1/72 Revell Tornado Black Thunder +++FINISHED+++

AndyC

I've decided to enter a second Revell Tornado - having learnt all the idiosyncrasies from build #1, I am going to do the Black Thunder boxing...

Bought for £8.50 at a show it will be a simple OOB build. The box shot...

001_zps0d4448df.jpg

Parts are still in their original wrapping

002_zps5d39cf1e.jpg

Decals

003_zps8f12bb02.jpg

See you soon once I have an update!

See, once you've built that first one, you'll be able to build this without the instructions, they're so easy! I've only glanced briefly at the instructions for my two.

Sean

Hey Phil - remember your build and will be using it as a reference! Had already planned to cut the decal!

I wish Revell would put the wing sweep area decals in all their kits (The ones in the bottom left corner), save a job masking the damn things! Well I think that's what they are looking at them...

I wish Revell would put the wing sweep area decals in all their kits (The ones in the bottom left corner), save a job masking the damn things! Well I think that's what they are looking at them...

I'll need to check my other kits, the Eye of the Tiger deffo has them...

Just seen your first Tornado and thats a cracker...watching this one too :popcorn:

Andy

If it passes muster with you mate - I'm happy!

I forgot to say earlier, you may want to shorten the front oleo as the one supplied by Revell is more appropriate for an empty Tornado i.e no engines no armament etc. Otherwise the model sits with a weird nose up attitude.

Sean

I forgot to say earlier, you may want to shorten the front oleo as the one supplied by Revell is more appropriate for an empty Tornado i.e no engines no armament etc. Otherwise the model sits with a weird nose up attitude.

Sean

Bit late for Build #1...but see what you mean!

Well now "Eye of the Tiger" is done, I've got cracking on this...

Cockpit parts were sprayed Dark Gull Grey and then the panels and IP's were sprayed US Light Grey. Seats were Olive Green and belts painted Buff. The canopy will be shut, so was happy to use the decals which look OK for the panels and IP. All glued up ready for a nose-weight before the cone goes on.

001_zpsc6fc6d28.jpg

002_zps8fefb905.jpg

003_zps8ad07af6.jpg

In pretty short order, I got the wings together and the wing gloves glued in the rear fuselage - I am fitting tailplanes late in the build (hence the brass rod CA'd in place) and the wing pylons will be glued rather than moveable.

001_zps3eee1890.jpg

Rear fuselage glued and mated to the forward portion - better join than my other build for some reason.

002_zps04d7de31.jpg

Fin on and nose-weight added and cone in place...

002_zps04d7de31.jpg

Jet pipes have been assembled. Undercarriage will be assembled before painting (correcting a mistake from my first build!). Bowling along quite nicely! Thanks for looking

• 2 weeks later...

I've been snowed under at work this last fortnight, so all my current builds have been slow...

Got the fin on this one and masked up the canopies - I fitted the pitot and predictably have knocked it off again - this time I beat the carpet monster and have it in safe keeping for attachment later! Here sge is rubbed down and ready for priming

002_zps8e5f0634.jpg

As everything (bar u/c and sidewinders) is black, I attached the pods and tanks to the pylons before painting. I got the whole lot primed over 3 nights and sprayed the wheel wells, u/c and sidewinders white

003_zps79b3a398.jpg

Finally tonight I got un upper surface coat of Tamiya X-1 Black. I'll wait for that to dry before doing the underside and the tail planes. It will need a rub-down and a second coat as my airbrush is playing up a little

006_zps53e52e2b.jpg

I want to get this into a position where its ready for decals by Sunday/Monday. Ta for looking.

Good going Andy.

Next time you do the wells and u/c......paint them a very very light Grey as white always looks too clean on these mucky beasts :winkgrin:

Looking forward to seeing those decals go on .

Andy

• Like 1

Good going Andy.

Next time you do the wells and u/c......paint them a very very light Grey as white always looks too clean on these mucky beasts :winkgrin:

Looking forward to seeing those decals go on .

Andy

Thanks Andy - will do although I'm going to give them a Flory wash anyway :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I'm calling this done and here she is, entry No.2! Finished as 44+21, JBoG31 "Boelcke" celebrating 125,000hrs use of the Tonka

It's a good kit but not my best build...I struggled with the black finish surprisingly and regretted using Tamiya Semi-Gloss Black as I can never get it to spray without a slightly rough finish - I'm not using it again.

To that end there is some slight silvering in parts on the decals. I managed to tear the red/yellow striped in a couple of places but it's hardly noticeable.

Anyway here are the pics rather than starting an RFI - I will post in the gallery later and thanks for looking. I was going to start another but that's it for me - I'm Tornado'd out (and will be leaving 1/72 scale for a while!).

The photos aren't the best as my camera has gone weird on me!

016_zpsb9e9d322.jpg

015_zps5a541803.jpg

014_zpsf703b32c.jpg

013_zps0b826d09.jpg

012_zps072d243c.jpg

010_zpsc6a7668d.jpg

009_zps9b4388a9.jpg

008_zps585268ae.jpg

007_zps847c97c3.jpg

005_zps558a311a.jpg

Cheers Andy! I think that's my 6th overall although (as you well know), this one was much smaller than the 1/32 ECR beast! I have 3 more special Luftwaffe kits to go and one in 1/48. I will get round to an RAF one soon!

Thanks to Sean and Rick - I would like to have done another but life caught up with me! I will do the others in the near future as they are such lovely kits although looking at the "Boelcke" and "Black Panther" boxes, there is some tricky masking!