1/32nd scale B-29 Superfortress

Holy chocolate digestive biscuits! THAT. IS. FREAKING. AMAZING.

:wow:

I think one advantage of not following the work in progress threads too closely is that things like THIS come right out of the blue and really surprise me! :yahoo:

Props to you sir, unreservedly. :)

That is a splendid, mammoth modelling project, superbly executed. :worthy:

I still remember watching the documentaries on the attempted salvage of the real Kee Bird. It was heart breaking when she went up in flames. IIRC, it was the APU not being securely fastened to the mounting brackets which started the fire. I also recall one of the guys involved actually died from working in the freezing temperatures, trying to get her airborne again.

Yours is a very fitting tribute. :goodjob:

Tom,

Watched this epic build from start to finish. Absolutely outstanding. Pure modeling at its best.

Thank you for taking the time to document it and share it with us.

All the Best!
Don

Good luck finding a shelf big enough for that monster! I think you'll need a table to display that... Bet the wife's eyes bulged a bit when she saw how big it was. :yikes:

In regards to the build itself - what else can I say that hasn't already been said? Absolutely amazing and some brilliant scratch building!

Thanks for sharing

MH!

Thank you for your feedback... I'm glad you like her!

To answer the question on storage of a model like this... well I certainly haven't got a shelf big enough so she currently resides on our spare bed along with a 1/32nd Lancaster and a 1/72nd Boeing 747. How long my dearly beloved will let me get away with that for I don't know... After she's been to a few model shows I may have to see if I can loan it to a museum somewhere with more display room than I have! (The B-29... not the wife!)

Regarding my next project... I'm hoping to get the new HK 1/32nd B-17 soon to replace my Combat Models one; that'll probably keep me amused for a while. However, vacs are strangely addictive, and I have an ID (Tigger) Models 1/32nd Shorts Sunderland and a 1/32nd Vickers Wellington from Combat Models grinning at me from the stash and begging to be built so it's likely I'll succumb to one of them sooner rather than later!

Congratualtions Tom, a truely inspirational build, you're a credt to the hobby. Thanks for sharing your pics and keeping me entertained over the many weeks of the build.

Good luck with your next project.

Colin

Just to reiterate what others have said, stonking build and a very enjoyable WIP to follow, with lots of useful ideas and inspirational photos! Well done sir!

Regarding my next project... I'm hoping to get the new HK 1/32nd B-17 soon to replace my Combat Models one; that'll probably keep me amused for a while. However, vacs are strangely addictive, and I have an ID (Tigger) Models 1/32nd Shorts Sunderland and a 1/32nd Vickers Wellington from Combat Models grinning at me from the stash and begging to be built so it's likely I'll succumb to one of them sooner rather than later!

Ooh, Sunderland. Go on, you know you want too. ;)

There are no words to describe this.. I must say that following this build has been a true joy and the end result.. Unbelievable!! It's simply stunning!!

I bow to thee, master! :hypnotised::goodjob:

Great stuff Tom,

Thanks for sharing your efforts it must have quite the presence in person, I like the dining table display since it gives a feel for it's size and I'm sure would be a great talking point for any guests at your table.

Cheers,

Daniel.

Excellent build would love to see it at a show. You must have a very understanding other half, as I know how much time and effort these things take, mine I'm affraid gives me to much grieve if I'm away to long up staird modeling

Good evening

"and congratulations on your magnificent work, knowing that for a" coating "also simplistic and coarse this mold, it can't do miracle and it is a shame in the light of your investment to the Interior of this machine which is quite remarkable and to mounted 3 copies of the"monogram", it is much more precise and similar , even with a relief coating...
1/32 amateur I do I invest not on this model, where a certain admiration for you...
Kind regards

Thank you once again for the kind words... it seems the hard graft was worth it!

Now... when to start a B-50 conversion... :hmmm:

Tom

absolutely superb, just an observation though, on your trial fit pictures of the nose leg it was kicked out forward making the lower portion vertical but now it isn't, which one was correct?

I think that anyone who followed your build, and appreciates the work that you had to do to turn this from a vacform shell to what it is now, will truly appreciate what a great model you've ended up.

Total respect from me for some seriously good modelling skills.

Pete

absolutely superb, just an observation though, on your trial fit pictures of the nose leg it was kicked out forward making the lower portion vertical but now it isn't, which one was correct?

The upper part nose wheel leg should be just beyond vertical and angled slightly forward, and the lower part of the leg should be beyond vertical and angled more towards the rear (photo's used for illustrative purposes only):

44-86379.jpg

6893181252_20bf3fbde0_z.jpg

And my effort:

DSC_0021.jpg

Not the best of angles as it's a three-quarter view, but it does angle forwards at the top and the lower part towards the rear.

Tom