1/72 Airfix Gloster Gladiator Sprue Pictures from Wonderland Models

Possibly VAT. Not every price quoted on the internet includes that, especially prices from outside the UK.

The Netherlands VAT rate is 21% so that on top of €7 would make it €8.47, which is £7.20 at the Friday closing exchange rate.

Possibly VAT. Not every price quoted on the internet includes that, especially prices from outside the UK.

The Netherlands VAT rate is 21% so that on top of €7 would make it €8.47, which is £7.20 at the Friday closing exchange rate.

You are possibly correct re the VAT. In fact I hope you are correct. However, as this price was mentioned in a review, rather than an advertisement, it's probably fair to assume the reviewer was quoting the price including VAT.

I can see it's bothering you but I'm not sure why.

It's an unsubstantiated, unsourced, piece of information, and even if it's correct then so what? There's no fixed "retail price" anyway. For manufacturers and wholesalers, any attempt to set a fixed retail price for goods such as this is illegal in the EU. There's a price that a given retailer is prepared to dob things out for on a given day. The Hannants price is different from the Wonderland Models price, is different from the Relish price. Some retailers sell things for different prices via different channels one price in the shop, another price at a show, a third price on eBay as "buy it now". Sometimes the eBay prices are well above what they would charge in the shop!

Amongst the many possibilities:

1. The reviewer typed the price incorrectly.

2. The reviewer accidentally lifted the wrong price from a website. Easily done - here's a model shop in Amsterdam which puts the net-of-VAT prices in big writing, and the VAT-inclusive prices in small writing: http://www.aviationmegastore.com/quicksearch/LM51bec977bcb5064e4aba9cd72c/airfix

3. It's a wholesale price accidentally transcribed as a retail price.

4. A shop somewhere has put the wrong price on a kit box or website. I've certainly seen that before. I've bought things at those prices before, too.

5. Someone's doing a market-share-building exercise and undercutting their competition. That's also nothing unusual, with or without the internet.

Edited by Work In Progress

It's not "bothering" me at all. Clearly your concerns about my concerns far outweigh my concerns about the price of a single kit.

The Airfix website lists the price at £7.99. I'm not actually concerned what other, individual, retailers sell their stock for, that's up to their business model. I am well aware of all the variables in the actual retail price of any particular item. The price given in the Dutch review was part of that review and therefore might be considered an accurate reflection of the actual street price, rather than some special offer or target price.

I merely draw attention to an "apparent" (large) price discrepancy for the same item between two countries and leave it there. Nothing more. I shall be purchasing it from my usual (you know who you are) UK stockist.

I took a look on the Aviation Megastore website & they are indeed advertising the Gladiator at 7 Euros including VAT , BUT the postage to the UK is 15 Euros plus 5% of the order value . Even within the Netherlands it's 8.95 Euros . Looks like they're discounting the product , then getting the money back on the shipping

OK. I had decided to say no more. However, if you are a Dutch modeller and you buy it at 8.95 Euros (inc VAT and postage) that's only £7.67. If you are a Dutch modeller and you can get it for 7 Euros from your LMS, then you are quids in (literally).

I don't actually have a problem with that. If shops in The Netherlands can afford to heftily discount a brand new release, good luck to them. I still can't see how they could make a profit at that price without the wholesale price being lower.

I've just bought mine from my LMS for £7.99, the same retail price as quoted on the Airfix website.

Er, no. if you look at their shipping costs page it's €8.95 plus 5% of the kit price just for P&P. The price of the kit itself is on top of that.

It's a weird operation, which seems to be targeting overseas sales, and does all carriage via UPS.

Very strange.

http://www.aviationmegastore.com/info/shipping.php?shopid=LM51bec977bcb5064e4aba9cd72c

Edited by Work In Progress

OK. However, it appears the Netherlands is S1 therefore there is no extra 5%.

I will agree with you that looking at their shipping charges within the Netherlands it does seem exorbitant . It certainly wouldn't persuade me to buy from them. I'm definitely with you regarding it seeming a strange operation.

However, they do have the kit on offer at 6.95 Euros and, as I said, if a Dutch modeller can get it at that price from his LMS ( not this place) he's quids in.