Sukhoi Su-22UM3K KP + CiroModels 1/48

Excellent built, Arkady.

Great painting too: I especially like your fantastic weathering on bottom surfaces.

If you don't mind, I would have few reservations regarding markings and armament (as always, this is not meant internally, but exclusively as help!):

- Iraq has got only 18 Su-22M-3Ks and 3-4 Su-22UM-3Ks, and they served only with al-Bakr AB-based No.69 Squadron (in the West, al-Bakr is better known as 'Balad'). Although this sub-variant proved highly successful in combat, no additional examples were purchased: the Iraqis instead went for the more advanced Su-22M-4Ks and then Su-25s. Anyway, this means that practically 'everything' is known about Iraqi Su-22M-3K/UM-3Ks - except for their original serials. Namely: before 1988, the IrAF was applying serials in sequence with aircraft's delivery date. And since Su-22M-3Ks arrived in Iraq only in early 1984, they received serials somewhere in range 49xx-51xx.

In 1988-1989, the IrAF began applying 5-digit serials. First two digits denoting the type, the third the variant, and the last two individual aircraft. That means: as applied on your modell, these serials would show an aircraft as from the times after the war with Iran, but before the times of the 1991 'Gulf War' (or 'Second Persian Gulf War'). Then: on 15 January 1991, on order from Saddam Hussayin, all the IrAF aircraft have received the 'Takbir' inscription ('Allah-u-Akhbar'), in green, on the white field of their fin flash.

Now, known serials applied on surviving IrAF Su-22M-3Ks around that time were in range 22516-22672. Obviously, they were applied randomly, with plenty of gaps in between. Few aircraft were already missing due to losses from war with Iran and attrition in training, and some of serials in this range were also applied on their Su-22Ms (meanwhile locally-modified to standard designated 'Su-22M-2K'). Serials of Iraqi Su-22UM-3Ks were in range 22521-22529, again, with many gaps in between.

That means: provided 22662 ever existed (there is no definite evidence), then it was a Su-22M-3K. Namely, 22661 and 22663 did exist and both were evacuated to Iran, in late January 1991 (where they remain until today). Ditto with Su-22UM-3K with serial 22521, just for example.

- Application of the 'roundel' (i.e. 'triangle) on top wing surfaces: this was applied when the aircraft was parked on the ground, with wings fully-swept, and with its top corner pointing straight ahead. Obviously, when wings were fully spread forward (like on your modell), then the national marking was pointing some 40 degrees inwards. This might appear 'awkward' to us, but was 'standard' for IrAF ever since they've got their first MiG-23MS', in late 1973 and early 1974.

Furthermore, these triangles were applied much further inwards (their inner corner nearly touching the unpainted wing surface on Su-20/22s, 'hidden' when the wing was fully swept back) - and this on both, top and bottom wing surfaces.

So, sorry, on your modell, these are 'too far away' from the wing gloves, and in wrong position.

- The use of Kh-25 ASMs is a great idea, then the Su-22M-3K was Klyon-equipped and delivered together with Kh-25MLs and Kh-25MRs to Iraq. Plus, when deployed in combat (rarely, but still), Su-22UM-3Ks and Su-22UM-4Ks were either used as 'Wild Weasels' (i.e. for SEAD), or as PGM-carriers (armed with Kh-29s).

- But, the use of B-8M and gun-pods... 'unheard of', at least in Iraq. They simply never ordered nor ever got such weapons. UV-32-57 rocket pods, SPS-141MVG, above-mentioned Kh-25s and Kh-29s, and then various sorts of FAB-500 GP-bombs, and 800-litre drop tanks, yes, but sorry: nothing else.

In summary: you've got a fantastic build. Really, my hat is off for detailing. :goodjob:

Just, as so often when it comes to 'Arab' aircraft, it's breaking my heart to see un-authentic serials and markings in un-authentic positions... :weep:

• Like 1

Excellent built, Arkady.

Great painting too: I especially like your fantastic weathering on bottom surfaces.

If you don't mind, I would have few reservations regarding markings and armament (as always, this is not meant internally, but exclusively as help!):

- Iraq has got only 18 Su-22M-3Ks and 3-4 Su-22UM-3Ks, and they served only with al-Bakr AB-based No.69 Squadron (in the West, al-Bakr is better known as 'Balad'). Although this sub-variant proved highly successful in combat, no additional examples were purchased: the Iraqis instead went for the more advanced Su-22M-4Ks and then Su-25s. Anyway, this means that practically 'everything' is known about Iraqi Su-22M-3K/UM-3Ks - except for their original serials. Namely: before 1988, the IrAF was applying serials in sequence with aircraft's delivery date. And since Su-22M-3Ks arrived in Iraq only in early 1984, they received serials somewhere in range 49xx-51xx.

