RAAF PR CA-18 Mk. 21/23 Mustang - 1:72 Red Roo Models

RAAF PR CA-18 Mk. 21/23 Mustang Conversion

1:72 Red Roo Models

prca181.jpg

In order to fulfil their need for a fast photo reconnaissance aircraft, the RAAF took the decision to convert a number of their CA-18 Mustangs to make them suitable for the role. The first 14 CA-18 Mk. 21 and the last 14 CA-18 Mk. 22s were duly modified with the addition of both vertical and oblique F.24 cameras in the fuselage behind the cockpit. All of the PR Mustangs were fitted with the US-built Packard equivalents of the Merlin 68.

prca182.jpg

prca183.jpg

Red Roo's conversion set is designed to be used with the Tamiya or Hasegawa kits. It includes the oblique and vertical camera ports, a set of De Havilland Australia 'cuffless' paddle propeller blades, a CAC CA-18 moulded seat, decals and an instruction book. The resin parts are nicely cast, being very fine and free from bubbles. The seat in particular is an absolute gem, with a very thin backrest. The decals are also very good. They are crisp and clear just what we have come to expect from this manufacturer.

Where Red Roo really stand out this is in the quality of their instructions. Although this is a relatively simple conversion, the instructions are a full 22 pages and are packed with colour and black and white photographs, diagrams, colour profiles, original aircraft manual drawings and historical notes. Decal options are included for:

• A68-84, the third CA-18 Mk. 21 to be converted which was fitted with a combination of bomb racks and rocket rails under the wings;
  • A68-92, which was fitted with rocket rails only;
  • A68-187, which was owned by Adastra Airways of Bankstown, NSW following disposal by the RAAF; and
  • A68-200, which was the last of the photo reconnaissance Mustangs to be delivered to the RAAF.

Conclusion

From what I've seen, this set is pretty much perfect. It is easy to use, the subject is interesting and all of the individual components are of high quality. The instructions are a feast of information too. If this kind of subject interests you, then this set comes highly recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of
forum-logo.gif

• Like 1

Paul,

I have this set and will certainly agree on the wealth of detail provided in the instructions. Although intended for the Hasegawa and Tamiya P-51 kits, I think it'll be a cinch to use it for the new tool Airfix number, especially if you use it with the F-51 boxing which comes with the cuffless prop anyway. I'll also agree as to the quality of the resin bits, lovely stuff!

Mark.