticard). Just draw round the intake before you mount it then cut out and trim to shape. The inflatable style ones are more tricky. I've never managed to get the creases to look like realistic material, maybe someone out there has a tip!

Help is at hand though as most popular kits are catered for with aftermarket parts, either resin, photo etch or pre cut vinyl.

The sames true for RBF tags, there are paper printed ones or prepainted photo etch ones available.

If you've got any specific aircraft in mind I'm sure someone will have a suggestion.

Phil

Edited by SaintsPhil

If you need thin plasticard, there's some in almost every shop: plastic plates and cups are often made with polystirene ! The problem is that most plastic plates are not completely smooth but have a pattern on the flat side. This makes them useful for some applications (I use these for the padding seen in helicopters and other types cabins) but not for the most mundane ones

Hi, Tomcat-20.

A big welcome to this forum.

I have seen people using tissue paper / kitchen roll soaked in water-thinned white glue to produce the fabric FOD covers on model aircraft. I would guess that there's a real knack to it, but the ones I've seen look very cool indeed.

Hope this helps.

Chris.

If you're looking for plastic card, rods, tubes etc try Modelzone if in the UK, or if you can find one an independent model shop. Glue, files, clamps, filler etc etc can all be found for reasonable prices.

Trevor