In 1988-1989, the IrAF began applying 5-digit serials. First two digits denoting the type, the third the variant, and the last two individual aircraft. That means: as applied on your modell, these serials would show an aircraft as from the times after the war with Iran, but before the times of the 1991 'Gulf War' (or 'Second Persian Gulf War'). Then: on 15 January 1991, on order from Saddam Hussayin, all the IrAF aircraft have received the 'Takbir' inscription ('Allah-u-Akhbar'), in green, on the white field of their fin flash.

Now, known serials applied on surviving IrAF Su-22M-3Ks around that time were in range 22516-22672. Obviously, they were applied randomly, with plenty of gaps in between. Few aircraft were already missing due to losses from war with Iran and attrition in training, and some of serials in this range were also applied on their Su-22Ms (meanwhile locally-modified to standard designated 'Su-22M-2K'). Serials of Iraqi Su-22UM-3Ks were in range 22521-22529, again, with many gaps in between.

That means: provided 22662 ever existed (there is no definite evidence), then it was a Su-22M-3K. Namely, 22661 and 22663 did exist and both were evacuated to Iran, in late January 1991 (where they remain until today). Ditto with Su-22UM-3K with serial 22521, just for example.

- Application of the 'roundel' (i.e. 'triangle) on top wing surfaces: this was applied when the aircraft was parked on the ground, with wings fully-swept, and with its top corner pointing straight ahead. Obviously, when wings were fully spread forward (like on your modell), then the national marking was pointing some 40 degrees inwards. This might appear 'awkward' to us, but was 'standard' for IrAF ever since they've got their first MiG-23MS', in late 1973 and early 1974.

Furthermore, these triangles were applied much further inwards (their inner corner nearly touching the unpainted wing surface on Su-20/22s, 'hidden' when the wing was fully swept back) - and this on both, top and bottom wing surfaces.

So, sorry, on your modell, these are 'too far away' from the wing gloves, and in wrong position.

- The use of Kh-25 ASMs is a great idea, then the Su-22M-3K was Klyon-equipped and delivered together with Kh-25MLs and Kh-25MRs to Iraq. Plus, when deployed in combat (rarely, but still), Su-22UM-3Ks and Su-22UM-4Ks were either used as 'Wild Weasels' (i.e. for SEAD), or as PGM-carriers (armed with Kh-29s).

- But, the use of B-8M and gun-pods... 'unheard of', at least in Iraq. They simply never ordered nor ever got such weapons. UV-32-57 rocket pods, SPS-141MVG, above-mentioned Kh-25s and Kh-29s, and then various sorts of FAB-500 GP-bombs, and 800-litre drop tanks, yes, but sorry: nothing else.

In summary: you've got a fantastic build. Really, my hat is off for detailing. :goodjob:

Just, as so often when it comes to 'Arab' aircraft, it's breaking my heart to see un-authentic serials and markings in un-authentic positions... :weep:

Thanks! Where were you during the construction of this model?

Think I spent half of my lunch break just staring at every single tiny detail on this model! Just brilliant, my jaw actually hit the floor! World class effort!

Great model you turned out again!!!!!

:clap2:

some small questions i could not find answers in the in progress build:

what did you use to replicate the exhaust nozzle? looks nice! any more pictures?

I would also really like a head on shot if you have one!!!

and some small remark concerning the detailed and very helpful remarks from Tom Cooper:

advice always comes, normally a little bit late! I know what I am speaking of....

Edited by exdraken

Great model you turned out again!!!!!

:clap2:

some small questions i could not find answers in the in progress build:

what did you use to replicate the exhaust nozzle? looks nice! any more pictures?

I would also really like a head on shot if you have one!!!

I used plastic parts form Su-27 nozzle and PE Part:

UM3K006_zps238e783c.jpg

UM3K005_zpsdd885c50.jpg

and some small remark concerning the detailed and very helpful remarks from Tom Cooper:

advice always comes, normally a little bit late! I know what I am speaking of....

Good to know right person before starting next Middle East theme. For me is not a problem.

Outstanding build! Man, you guys really crank out the fitter kits around here... I need to get to work on mine!

It looks awful clean to be an Iraqi machine, but it's hard to fault such an exquisite painting and detail job! :)

Thanks! Where were you during the construction of this model?

My most sincere apology (and that's serious): have been away for much too long - in part because I simply could not log in to my account here, in part because of my various research/write/publish obligations. :pilot:

Though, if I might brag a lil' bit: I paid back some of my dues to modell-builders too. Ed Okun's Syrian MiG-21MF won the 'Best of Show' price at IPMS USA Nationals and Chris Hahn's Iraqi MiG-17 won a similar price in Austria.

My most sincere apology (and that's serious): have been away for much too long - in part because I simply could not log in to my account here, in part because of my various research/write/publish obligations. :pilot:

Though, if I might brag a lil' bit: I paid back some of my dues to modell-builders too. Ed Okun's Syrian MiG-21MF won the 'Best of Show' price at IPMS USA Nationals and Chris Hahn's Iraqi MiG-17 won a similar price in Austria.

I found Ed's MiG-21MF http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal10/9801-9900/gal9811-Mig-21-Okun/00.shtm

but I could not find Iraqi MiG-17...